EVO coilovers with mid arms?

charlie4

I want to move up to either EVOs bolt on coilovers or there lever system but I would like to stay with the mid arms instead of long arm. But I would like to upgrade all 8 control arms for more flex and durability. I know Evo makes just the front lowers but like I said I want to do all 8. I was wondering if you guys can suggest some good quality arms? I was kind of leaning towards the Currie with the Johnny Joints or the new Metal Cloak. Any help Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, running EVO coil overs with factory length arms is fine and you'll be plenty happy with it. I've run that setup in the past and ChrisB is running it now. Having said that, if you are going to replace all 8 arms, I would highly recommend you get Currie arms. For the amount of flex you will have, nothing else will get the job done well. I've run Currie arms before and they are a quality product and the Johnny Joints on both ends are about as good as it gets.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So factory arms will work with c/o ??

Well, "factory length" arms will work with coil overs. You can make factory arms work for a while but, you will need at bare minimum adjustable front uppers to do it. Over time, the significant amount of flex you will have with an EVO coil over setup will cause the bonded rubber bushings to blow. This is actually even a problem with arms made by other manufacturers that utilize bonded rubber bushings on one end too.

BrandonDetrick

That's what I figured would be the issue. I just wanted to know cuz id like to get coilovers, before long arms. Just because..

Holeshot

Banned
That's what I figured would be the issue. I just wanted to know cuz id like to get coilovers, before long arms. Just because..

x2 on that!

I was looking to get similar setup before going long arm. I thought I could use the evo double D later on but, wouldn't want to bust my bushings when runing evo coil overs with the factory arms.

Guess I should stack money a little longer :thinking:

BrandonDetrick

I'm gonna just do the bolt on coilovers with factory links Til I can afford long arms. . I'm not hittin trails very often right now anyway so blowin a bushing do to flex prob isn't gonna happen before I upgrade my arms. .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna just do the bolt on coilovers with factory links Til I can afford long arms. . I'm not hittin trails very often right now anyway so blowin a bushing do to flex prob isn't gonna happen before I upgrade my arms. .

You definitely could do that. With the coil overs, you could still even hit the desert trails and washes hard and fast without putting too much risk on the bushings. :yup:

charlie4

I was kind of leaning towards the Currie because of the JJ but then I have been reading a lot about the Metal Cloak and how good they are suppose to be. Thanks for help making my mind up Currie it is.:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was kind of leaning towards the Currie because of the JJ but then I have been reading a lot about the Metal Cloak and how good they are suppose to be. Thanks for help making my mind up Currie it is.:beer:

You need to ask yourself, how long have Johnny Joints been around, how long have they been tested and abused by people who really push their rigs to the limits and, why is it that they would recommend them? Now, ask yourself, how long have these new joints been around and who exactly has been talking them up? For me, I'll just stick with what I know works and works exceptionally well.

BrandonDetrick

Thanks for the help Eddie. . My jeep is red and the blue king shocks I always see wouldn't tie Into the look I want , and I am under the Impression that king shocks offers red EVERYTHING. Would it be at all possible to get my coilovers red , from evo so I still have the evo spec shocks ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the help Eddie. . My jeep is red and the blue king shocks I always see wouldn't tie Into the look I want , and I am under the Impression that king shocks offers red EVERYTHING. Would it be at all possible to get my coilovers red , from evo so I still have the evo spec shocks ?

Yup, it just would take more time and might cost a bit more but, I have seen them do it for other customers. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it was minimum front lowers. There I go thinkin again! :thinking:

Actually, it's either or. You just want to have something to address your caster. I said uppers as a "minimum" only because they are cheaper but, lowers would give you more adjustability. They're just more expensive.

StrizzyChris

Actually, it's either or. You just want to have something to address your caster. I said uppers as a "minimum" only because they are cheaper but, lowers would give you more adjustability. They're just more expensive.

Thanks for the clarification! Like I said...thinkin aint my thang! I should leave it to the pros

SoCalDozer

First off, running EVO coil overs with factory length arms is fine and you'll be plenty happy with it. I've run that setup in the past and ChrisB is running it now. Having said that, if you are going to replace all 8 arms, I would highly recommend you get Currie arms. For the amount of flex you will have, nothing else will get the job done well. I've run Currie arms before and they are a quality product and the Johnny Joints on both ends are about as good as it gets.

I plan on doing the same thing since I dont think I will need the long arm on mine anytime soon. How do the synergy arms compare to Currie? I was looking at any arms that offered the Jonny joints since they are definitely superior. Would any adjustable arms with Jonny Joints do the job fine?

charlie4

I do have one more question if I do go with the EVO coilovers and all 8 Currie control arms I want to change out the track bars to adjustables. What track bars would work good with set up? Thanks again

Atch

I do have one more question if I do go with the EVO coilovers and all 8 Currie control arms I want to change out the track bars to adjustables. What track bars would work good with set up? Thanks again

If you get the EVO flip kit u can run your stock front track bar

charlie4

Ok that I didn't know. How about the back? I am running the AEV 2.5 kit know which came with the rear track bar and the bracket. Will this work or am I going to have to install a adjustable or change the AEV bracket or both? I hope to be able to set the coilovers for about 3.5 - 4". This is a 2 door if it makes any difference in the set up. Thanks

Top Bottom