35s or 37s need some opinions

CCJKUR

35s or 33s need some opinions

Well I'm headed to the tire shop in the morning and still can't decide on 35s or 33s. My reason for the though choice is I'm still on stock rubicon running gear.

Our trails that we run are wet muddy lots of roots and stumps with some rocks so 35s would help alot but would the risk with stock running gear be worth it. I am light on the skinny peddle.

Need some opinions on this.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Well I'm headed to the tire shop in the morning and still can't decide on 35s or 33s. My reason for the though choice is I'm still on stock rubicon running gear.

Our trails that we run are wet muddy lots of roots and stumps with some rocks so 35s would help alot but would the risk with stock running gear be worth it. I am light on the skinny peddle.

Need some opinions on this.

Thanks guys.

Automatic or manual? are you running a lift? you'll need at least 2.5" to clear the 35's or chop your fenders, I think even chopped fenders you'll need a minimum of a 2.5" lift, you'll want to put gussets on your inner C's. depending on the lift, you'll need a front DS at some point. 4" or more and you'll need it with the lift.

I'd recommend 35's. re-gearing will be your best solution for gaining back the power loss but if you have a manual you won't feel the loss as much.

I ran 35's on my 2010 Rubicon auto for a couple of years before regearing, no problems on the trail if you're not heavy on the pedal and pick your lines well.

now running 37's with a PR44 up front.

CCJKUR

Sorry about the mix up in the title. Fixed it now.

It is an automatic. I plan to lift it more searching for springs now and re gear to 4.88 and drivelines, but need tires so trying to buy once ya know.

Evil

Level kit with flat fenders and gears are 4.10

35's all the way but definitely take Jeeeps advise and get the C's gusseted. You'll feel the lack of gearing on hills with 35's but otherwise be OK for a while with the 4:10's

35's will fit on a stock suspension with chopped fenders. Ill see if I have a pic of my buddy's jeep. If I don't ill get one before I put his springs in.

CCJKUR

35's all the way but definitely take Jeeeps advise and get the C's gusseted. You'll feel the lack of gearing on hills with 35's but otherwise be OK for a while with the 4:10's

35's will fit on a stock suspension with chopped fenders. Ill see if I have a pic of my buddy's jeep. If I don't ill get one before I put his springs in.

I planned on the c gussets as the next upgrade. My other concern are the shafts. Are they able to hold there own respectablywith a 35?

jeeeep

Hooked
the shafts will hold up, I tore the boot the first time out with the lift and tires and ran it without the boot for about 4 years before it gave up. but it was a warm 4 years and it gave up when we had an almost real winter (ice and freezing temps for several weeks)

of course if went out on the worst ice day but I just pulled the front ds and ran it that way until it warmed up.

Budget for the front DS, you will need it eventually.

CCJKUR

the shafts will hold up, I tore the boot the first time out with the lift and tires and ran it without the boot for about 4 years before it gave up. but it was a warm 4 years and it gave up when we had an almost real winter (ice and freezing temps for several weeks)

of course if went out on the worst ice day but I just pulled the front ds and ran it that way until it warmed up.

Budget for the front DS, you will need it eventually.

They always go out at the worst time hahaha
I have a budget going for that all ready ha

Eezybreezy08

Go 35s. I'm running 35 with stock 3.73 gears in my wife's 2014 sport and it turns the 35s good enough. Obviously not the power as something geared for them but it does the trick and she just does little stuff. Plus it's extremely light considering that we've done nothing else to it except the rancho sport lift and 35

jknikos

I would do 35s. Eventually you will regret 33s in a JKU. 35inch tires is the perfect size for a jk that will be used as a DD and will see some off road IMO.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
JKU with 33s
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456915709.793049.jpg

JKU with 35s
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456915757.295495.jpg

In my opinion, do the 35s. An Unlimited swallows 33s like they are nothing. I don't think you would be happy with those. If your already planning C gussets and a regear, your Rubicon running gear will be perfectly fine with 35s.

Reaper

I ran 35's on a 2.5" rock krawler flex lift on my 2009 JKU sport with the 373's for years. Pleanty of power offroad in the mud. I have a Rubicon now and Im sure it would handle them better than the Sport.

Top Bottom