PSC Steering Assist 2013 and CAI system

dchew

Caught the Bug
Has anyone done an install of the PSC assist / HV steering pump on a 2012 or 2013? I noticed on PSC's website they say a "conical aftermarket aircleaner" needs to be used in order to mount the reservoir that comes with the high-volume steering pump.

I assume any CAI system would work?

Dave

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone done an install of the PSC assist / HV steering pump on a 2012 or 2013? I noticed on PSC's website they say a "conical aftermarket aircleaner" needs to be used in order to mount the reservoir that comes with the high-volume steering pump.

I assume any CAI system would work?

Dave

I would assume that most CAI's would work but not all. The AIRAID will not as it uses a factory air box like setup.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. I am looking at the AFE. I think it should work. :fingerscrossed:

Dave

Well, if you do get it to work, can you please post up pics. I still haven't installed a reservoir on my 2012 because I wasn't sure where to put it. I still need to get the new pump too.

dchew

Caught the Bug
You bet. Should be in January some time, depending on when the EVO kits arrive. The PSC stuff is the one thing I'm nervous about; it doesn't seem like anyone else has gotten there yet; the instructions look like they are based on the 3.8L. So I wil be sure to take a bunch of photos and document all the things I do and then do again. :)

Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
I did a little fit investigating this morning. The reservoir needs to go where the stock one is. That means it will be dependent on the CAI dimensions. Unfortunately I think it would be difficult to measure ahead of time; there is not really a good reference point to get a dimension from that could be given to the CAI manufacturer for fitment questions. So I went ahead and ordered the AFE. Worst case I will have to do some creative cutting of the CAI air cleaner box.

Below is the bracket PSC supplies for mounting the reservoir (image from their install instructions showing it mounted by the battery which will not work on the 2012-2013).

reservoir-bracket.jpg

The stock reservoir is bolted only on one side. That existing mounting point might work on the starboard side, but looks like I will fabricate something for the other side near the radiator. A basic block or L-bracket made out of aluminum should work. The problem is I won't get to this install for a while. EVO appears to be quite backed up right now, and I certainly don't want to mess with this PSC cylinder install until the coilovers are in and adjusted. I'm guessing at best my suspension won't arrive until mid-Jan.

So we wait...

Ciao,
Dave

Paisano

I'm in the same boat as Eddie, my PSC is installed without the reservoir. I would like to see how yours turns out.

nacho

i have the pump and everything sitting on my toolbox still. After getting the right pump that is

FoxC

Any updates to this install? Need to start doing this myself and hoping you guys get it figured out...;)

dchew

Caught the Bug
We are working on the steering this week. I'm out of town until Wednesday afternoon but my partner in crime is working on it now. Should know more in a few days.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I would wait until you get the suspension on and dialed in before you change the steering. That way you are not chasing an unknown source of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012 and I am wanting the PSC. Should I get it without the reservoir or get a CAI and run it. They told me at PSC that it might work fine without it. Is there a danger in running without your air box?

dchew

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012 and I am wanting the PSC. Should I get it without the reservoir or get a CAI and run it. They told me at PSC that it might work fine without it. Is there a danger in running without your air box?

I would think the main issue is the ram displacing a decent amount of hydraulic fluid, raising and lowering the level in your stock reservoir. If they say it will work then there should be enough room. You just might have to fine tune the level to ensure you don't get nuisance alarms. I suppose another issue would be heat dissipation, but I find it hard to believe there will be that much difference.

Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
Ok, I'm getting close. Sorry this is taking so long; believe me no one wishes I would get done more than me! Looks like the reservoir will fit with the aFe, I just need to design a bracket to mount it. I'd like to position it low enough so the connections are below the aFe housing. Otherwise I would have to cut or drill through the housing to route the hoses.

Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
I would wait until you get the suspension on and dialed in before you change the steering. That way you are not chasing an unknown source of a problem.

That is a really good point, but it is just so attractive to get at the steering gearbox now while everything is off. :thinking:

dchew

Caught the Bug
Finally making some progress on this. Looks like I was really lucky choosing the aFe CAI :yup:

Here are a few pics with the CAI and factory reservoir removed:

2013-02-03 14.00.03.jpg

2013-02-03 14.00.12.jpg

I cut one wire tie to get the wiring harness out of the way, then removed the wire tie mount.
2013-02-03 14.01.20.jpg

2013-02-03 14.07.37.jpg

If I place the reservoir in there, then put the CAI back on, it looks like this. Almost like it is supposed to be there! I just need to drill a hole in the supplied aluminum bracket and reinstall the factory bolt:
2013-02-03 15.06.47.jpg

Here is the clearance for the feed and return connections. Just fits, and has a bit of clearance from the radiator hose. Looks like this part of the install is going to go fine. :thumb:
2013-02-03 15.09.25.jpg

2013-02-03 15.09.48.jpg

Top Bottom