Jeep JK Wrangler Brake Pedal Rattle Fix Write-Up

JeepFan

Hooked
I finally got a chance to work on my rattling brake pedal.

WARNING!!! ATTEMPT THIS WORK-AROUND AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Complaint: Loud rattle from under drivers side dash and steering column while driving on rough wash board roads.

Cause: Excessive brake pedal lever play.

Correction: TBT

For reference, take a look at the video to get a better idea of the issue I'm experiencing.

https://youtu.be/AW32HdVNSfY

The video shows that there is an excessive amount of play between the brake pedal lever and aluminum support housing.

This play is not present on my 2009 Wrangler so I can only assume there is a problem with the housing or the brake pedal lever shaft is too small on my 2015 JK.

The rattle is caused by excessive up/down and side to side play in the brake pedal lever.

My idea to alleviate the excessive play is quite simple and effective. How long it will last is anyone's guess. Hopefully FCA will get back to me at some point with a real fix but for now, I can live with my temporary fix.

Here's what I used:

1' of 3/4" heater hose.
Razor blade or other sharp cutting device.
2 heavy duty cable ties.

The idea is to cut a piece of hose long enough to fit tightly between the brake lever and housing. Slit the hose so it will fit around the brake lever pin.

1. For a tight fit, I cut a section of hose 2.5" long. The extra hose will come in handy if you mess up the first cut. (ie. if you cut the hose too short)
2. Slit the hose lengthwise.
3. Slip the hose around the brake lever pin.

WARNING. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO DISTURB THE CLIP THAT HOLDS THE BRAKE BOOSTER PLUNGER ONTO THE PEDAL LEVER!!!!!

4. Use the 2 cable ties to hold the hose in place.

View attachment 188009

View attachment 188010

The hose prevents the excessive side to side play thus eliminating the rattle.

I drove over several very rough wash board roads and so far it's good.

Time will tell..

Your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• 20160213_105637.jpg
    20160213_105637.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 446
  • 20160213_104926.jpg
    20160213_104926.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
So any more pics of the clip in question in the warning? And what you mean by "disturb?" Ramifications?

Aside from that, this looks fairly easy of a fix.

JeepFan

Hooked
So any more pics of the clip in question in the warning? And what you mean by "disturb?" Ramifications?

Aside from that, this looks fairly easy of a fix.

View attachment 188104

Clip circled in red above secures the brake booster push rod to the brake pedal arm. While you will be working in close proximity to this clip, you want to be careful not to (disturb) knock it loose or bend it. The clip does move freely but, is designed to lock on to the pin. Just pay extra attention to how it's attached and you'll be fine. If the clip was to somehow fall off, the push rod could detach from the brake pedal causing a complete loss of brakes. Capiche?!

Attachments

• 20160213_104926.jpg
    20160213_104926.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
View attachment 188104

Clip circled in red above...It secures the brake booster push rod to the brake pedal arm. While you will be working in close proximity to this clip, you want to be careful not to (disturb) knock it loose or bend it. The clip does move freely but, is designed to lock on to the pin. Just pay extra attention to how it's attached and you'll be fine. If the clip was to somehow fall off, the push rod could detach from the brake pedal causing a complete loss of brakes. Capiche?!

Thanks for the detail. [emoji106]

Futuraforce

Well, I know what I will be doing this week on my 2016 wrangler.
I know this is an older thread. Just wanted to say thanks!

rl206

Well, I know what I will be doing this week on my 2016 wrangler.
I know this is an older thread. Just wanted to say thanks!

If it weren't for your post I wouldn't have seen this found another thing for my to do list tomorrow!:rock:

harrynode

May not apply to 2017 model

Thank you very much for giving me hope :thankyou:

I tried to fix the rattling (driving me nuts). However, my JK 2017 Rubicon doesn't have same design like your 2016. I ended up using a bungee cord to eliminate the play :clap2:

Top Bottom