"Snoopy" - 1946 CJ2A Project

SJ21XDC

Picked up a non-running 1946 Willys to mess with last month and have been encouraged to start a thread. I will try to update the progress until completion or it gets to be to much and I sell it :) Anyway here are a few pictures of it when I picked it up.

3.jpg (1-7-16) 2.jpg (1-7-16) 3.jpg (1-7-16) 6.jpg (1-7-16) 8.jpg (1-7-16) 11.jpg (1-7-16) 12.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Very cool! I almost picked up a 46' a few years back to build, as that was the year my Dad was born. Can't wait to see what you do with it!! [emoji106]

SJ21XDC

Thanks guys! My plans are 1st to get it running. 2nd work on the transmission (It doesn't feel like it goes into gear). 3rd work on the steering (It has a crazy amount of play). 4th work on the brakes (I noticed a couple of the lines are not connected). Then hopefully try driving it in the neighborhood. :crazyeyes: If all goes well, I will start on the body. Just writing it all down makes me question what I've gotten myself into! :D

professorkx

On of my first jeeps was a 1942 CJ2A, and yours looks pretty darn complete. I swapped the windshield for a 3A, as the soft top seals better. The old wishbone steering is flat out scary as your speed increases, so I swapped the box to a Saginaw power steering unit and dumped the wishbone for a normal tie rod/drag link system and just built power steering pump brackets.

I had three transmissions, as that was the weak link, so constantly lost the input shaft needle bearings. I finally figured out that if I shimmed the main shaft at the rear right before the bearing to eliminate excess play between the main shaft and input shaft, the transmissions would last behind the small block chevy I had swapped into the jeep. The Dana 18 transfer case is solid, but it's weird having the drive lines both offset to the passenger side.

Enjoy the project. I had a ton of fun in my 2A jeep, but had to sell it after everything was fixed as I needed to start college...

SJ21XDC

On of my first jeeps was a 1942 CJ2A, and yours looks pretty darn complete. I swapped the windshield for a 3A, as the soft top seals better. The old wishbone steering is flat out scary as your speed increases, so I swapped the box to a Saginaw power steering unit and dumped the wishbone for a normal tie rod/drag link system and just built power steering pump brackets.

I had three transmissions, as that was the weak link, so constantly lost the input shaft needle bearings. I finally figured out that if I shimmed the main shaft at the rear right before the bearing to eliminate excess play between the main shaft and input shaft, the transmissions would last behind the small block chevy I had swapped into the jeep. The Dana 18 transfer case is solid, but it's weird having the drive lines both offset to the passenger side.

Enjoy the project. I had a ton of fun in my 2A jeep, but had to sell it after everything was fixed as I needed to start college...

Thanks for the info! :thumb: My plans are to keep it as stock as possible, but that could change, depending what I run into.

SJ21XDC

Here's a couple of updates:

The first thing I was going to do when I got it was a tune-up and new carb. Went to pull the plugs and they were so rusted they just disintegrated, so I had to pull the head. (1-16-16) 2.jpg (1-16-16) 1.jpg

Here's a shot of one of the better plugs.
(1-26-16) 5.jpg

Once I got the head pulled, I had to bust out the porcelain and use an easyout. Number 3 was so bad, I had heat and soak in pb blaster for several days before I could get it to break free.
(1-17-16) 5.jpg

Once I got all the plugs out, I cleaned up the threads, head, block and put everything back together.
(1-26-16) 1.jpg (2-16-16) 4.jpg

And now for the best part - it started!:yup:

More updates to come.

Last edited:
Top Bottom