40's on Dana 44s?

BLCK4X4

I just got my new Dana 44's...
Was thinking about 37" tires now I'm leaning towards 40" tires.
Is this possible without going to Dana 60's

What are my pros. And cons.?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Pros, cheaper than 60s. Cons, weaker than 60s.

Stay 37s, or buy 60s for the 40s, or don't wheel anywhere other than the mall.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just got my new Dana 44's...
Was thinking about 37" tires now I'm leaning towards 40" tires.
Is this possible without going to Dana 60's

Well sure, you can do anything you want.

What are my pros. And cons.?

Pros, you'll have the "look" you're wanting.
Cons, if you actually wheel your Jeep in SoCal, you're gonna break.

jknikos

You mean rubicon d44s? If yes despite the small differential the front axle tubes are extremely thin! My buddy's d44 with 40inch maxxis just broke in two pieces in a not so hard trail! :doh:

I ran 40's on upgraded rubi axles for 3 years. Had c gussets, sleeves, rcv shafts had chromoly shafts in rear. Eventually bent the front tubes. It's doable but you will eventually need to upgrade

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ran 40's on upgraded rubi axles for 3 years. Had c gussets, sleeves, rcv shafts had chromoly shafts in rear. Eventually bent the front tubes. It's doable but you will eventually need to upgrade

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I think it's pretty clear that your idea of "running" 40's isn't my idea of running 40's.

BLCK4X4

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I think it's pretty clear that your idea of "running" 40's isn't my idea of running 40's.

LOL!

I really want to get my build up and running so I can get wheeling..I think I'll stick with the 37's on 44's then upgrade down the road to the 60's on 40" tires:)

Thanks Eddie!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!

I really want to get my build up and running so I can get wheeling..I think I'll stick with the 37's on 44's then upgrade down the road to the 60's on 40" tires:)

Thanks Eddie!

Nothing wrong with 37's and honestly, I think you'll be much happier with them. They are a great size to run on a JK. Hell, I just ordered up a new set of 37's for Rubicat and will be going back down to them as soon as they come in.

Jake Wilson

Nothing wrong with 37's and honestly, I think you'll be much happier with them. They are a great size to run on a JK. Hell, I just ordered up a new set of 37's for Rubicat and will be going back down to them as soon as they come in.

Why are you dropping down? If you don't mind me asking.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you dropping down? If you don't mind me asking.

Because we are just running a ProRock 44 up front. We had a set of 40's lying around and so we threw them on back when we were doing testing with our new Dynatrac ProGrips. The Mud Grapplers look awesome and we like them a lot but they're a LOT of tire and we know we're going to break something if we keep them on. 37's are a great size and with them, I know I can really wheel a lot harder and with confidence.

WJCO

Meme King

I assume you went with the STT pros?

WJCO

Meme King
Yup. After seeing how well they were doing on our Renegade, I really wanted to give them a try on a JK especially being that they come in a 37x13.50 :yup:

I plan on getting some too, hopefully in the next few months. Glad to see you using the Jeep in the snow and that you have good feedback for the snow performance. I was really sold on the Duratracs, but their 285 tire is like 32.75 in diameter whereas the Cooper offers a 295 which is a 33.5 and more of a mud tire, two more selling points for me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I plan on getting some too, hopefully in the next few months. Glad to see you using the Jeep in the snow and that you have good feedback for the snow performance. I was really sold on the Duratracs, but their 285 tire is like 32.75 in diameter whereas the Cooper offers a 295 which is a 33.5 and more of a mud tire, two more selling points for me.

Duratracs are a great tire and work really well in the snow and ice. The Cooper STT's are more an MT than anything and my comments about how well they do in these conditions is in comparison to all the other MT's I have tested out in the same conditions. Just wanted to make sure that I made that clear. :)

Top Bottom