Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate TRUE TIRE SIZE Database

The Ultimate TRUE TIRE SIZE Database

Before I get this started, it needs to be made clear that when it comes to things like lift kits and tires you can run with them, EVERY manufacturer, shop and person in the industry will always refer to what is written on the sidewall and NOT the true height of the tire. In other words, if a 2.5" lift kit states it'll clear 35x12.50R17 tires, they are referring to what is written on the sidewall and NOT a tire that has an actual measurement of 35". In order to get a tire that tall, you would need to be running a 37x12.50R17. Why is that you might as? Because ALL tires have a true measurement that is SMALLER than what is advertised. The ONLY time true tire height matters is when you're recalibrating your speedometer as that's what your speed sensors will be reading.

With all that said, I am asking all of you to help me create a database that can help everyone better understand the difference between advertised tire size and true tire size. To do this, I would be grateful if you could please make a post and based on the following guidelines:

TRUE Tire Size Database Guidelines
    1. State the brand of your tire.
    2. State the size of your tire as written on the sidewall.
    3. With your tire installed, aired up to 30 PSI and with the full weight of your Jeep on it, use a tape measure to measure to the edge of the tire's shoulder (NOT the highest point on the tread) and photograph it as shown in the sample below:

4. State the TRUE measurement you are seeing as well as how many miles you have on the tires.

It is important that everyone follow the exact same metric in order for us to obtain an accurate database. Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you for your help

To kick things off, I will start with a set of tires that I just installed yesterday.

Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T
    Size Stated on Sidewall: 37x13.50R17
    Actual Height: 35-1/8" with ZERO Miles

Nitto Mud Grappler M/T
    Size Stated on Sidewall: 40x15.50R20
    Actual Height: 38-3/16" with about 10,000 miles

Toyo Open Country M/T
    Size Stated on Sidewall: 40x13.50R17
    Actual Height: 37-1/4" with about 10,000 miles

Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T
    Size Stated on Sidewall: 225/75R16
    Actual Height: 28-7/16" with about 3000 miles

GoodYear Duratrac
    Size Stated on Sidewall: 285/70/R17
    Actual Height: 31 7/8" with about 10,000 miles

IMG_1771.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wethy; 03-02-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    '14 JK Sport Anvil 6-Spd 3.73 gearing
    Installed:
    -Rubicon Express 2.5" lift with monotube shocks
    - Cobra Cb 18 WX STII
    - 285/70/17 Duratracs
    - 1.5" G2 Wheel Spacers
    - Rigid Dually Spots
    - Poison Spyder A-Pillar Mounts
    -RC 2.5" swaybar disco's

Awaiting Install:
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Wethy View Post
    Will add photo later

285/70/17 good year duratracs

Actual height 32"
    Stated sidewall height: 33"
    Please do add a photo as that's more what I'm after than anything. Also, what's stated on your sidewall is 285/70R17 - NOT 32". I would prefer that people not include what they think their tire size is supposed to be or what is stated on the manufacturer's website. This will help keep the information here as objective as possible. Last but not least, I'd like you to verify that you are running 30 PSI as is instructed and we need to know how many miles you have on them.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Please do add a photo as that's more what I'm after than anything. Also, what's stated on your sidewall is 285/70R17 - NOT 32". I would prefer that people not include what they think their tire size is supposed to be or what is stated on the manufacturer's website. This will help keep the information here as objective as possible. Last but not least, I'd like you to verify that you are running 30 PSI as is instructed and we need to know how many miles you have on them.

Thanks for your help.
    Ha ha I'll change it for sure! And I went to the good year site to find what they say the side was is supposed to be and that's where I got the 33" from. and I will take a picture once I get home today!

Edit to have changed previous post

I was running 30psi when I did the original test when I calibrated my tires. I'll take it an update with complete accuracy tonight when I get home from work!
    Last edited by Wethy; 03-02-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    '14 JK Sport Anvil 6-Spd 3.73 gearing
    Installed:
    -Rubicon Express 2.5" lift with monotube shocks
    - Cobra Cb 18 WX STII
    - 285/70/17 Duratracs
    - 1.5" G2 Wheel Spacers
    - Rigid Dually Spots
    - Poison Spyder A-Pillar Mounts
    -RC 2.5" swaybar disco's

Awaiting Install:
    -

This is a great thread! This will help a ton of people out.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast