Best differential fluid?

CCJKUR

I just put in some royal purple in mine. I've used it for a few years now in other vehicles but never a Jeep.

All fluids in my rigs are royal purple. I give it credit to all the race cars cause I'm not to light on the skinny peddle

Uncle Jimmy

Royal purple
Lucas
Mobile

These are the ones I've used in vehicles before. But I would recommend the LUCAS for heavy duty/off-road applications, seem too last longer and distributes heat better IMO.

Lexiewalker

Thanks everyone. She is my DD but I do some light/moderate off roading for now. Rarely mud (I have an older 03 for that :p)

jknikos

Just choose the right weight and change it reguraly. I use dino. I absolutely change it everytime i have wheeled in deep water. :)

mdrums

I'm using Mobil1 Synth diff fluid. I read a report from a test lab that tested about 7 various diff fluids and Mobil 1 came out good and it was easy to find at local auto stores. I wouldn't say it's the best...seems like Amsoil, Castrol, Valvonie and Red Line scored really good too. I know a lot on here like or use Royal Purple...but it didn't fair as well in this test report.
http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gear-oil-comparison.pdf

Last edited:

plext0r

I picked up some axle shafts at East Coast Gear Supply (awesome shop, by the way!) and I asked them which differential fluid they use when they re-gear Jeeps, etc. He said every diff that leaves their shop uses Lucas 85/140 dino fluid. They've found the synthetic diff fluids do not last compared to the traditional dino oil. He said it's different for motor oil, but for their shop they stick with Lucas. He also said they don't get any special pricing; if they run out and need something quick, they can pick it up at the local auto store.

Top Bottom