Hound's XJ Build

Houndy95

I haven't been around long, but have gotten requests for more pictures of my rig. So I decided to write up a quick build thread for it. Although the build is for the most part finished (they are never really finished) I still tinker with things on it. Also please don't mind the few out of order pics, as I don't have pics from every step of the build (something I wish I would have done).

So to start it off, I bought a 1998 jeep XJ. The body was far from perfect, it had a lot of dings from parking lots I imagine. However there was very little rust. The interior was in ok shape, good enough for what I was going to do with it.
IMG_0400.jpg IMG_0402.jpg

First thing I did was tear out the interior to give it a good cleaning. I also fixed the rear hatch rams since they were shot (previous owner used a piece of wood). I then gave it a much needed service as well as fixed the heat and AC. I put a new core support, grill insert, h4 conversion headlights, new turn signals and new side marker lights. Since the sun had them cracked and sun faded.
IMG_0403.jpg

The next step was to get some tires under her. At this point since she was gonna be in the shop I figured I would add a Rough Country winch bumper with light bar, Unity spotlight, Bushwacker flat fenders, HI lift jack, some Aux lights for the bumper, and a Smitybilt rear bumper. I also added a CB with a custom bracket I made for the antenna. Since the dome lights are not the greatest thing I decided to add something different. I didn't feel like changing the bulbs to leds since I didn't want or need to be blinded by them so I added a dome light that has a white and red output (much like those found in police cars). It has its own switch separate from the dome light circuit, that way I can use it as needed. Although I have no pictures of this mod, I did add a posi to my rear 8.8.
IMG_0118.jpg IMG_0120.jpg IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0320.jpg

After I got all of that done, just my luck would have it that the front door speakers quit. After removing the panels and replacing the speakers with a set of Sonys I decided to upgrade the stereo at that time to with a Sony. Here is a pic of the CB and stereo as well as a custom switch panel I made, more on that later.
IMG_0318.jpg

So at this point I was happy with the outcome and was finally able to go a use the jeep. Just after a few days of solid rain this is how it sat.
IMG_0116.jpg IMG_0117.jpg

In case your wondering she is sitting on a Rough Country 4.5" X-flex lift with 33x12.50.15 Mickey Thompson MTZ mounted on steelies with baby moon and trim rings.

After some time I came across a great deal on a Top hat rack, so that was the next thing to be added.
IMG_0142.jpg IMG_0141.jpg

I then picked up a 30" bar and a set of 2" pods for the rack. I decided to build a custom switch panel for them that mounted in the ash tray location.
IMG_0161.jpg IMG_0157.jpg IMG_0159.jpg

Houndy95

That was the last of the major mods that I have done, besides use it. Not to long ago I also swapped out the radiator with a brand new one since the old one had started to leak. The below pics are just some of how she sits today and her out on the trails.
IMG_0037.jpg IMG_0032.jpg IMG_0502.jpg IMG_0507.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0838.jpg IMG_0839.jpg IMG_0168.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
:thumb: I love this body style - its one of my favorites. Yours has that perfect stance too. Very cool - thanks for posting up!

Houndy95

:thumb: I love this body style - its one of my favorites. Yours has that perfect stance too. Very cool - thanks for posting up!
Thanks! That's why I wanted to keep it simple when building it up not to over the top and no problem.

Houndy95

Its been awhile since I updated this thread but I have finally had time to finish a project I started. I wanted to clean up the interior a bit since it had 15 plus years of stains. So I ripped out the old carpet and gave the tub a good cleaning. I also added sound mat to the floor (what a difference noise and heat wise) and then I put fresh carpet front to back. To help keep the carpet like new I also got a set of Rugged Ridge molded floor mats for the front middle and back. Then it was time to make use of the factory spare tire mount. I put a fire extinguisher there with a nice mount I found for it.
IMG_0334.jpg IMG_0339.jpg IMG_0516.jpg IMG_0519.jpg
I also noticed my headlights and front light bar were getting moisture in them so I upgraded my bar to a 30" KC bar and upgraded my headlights to IPF housings. No shots of them on yet, haven't had the time but they are 100% better. So I will try to get some and post them up when I can. Also after replacing the tie rod end on my track bar twice and finding it was shot again I decided to upgrade to a rusty's track bar and I have to say I wish I went with that before, its a great piece and the replacement mount they provide gives it a lot more rigidity than the factory mount. I will also post up some pics of that when I can. That's it for now. I do however plan on doing a few more upgrades in the coming weeks like a long arm conversion and a SYE. :D

Last edited:

XJQuinn99

I've thought about doing the sound deadening on my floors for awhile now but just haven't gotten around to fully committing and ordering it all. How much of that stuff did you end up using? Looks like it went on really well. How do you like it so far? Everything else sounds solid! Can't wait for more pictures, do you know what long arms you are going to run?

Houndy95

I've thought about doing the sound deadening on my floors for awhile now but just haven't gotten around to fully committing and ordering it all. How much of that stuff did you end up using? Looks like it went on really well. How do you like it so far? Everything else sounds solid! Can't wait for more pictures, do you know what long arms you are going to run?

I ordered 100 sq ft and it came in two 50 ft rolls. I used one roll and about 2 ft off the other. I read on some people doing and using a lot more so I figured it covered pretty good. Also I didn't go crazy with it but covered a good portion of the floor. I noticed a big difference right away in terms of noise and heat. Mind it is still a old jeep but it has a nicer almost muffled tone I guess you could say. It is easier to have a conversation you don't have to talk as loud. Also it seems to not take as long to cool down and once the air is on and it stabilizes it stays cool without having the air blasting. But I would defiantly recommend doing it.

As far as the long arms I am going to go with Rusty's Off road arms. I really like the quality of their track bar kit I put in after replacing the rough county one I had. I plan on uploading a few pics of it installed as soon as I get a chance. I will also see if I have any of the old one so you can see the difference.

Houndy95

Here are some more pics of the track bar and cross brace. I also added a few day shots of the new lights, night shots still to come.
IMG_0340 (2).jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0342.jpg IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0344.jpg

XJQuinn99

I will definitely need to get some of that stuff in order! Did you get it on amazon or something? I appreciate the feed back. Also looking forward to more pictures! That track bar looks nice. [emoji106]🏼

Houndy95

I will definitely need to get some of that stuff in order! Did you get it on amazon or something? I appreciate the feed back. Also looking forward to more pictures! That track bar looks nice. [emoji106]🏼
Thanks! And yes I ordered it through Amazon.

thardy

Banned
You've got a good looking XJ! Have you thought about coming up to Windrock for our End of Summer run in August?

Houndy95

I haven't updated the thread in awhile so I figured I would share my progress.

I just got done installing the long arm upgrade. I also added a transfer skid while I was under there. Since I was upgrading some of the suspension parts with better quality, I wanted to change out my sway bar disconnects. Up until this point I was running a rough country lift. Don't get me wrong it was a great start and did the job for awhile. But the ride seemed to diminish and some of the products didn't work as they should. Like the track bar I replaced earlier, I had gone through 3 joints in less then 1000 miles. So out with that and with the disconnects I would have to tighten them almost every ride (even with thread lock). So out with then as well and in with a more beefy set. I went with Trusty's products as replacements and I am very happy with there stuff. Time will tell if it will hold up better than what I had but I don't see anything that would make me question it.

Although I have not had a chance to take it out on the trails since the upgrade, the little ride I took around town has made a world of difference in the ride. It is very smooth and takes bumps, dips and corners like a totally different jeep. So far I am very pleased with the outcome and can only expect great off road results as well.
Photo Aug 08, 12 10 16 PM.jpg Photo Aug 08, 12 13 59 PM.jpg Photo Aug 22, 10 18 19 AM.jpg Photo Aug 22, 10 17 44 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom