Any suggestions on a GoPro? Looking at Hero4 Session

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I went on a trip with the wife. I am like a Japanese tourist with a camera. I will stop and take a shit load of pics. So, she suggested a GoPro. Would like to have one to video and to have pics from video if possible. If I am making sense. Opinions, suggestions are welcome. What added accessories you might recommend attaching to JK. Thanks in advance!

go pro.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have a Hero 4 Silver, that has the display on the back, so you can see what you are filming, if needed.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have a Hero 4 Silver, that has the display on the back, so you can see what you are filming, if needed.

Can you take pics from the video? The quality is amazing from what I have seen. Waterproof as well? Do you have any videos that you would like to share?

allwhitejeeps

I have had tried the session against my hero 3 and I would have to recommend not getting the session. If you like the small and compact size of the session it is perfect, but the sessions quality is worse and if you are also going to use it in water the session is poorly designed in that the water droplets will stay on the lens which sucks because you can't even tell and once you look st the footage it is almost ruined because they cover parts of the screen.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
With the GoPro app I can see exactly what my camera sees but on the bigger screen of my iPhone and I can start and stop recording from my phone. Don't waste your money on the GoPro screen. You will definitely want and extended battery or two.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Don't waste your money on the GoPro screen. You will definitely want and extended battery or two.

Disagree. There have been plenty of times I wish I didn't have to use my phone to control the GoPro and see what was going on. A screen on the back seems like a great feature. That said the new small 4 seems pretty cool.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Disagree. There have been plenty of times I wish I didn't have to use my phone to control the GoPro and see what was going on. A screen on the back seems like a great feature. That said the new small 4 seems pretty cool.

I guess it depends on where you mount your gopro, how easy it is to get to the buttons, and whether you can even see the screen when it is mounted.

JKUhs14

I'd recommend the Gopro4 silver since the screen is an added benefit. Sure I will use my Iphone from time to time to control it but having the touch screen makes things easier. I placed an adhesive mount inside but I also have the gopro flex clamp which I use to mount most places on the jeep.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Can you take pics from the video? The quality is amazing from what I have seen. Waterproof as well? Do you have any videos that you would like to share?

Yes to all, except the video thing. I've only used it once and haven't edited the video, yet.

swampdog

I have read bad reviews on the session and would avoid it. I have the Hero 3+ Black and love it, but if I was buying now I would get the 4 silver. Buy extra batteries and a good mount and you will be set.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have read bad reviews on the session and would avoid it. I have the Hero 3+ Black and love it, but if I was buying now I would get the 4 silver. Buy extra batteries and a good mount and you will be set.

Can you go for hours driving and filming?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Don't get the session. Get the hero 4 black or silver. They come standard with the screen so it's great.

The app is for all devices. I use it for playback of pics and videos during the day. When I'm done I also upload those videos off my GoPro onto my phone for easy upload to Instagram, YouTube, etc.

scull20

I've got the hero 4 silver (this comes with the built in LCD touchscreen). From the handful of times I've used it I've been happy with it this far.

With regard to the LCD screen. I've found mine to be most useful with fumbling with the camera settings and for using it to "square-up" a shot quickly. If you're going to just set it and forget it on a suction cup or other mount and let it run while you're on a trail, then the screen will be less useful. If you're going to be walking around taking video and pictures you'll probably find the screen more useful compared to using the phone app.

Definitely jump on Amazon and grab some extra batteries and a multi battery charger. I've got ones from Smatree and they work great.

swampdog

Can you go for hours driving and filming?

It's easy if you mount it in the jeep, just leave the charger plugged in while recording. If mounted outside, it really depends on the frame rate and file size you are recording. A 60 fps shot at high resolution will smoke a battery in 30 minutes. I used to record my motorcycle races in that setting and would get 1 race per battery. But, honestly, out in the woods without super fast motion and he need for slow mo, a lower fps and resolution is acceptable.

FLKEYSJK

I have the hero 4 silver and I love it, I used it to do a time lapse of a storm the other day and it looked great. I'll post up a video when I get home.

Wethy

I watched a couple of reviews on the session. Most people compared it to the 4silver and the results they found were that the session didn't have the same clarity as the 4silver and its low light(eg sunset/night) video quality was that the session was more orange than the 4silver and the 4silver has more recording options there are lots of side by side video comparisons on YouTube as well! If/when I get a new one I'll probly get the hero4 silver I'm still rocking the original but as for mounts I use the flat adhesive mount behind the drivers doors gets some sweet wheel articulation shots and one on the dash for in vehicle time lapse and one on top of the roll bar for when the tops down

Wethy

Don't get the session. Get the hero 4 black or silver. They come standard with the screen so it's great.

The app is for all devices. I use it for playback of pics and videos during the day. When I'm done I also upload those videos off my GoPro onto my phone for easy upload to Instagram, YouTube, etc.

^^^^ this!!!! It's a pain in the ass to get photos onto my iPhone! I have to upload them to my PC then go through the GoPro program, then export them as a mbira format then email them to myself and download the photo/video to my phone just to upload it to Instagram or Facebook

catahoula

Caught the Bug
You guys are giving me some great advice and options. I thank you. Anybody have some videos you can load up to watch?
?

Top Bottom