Ace JK Pro Series Front Bumper w/ stinger vs EVO 1/4 w/ stinger

Jake Wilson

For months now I have been dead set on getting the EVO 1/4 pounder with stinger. Well today while surfing the interwebs I came across the ACE JK Pro Series w/ Stinger bumper that came with a integrated 20" double light bar. Now both bumpers are similarly priced considering I would buy some fog lights with the EVO bumper. The only issue I see is that the winch would sit on top of the ACE bumper rather than inside like in the EVO bumper. Other than that the only real difference I see (not referring to cosmetics) is the stinger seems to be longer on the ACE but that could just be the angle of the photos? With all that being said, I know A LOT of y'all run the EVO bumper and thats great and I love the bumper. However, I am curious what all y'all think of the ACE bumper. Anyone run this? Bitch, gripes or complaints? :beer: ACE Bumper.jpg

qwasin

I don't like it because you have to cut off 4 of the 8 forward facing bolt holes. You can see in the pic that there are only 4 bolts (2 on each side) holding the bumper on from the front. I'm not an engineer but the people who designed the jeep are, and they put 4 bolts on each side for a reason.

Jake Wilson

I don't like it because you have to cut off 4 of the 8 forward facing bolt holes. You can see in the pic that there are only 4 bolts (2 on each side) holding the bumper on from the front. I'm not an engineer but the people who designed the jeep are, and they put 4 bolts on each side for a reason.

I watched the instillation video on it. They have a 1/2 in bolt going all the way through the frame. Good catch tho. Didn't notice that at first.

qwasin

I watched the instillation video on it. They have a 1/2 in bolt going all the way through the frame. Good catch tho. Didn't notice that at first.

And those bolts going through the frame would be in "shear" mode and not "stretch" mode... the latter being significantly stronger. So you are sacrificing 4 "stretch" bolts and gaining 2 "shear" bolts. Meh.

Jake Wilson

And those bolts going through the frame would be in "shear" mode and not "stretch" mode... the latter being significantly stronger. So you are sacrificing 4 "stretch" bolts and gaining 2 "shear" bolts. Meh.

You think it would make that much of a difference? The jeep doesn't weigh that much. Sorry if that is a stupid question, haha.

qwasin

You think it would make that much of a difference? The jeep doesn't weigh that much. Sorry if that is a stupid question, haha.

I have no idea, like I said I'm not an engineer. The only thing I can say with certainty is it would not be as strong as bumpers that utilize all 8 forward racing bolt holes. Whether it would still be "strong enough" in lieu of 4 bolts, I can't answer that. But I wouldn't want to take the chance nor do I like the idea of reducing the structural strength of my jeep for the sake of aesthetics.

qwasin

But I do like the looks of that bumper and actually considered it but I just couldn't get over having to cut off half of those brackets. I went with the EVO pro series which has similar lines and a winch bar instead of a stringer (which I prefer). Also a recessed winch which I prefer. Shrockworks stubby is also similar.

CCJKUR

The poison spider BFH mounts just like the ace with the 4 bolts threw the frame, I run the PSC BFH and it has held well. I've put it to the test alot and has served well with no problems, so I'm sure that would hold to.

Desert Crawler

I love mine and am very impressed at how much light the double row 20" LED's put out.
085.jpg
To the people that don't feel like 4 bolts in the front with 2 running vertical through the frame are not enough, what is your reasoning? Is your concern about strength while you are winching? That is the only thing I can think of, but I have seen winches work just fine on much flimsier bumpers. In the case of a front impact the bolts should not be a factor as the bumper would be pushing back into the frame rails. Curious?

Last edited:

qwasin

My concern would be getting tugged while shackled to one side. Could be completely unfounded here, just giving my opinion.

jeeeep

Hooked
I don't like that you have to cut off half the bumper mount, if you ever want a different bumper you'll have to replace the mounts. they also mention removing more material off the mounts if needed? nothing like weakening the structure that holds it in place...

I know a lot of guys cut off the crash bar but I like it there to protect the e-disconnect and not sure about the insurance implications. I assume they call it a crash bar for a reason :thinking:

Desert Crawler

Actually it is called a "compliance bar". As in comply with government regulations that may keep that subcompact car from being steamrollered by your jeep. If you rotate your e-disconnect and are able to smack it on an obstacle, I'm sure you will have bigger problems then a non-functioning e-disconnect.

Last edited:

Chasemccl

If you decide to go with ace I'd call them and check the wait time. I wish I would have. I ordered mine through Qtec and was originally told 3 weeks. 8 weeks later I'm still waiting and it's not looking good. If you don't need it anytime soon then I guess it's not a problem.

Crippler

Running the ACE Pro Series with Bull Bar. No Complaints here. Love the clearance of it and seem plenty beefy so far

Frost

I have this bumper, but without the integrated light bar. It was the first bigger accessory I bought for my Jeep (couldn't pass it up for $200 BNIB off CL)
I haven't had any problems with it so far, I've had it about 10 months.

Now that I have a winch though, i wish I had a bumper like the EVO, that has a cut out for the winch, not a huge deal though.

If you are going to buy this make sure you'll like it. You have to cut the frame horns, so basically it's going to be on your jeep forever unless you buy a new bumper that attaches the same way, or weld on some frame horns.

spinuck

you can get a light bar off amazon for roughly 50 bucks that's probably similar to the one ACE uses and put it on the EVO bumper too.

20151230_112438.jpg

Desert Crawler

If you decide to go with ace I'd call them and check the wait time. I wish I would have. I ordered mine through Qtec and was originally told 3 weeks. 8 weeks later I'm still waiting and it's not looking good. If you don't need it anytime soon then I guess it's not a problem.
Agreed. I ordered mine from River City during a sale. Was supposed to be a week......ended up being six and a half.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I love ACE stuff- I have their rear carrier/bumper and sliders. But I like the poison spyder front bumpers better than either you are looking at. If you want a stinger option, how about: http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-Brawler-Lite-Front-Bumper-Trail-Stinger-Tab-p/17-59-010-dst.htm

You don't have to cut the frame at all. The bumper bolts right on with the factory holes. Winch is surface mount, which I like better for simplicity. I ditched my light bar for a pair of 3x3 cubes on the pillar and don't miss the candlepower.

Top Bottom