In need of some guidance with clicking sound

mrguinness

My first post. In any forum so I apologize in advance if it is in the wrong location. I did many google searches and on this forum but unable to find anything related to my issue.
I have a jeep wrangler 2007 with a 3.5 inch Rubicon express, procomp 35 inch tires. So my issue began 2 days after an alignment. I took it back to the shop and they try to see what happened but they are unable to figure it out. They re did the alignment and tested again but when i turn the tires it clicks.

Here is a link of the video i took and the click it makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb5U4ctIu8k

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to WAL. If this truly only started after your alignment, check your tie rod and draglink adjustment sleeve bolts. I can't think of anything else. Check control arm bolts too, but chances are they didn't mess with that. Anything else done with the Jeep while it was in the shop. You may want to pop the hood too and see if they left any tools that would be rubbing on your steering shaft.

mrguinness

thanks WJCO. i will check the bolts right now. When i took the jeep to the alignment shop, it took them about 30 minutes but when i drove it home it was not making that clicking noise until the next day. I did checked this morning under the hood just to make sure they did not left something, which one shop years ago, left a wrench in my old car. it was clean, but i will check the bolts right now

thanks WJCO for giving me some ideas. Will update the post once i tighten all bolts

WJCO

Meme King
It sounds to me like brake hardware or a backing plate rubbing on rotor. May be just a coincidence and not related to the alignment at all.

mrguinness

So after putting the jeep on stands, front axle. i moved the steering left and right and no sound. Removed the tires and check to see if brake calipers or anything else was rubbing against the rotor. Found nothing. Once i lowered it. then turned the wheels left and right, i began to hear the clicking sound again. after swearing for a few minutes. decided to take a break and continue tomorrow. Thanks WJCO for helping me eliminate other things. really helps a lot for me

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
So after putting the jeep on stands, front axle. i moved the steering left and right and no sound. Removed the tires and check to see if brake calipers or anything else was rubbing against the rotor. Found nothing. Once i lowered it. then turned the wheels left and right, i began to hear the clicking sound again. after swearing for a few minutes. decided to take a break and continue tomorrow. Thanks WJCO for helping me eliminate other things. really helps a lot for me

Do you have dropped pitman arm? I haven't watched the video but from what your saying it definitely sounds like it's in the steering linkage

mrguinness

I still have the factory pitman arm. did not checked that yet. didn't even cross my mind. i will definitely do that first thing in the morning with better lighting.

thanks 2nd.gunman for the information. i am very happy for this forum. dont feel like going back and forth to the dealer or other shops and pay more to have them trouble shoot more and then end up with other issues.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
You shouldn't have any issues with the stock one but some of the aftermarket dropped pitman arms have a habit of working loose.

jeeeep

Hooked
look for a bent brake dust cover, that sounds similar to what I dealt with not too long ago.

also look at your steering stabilizer bolts, make sure it's not hitting your diff cover

I'm guessing the sound is coming from the opposite wheel

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457014976.589472.jpg

Make sure your the slotted end of your clamps line up with the slot in the adjustment sleeve also. If they aren't lined up it won't clamp right and could cause them to jump threads.

WJCO

Meme King
look for a bent brake dust cover, that sounds similar to what I dealt with not too long ago.

also look at your steering stabilizer bolts, make sure it's not hitting your diff cover

I'm guessing the sound is coming from the opposite wheel

^^Yep. Could be this too.

mrguinness

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. It is fixed now but just wished i knew what fixed it. i checked the brakes and rotor and tie rod clamps as you guys recommended and tighten them more. No more clicking sound. (crossing fingers) :thumb:

Top Bottom