I don't know if this has been started before but, what is a good trail welder ?

mo0s3

I have a Lincoln 110 but I don't know if I could run it from a generator. If not I need to find a trail welder since I'm the only one in our group that can weld lol

Thanks in advance !!!

WJCO

Meme King
I have a Lincoln 110 but I don't know if I could run it from a generator. If not I need to find a trail welder since I'm the only one in our group that can weld lol

Thanks in advance !!!

You can stick weld a lot with 2 batteries hooked in series. There are some youtube vids on it. Ready Welder makes a mig gun with a spool inside to run off of 2 batteries. Also, there is Premier Power welder (stick welder) that runs off a single battery but you have to get a bigger alternator. They claim it's really easy to use, I plan on getting one at some point.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Eastwood has a very small stick welder that I have been looking into getting, weighs 11lb or something like that, but have yet to figure out how to power it on the trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was lucky and was able to get my hands on a Hobart Trek 180 before it got discontinued. Awesome little welder. Before that, I used to carry a Premier Ready Welder. Works great but you do need to hook it up to 2 batteries.

WJCO

Meme King
Bump.

Any recent info on any good welders for trail use? So far, everything is pointing me to the Premier Power Welder but just seeing if there is any other suggestions or ideas. I'm hoping to do this mod soon. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bump.

Any recent info on any good welders for trail use? So far, everything is pointing me to the Premier Power Welder but just seeing if there is any other suggestions or ideas. I'm hoping to do this mod soon. Thanks.

Being that the Hobart Trek 180 is no longer available, I would look into the Ready Welder II. Basically, a mig with a spool gun and one that can run flux core and be hooked up to gas. Again, it's what I did have and would still have if I didn't have my 180.

WJCO

Meme King
Being that the Hobart Trek 180 is no longer available, I would look into the Ready Welder II. Basically, a mig with a spool gun and one that can run flux core and be hooked up to gas. Again, it's what I did have and would still have if I didn't have my 180.

I would only do flux core for space savings and not worrying about running out of gas. That's the one that runs on 2 batteries correct? If so, how did you set it up? What kind of batteries? I also want to conserve space there as well.

EDIT: One more question. If running on two batteries, approximately how long does it last before it goes dead? As in approximately how many inches of weld bead can I lay down?

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
The other appealing thing to me about the Premier model is the size and it has a built-in inverter for running a grinder or other power tools.

WJCO

Meme King

WJCO

Meme King
View attachment 205130

This + cheap hood + jumper cables that's my trail welding kit. All tucks nicely into a welding rod container. View attachment 205131

Tell me more, lol. I'm guessing the small cable is to run 2 batteries in series. And I'm assuming you run a 2nd battery? I carry that exact setup currently. I have everything except a 2nd battery which can usually be obtained on the trail from another wheeler if needed. I haven't had to use it yet, but know that it works.

My main reason for changing it up is I want something where I don't need a 2nd battery and don't have to worry about running the batteries down. I also do some welding for friends and family and want the rig to be ready to go without having to worry about charging batteries. I do know that can cost some extra money though.

It's a work in progress right now. I contacted both Ready Welder and Premier today. Still looking over all the pros and cons. We shall see.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I keep 3/32 7018 and 6010 rod. The cable is for running 2 batteries in series to get 24v. I also would be relying on a wheeling partner to lend me a second battery (until I get my 2 battery setup) this is emergency only, I wouldn't make a habit of shorting batteries for welding could get really costly really fast if you over do it. I have been part of one successful field repair with the same setup, and hopefully won't have to use it often. I just like knowing that I have everything needed at hand.

Top Bottom