Engine for my WJ...Finally!

Grumpiebill

2000 WJ 4.0
Found this in a 03 WJ at a salvage yard. Hit had been hit very hard in the rear. Not sure how many miles are on it. Already degreased. Will begin tear down shortly...

Attachments

• 1455907285739.jpg
    1455907285739.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 103

Grumpiebill

It's been awhile. Sorry no pics. Shoulda made it a tech article. I basically made this a reseal. Removed the cylinder head and removed all the valves. Nearly all the intake valves had excess carbon buildup limiting their ability to close cylinder three intake was especially bad. Cleaned them in the parts washer with fine steel wool and lapped them in with home brewed lapping compound. Before the valves went back in I did a clean up of all the ports. Used a wire brush in the die grinder then used a carbide bit to do a port match on intake ports only. New valve seals and put the head back together. Replaced all freeze plugs including the head. Replaced rear main seal, timing cover gasket and front crank seal, water pump and thermostat. Got the gaskets on-line for cheaper than my cost at the store. Man this thing runs great and no leaks. Very pleased with how it turned out

Grumpiebill

2000 WJ 4.0
Found this in a 03 WJ at a salvage yard. Hit had been hit very hard in the rear. Not sure how many miles are on it. Already degreased. Will begin tear down shortly...
Thought I would update this since its been awhile since I've been on here...this engine has run flawlessly for over a year. No leaks. I would bet this is the cleanest 4.0 in my area both in appearance and running. Only issue was shortly after getting it in and driving it home one night after work noticed temp climbing sitting still. Sure enough the electric fan had quit. Got it replaced under warranty as it was a Dorman aftermarket. Very proud of my WJ so much so I'm searching for 2 maybe 3 more...one for each of my adult kids...2wd WJ or 2wd cherokee w/4.0 preferred...
It's been awhile. Sorry no pics. Shoulda made it a tech article. I basically made this a reseal. Removed the cylinder head and removed all the valves. Nearly all the intake valves had excess carbon buildup limiting their ability to close cylinder three intake was especially bad. Cleaned them in the parts washer with fine steel wool and lapped them in with home brewed lapping compound. Before the valves went back in I did a clean up of all the ports. Used a wire brush in the die grinder then used a carbide bit to do a port match on intake ports only. New valve seals and put the head back together. Replaced all freeze plugs including the head. Replaced rear main seal, timing cover gasket and front crank seal, water pump and thermostat. Got the gaskets on-line for cheaper than my cost at the store. Man this thing runs great and no leaks. Very pleased with how it turned out

Sent from my LG-M210 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom