Shop/Garage recommendations in Reno/Tahoe/Carson area for re-gear

benatc1

Hooked
Not sure if this is the the right place for the post, however In the next month or two I will be planning on re-gearing my 2012 Jk, going from 3.73 gears to 4.56 and while I do the majority of my own work and installs Im not comfortable with installing new gears. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good place to go get this done, basically looking for quality work at a price that is reasonable (or maybe a place with a smoking deal!!). I do not plan on adding a locker. Ive lived in Reno, NV for a bit over 2 years but don't know of any quality shops yet. willing to drive a bit if necessary, Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have lived in Reno for the better part of 40 years. Unfortunately, I haven't found a shop I trust yet. You might shoot a private message to MTG. I think he had his gears set up over in Sparks at some small shop and I don't believe he has had any problems. I'm not sure how much it cost though. Meanst had Lithia do his gears and has had no problems. Lithia wasn't cheap though (I think around $1k just for the labor and he purchased the gears online).

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I was about to ask the very same question. I will be having my re-gearing completed at ORE this Spring however I need to bring the vehicle in after the gear break-in period to not void the warranty.

MTG?

benatc1

Hooked
Sharkey, thanks for the information, to bad there isn't a great shop here in town. Wish I could make a trip to ORE to have it done but don't know if I'll find the time, though with their special it might be worth the trip depending on what I come up with. I'll shoot MTG a message and see if he has anything to say.

ChiliDawg

Bump - where'd you end up getting this done Ben? Anyone ever find a shop locally to get this done at? I've got an estimate from 4WP but it's not cheap. They're quoting me about $2k just for the re-gear and $3k to add an e-locker in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
Bump - where'd you end up getting this done Ben? Anyone ever find a shop locally to get this done at? I've got an estimate from 4WP but it's not cheap. They're quoting me about $2k just for the re-gear and $3k to add an e-locker in the rear.

I found it to be more expensive up here to get gears done. I got mine done at Adam's High Rolling Customs. I was happy with their work, he has a gear guy whos been doing gears for a long time. I paid 1900 for just rear arb/ and 4.88 gears and rebuild. had my front axle built to bolt in so didn't need the front done. still kinda pricy though.

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have any of you priced out 4 Wheel Parts? Down in SoCal, they sub-contract a mobile company that goes around from shop and their prices seemed to be okay.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I found it to be more expensive up here to get gears done. I got mine done at Adam's High Rolling Customs. I was happy with their work, he has a gear guy whos been doing gears for a long time. I paid 1900 for just rear arb/ and 4.88 gears and rebuild. had my front axle built to bolt in so didn't need the front done. still kinda pricy though.

Really that's not that bad. ARB is what, $1100? $200 for gears and rebuild kit? So $600 for install isn't horrible if they were running air lines and all that.

ChiliDawg

Have any of you priced out 4 Wheel Parts? Down in SoCal, they sub-contract a mobile company that goes around from shop and their prices seemed to be okay.

Yeah that's the only quote I have right now is from them. Their labor cost seems a bit high to me. $2k total to re-gear to 4.56

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really that's not that bad. ARB is what, $1100? $200 for gears and rebuild kit? So $600 for install isn't horrible if they were running air lines and all that.

Yeah, sounds about right to me as well. Just tough when you've got shops like ORE doing it for $999. Of course, that's SoCal and there's a lot more competition down there.

Yeah that's the only quote I have right now is from them. Their labor cost seems a bit high to me. $2k total to re-gear to 4.56

Okay, good to know and apparently, about ballpark for what people are paying up here.

benatc1

Hooked

I guess your right when you break it down. I ran the lines but it just seemed high to me for only the rear end but your right it would only be 1600ish for a totally regear which really isn't bad.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess your right when you break it down. I ran the lines but it just seemed high to me for only the rear end but your right it would only be 1600ish for a totally regear which really isn't bad.

Whoa, wait, that was just for the rear? Okay, that seems a bit high for sure.

EDIT: just re-read and saw that price was with the ARB locker, the price still seems about right. Maybe a bit high but not too bad.

benatc1

Hooked
Whoa, wait, that was just for the rear? Okay, that seems a bit high for sure.

EDIT: just re-read and saw that price was with the ARB locker, the price still seems about right.

lol!![emoji106] , we'll all least I know I didn't get hosed on the deal then! would have been nice to be able to just shoot over to ORE for their price though!

chillidawg you should check them out at least and see what it'll run you. just a side note, he will strongly recommend 4.88s though- which I'm glad he did. most people here were saying 4.88 but being I still had it as a daily like you I wanted the 4.56 but after Adam pushed me that way along with enough people here I went for it and couldn't be happier. just a thought, your ride though- not sure what your stock gearing is

ChiliDawg

lol!![emoji106] , we'll all least I know I didn't get hosed on the deal then! would have been nice to be able to just shoot over to ORE for their price though!

chillidawg you should check them out at least and see what it'll run you. just a side note, he will strongly recommend 4.88s though- which I'm glad he did. most people here were saying 4.88 but being I still had it as a daily like you I wanted the 4.56 but after Adam pushed me that way along with enough people here I went for it and couldn't be happier. just a thought, your ride though- not sure what your stock gearing is

I've had it suggested and I'm thinking about it. I'm at 3.21 now so either 4.56 or 4.88 will be a drastic improvement. What's the deal with ORE? I keep seeing that $999 thrown around, is that the what they're getting to do the front and rear?

The only thing about that is they're down in the LA basin right? I've been told you're supposed to drive short distances only for a period of time afterward to break in the gears.

benatc1

Hooked
I've had it suggested and I'm thinking about it. I'm at 3.21 now so either 4.56 or 4.88 will be a drastic improvement. What's the deal with ORE? I keep seeing that $999 thrown around, is that the what they're getting to do the front and rear?

The only thing about that is they're down in the LA basin right? I've been told you're supposed to drive short distances only for a period of time afterward to break in the gears.

yea you will see a big improvement either way, yes they do both front and rear for $999, great deal but your right you'd have travel to LA and then really take your time coming back as there is a break in period. Probably wouldn't be ideal unless you were already making a vacation out of it or getting big work done there

ChiliDawg

yea you will see a big improvement either way, yes they do both front and rear for $999, great deal but your right you'd have travel to LA and then really take your time coming back as there is a break in period. Probably wouldn't be ideal unless you were already making a vacation out of it or getting big work done there

Damn. To save a grand that's some consideration. What do we have to do to get them to open a shop in Reno? [emoji1]

Top Bottom