Detroit Lockers

1stbaserobo

I am in the market for new gears and lockers. I have called a shop in So Cal where I live for a quote on the products I would like to use. By all accounts the shop has received great reviews. When I told them I wanted Detroit's front and rear with Nitro 4.88 gears he said "I'll call you back." From the call back he proceeded to tell me Detroit's were no good in a JK because they were sloppy. Sloppy means they would cause my computer to have fits and would put the jeep to sleep. He then quoted me for ARB air lockers and Motive gears...not sure if the compressor was included in the price or not. I'm currently running 3.73 gears with an Aussie locker up front and have yet to have any problems with handling or my computer. Was this just a slick upsale or has Detroit be making unsafe lockers for JK's the last 11 years? If anyone is running full Detroit's I would be very interested in your experience with them. Also a recommendation for a good shop in the Inland Empire will also be appreciated. Thanks

Grubbicon

I have Detroits front and rear for my 1 ton swap but have yet to drive with them. My dad is running a Detroit in the rear of his TJ and IMO auto lockers are the way to go because of its simplicity, but thats just me.

It appears your Jeep is a 2008. If your profile is correct you wont have any problems with Detroits. The Jeeps that are 2012+ the computer doesnt get along with the auto locker in the rear and will cause limp mode when the tires start to skip. I believe most companies make that know.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Any automatic locker, like the Detroits, can cause problems in the JKs and throw it into Limp Mode. So while it's not really a lie, it sounds like poor wording. For an automatic locker, Detroits are probably the best. For the JKs though a selectable locker like the ARBs are the best.

Edit to add: I think it's just the 2012+ JKs.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Auto lockers are no Go on 2012 and newer models, ask me how I know...

BTW, now running a Yukon Zip Locker...

Strider

A shop here in SE MI that's been doing diff's for all applications including racing and have been around for a long time and are very dependable and trust worthy refused to install a Detroit Locker in the front diff. of my 15. I ended up going with TruTrax front and rear. Love the TT's. They said the Detroit up front isn't safe for on road use.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I personally don't like any automatic locking in the front. Prefer ARB or Elocker in the front. Just me!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I am in the market for new gears and lockers. I have called a shop in So Cal where I live for a quote on the products I would like to use. By all accounts the shop has received great reviews. When I told them I wanted Detroit's front and rear with Nitro 4.88 gears he said "I'll call you back." From the call back he proceeded to tell me Detroit's were no good in a JK because they were sloppy. Sloppy means they would cause my computer to have fits and would put the jeep to sleep. He then quoted me for ARB air lockers and Motive gears...not sure if the compressor was included in the price or not. I'm currently running 3.73 gears with an Aussie locker up front and have yet to have any problems with handling or my computer. Was this just a slick upsale or has Detroit be making unsafe lockers for JK's the last 11 years? If anyone is running full Detroit's I would be very interested in your experience with them. Also a recommendation for a good shop in the Inland Empire will also be appreciated. Thanks

Here is a good thread on the issue. You have a 2008, so I don't think you'll have a problem.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=23283

geberhard

Douchebag
for thos ethat have issues with Detroits, have you disabled traction control via programming? I am planning like Grubbi to run Detroits on a 2010 JK, but am thinking worst caase some cretaivity moving sensors could do the trick if the comp disable via a programmer is a no go? I have daily driven my YJ with a 14 B rear Detroit without issues and loved it on the road and trail and strength and reliability are much superior to ARB's, plus they always work and are very predictable. That said I run ARB front and rear on my crawler TJ. On the wife's TJ, Detroits front and rear but front has manual hubs. Excellent road manners and behaves freaking awesome.

jorgelrod

Hooked
What about the Tru Trac? I was thinking about running them front and rear of my 13'

I have a True Trac up front, they are a limited slip differential, just like the trac lok on the rear d44's, just a 1000 times better. You won't have any issues with them at all...

croge17

I have gotten very creative in fooling my wheel speed sensors and making the detroit locker work in the rear of my 13. However I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of how much work you have to do to make it kinda work. I still occasionally get a limp mode fault from the TCU and have to shut down and restart to make it work again. I might eventually get sick of tinkering with it and swap to an ARB or other selectable.

If you are are 2011 and back your good with whatever though

1stbaserobo

Here is a good thread on the issue. You have a 2008, so I don't think you'll have a problem.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=23283

Thanks for the info. You are correct about me owing a 2008. All of the information I've gathered now has led me to know I'll be fine with the Detroit in the rear. I've also found a shop to do the work for $350 a differential. So for around $2800 parts and labor I'll be getting what I want. I can't thank you all enough for your input.

DGP

for thos ethat have issues with Detroits, have you disabled traction control via programming? I am planning like Grubbi to run Detroits on a 2010 JK, but am thinking worst caase some cretaivity moving sensors could do the trick if the comp disable via a programmer is a no go? I have daily driven my YJ with a 14 B rear Detroit without issues and loved it on the road and trail and strength and reliability are much superior to ARB's, plus they always work and are very predictable. That said I run ARB front and rear on my crawler TJ. On the wife's TJ, Detroits front and rear but front has manual hubs. Excellent road manners and behaves freaking awesome.

Hey Gui, I think the selectable lockers will be your best bet with your new JK. lets go test them out soon. I think you'll be impressed.

Top Bottom