Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which first: Drivetrain or Lift?

Knows a Thing or Two ScoobyCarolanNC's Avatar

Which first: Drivetrain or Lift?

I've got a 2010 Sahara with the D30 & 3.21s and I'd like to go to 35s on 4.88s. I'm not a rock crawler, I just want a fully capable Jeep for my DD, various adventures, & a trip to Uwarrhie or something every now & then.

So I have to build my rig in 2 phases. 1) rebuilt D44 front, driveshafts, regear to 4.88s. 2) 3.5" Lift & 35s. I'm figuring $3-4K a phase. They might be 8 months apart based on my budget.

Should I lift first, run on 3.21s, & potentially suffer or run 32s on 4.88s until I'm ready. The second option is just no fun & if something comes up it could be a year before I can afford the second phase.

Also I know a lot of members will say get a prorock, but being honest it's overkill for my use. I can spread that money over a few things on the drivetrain that I think will suit my needs just fine.

Whattya think?

Caught the Bug
    Chop your fenders (free), regear ($1000), 35s with 15" steelies ($1250), longer shocks ($200).

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyCarolanNC View Post
    I've got a 2010 Sahara with the D30 & 3.21s and I'd like to go to 35s on 4.88s. I'm not a rock crawler, I just want a fully capable Jeep for my DD, various adventures, & a trip to Uwarrhie or something every now & then.

So I have to build my rig in 2 phases. 1) rebuilt D44 front, driveshafts, regear to 4.88s. 2) 3.5" Lift & 35s. I'm figuring $3-4K a phase. They might be 8 months apart based on my budget.

Should I lift first, run on 3.21s, & potentially suffer or run 32s on 4.88s until I'm ready. The second option is just no fun & if something comes up it could be a year before I can afford the second phase.

Also I know a lot of members will say get a prorock, but being honest it's overkill for my use. I can spread that money over a few things on the drivetrain that I think will suit my needs just fine.

Whattya think?
    Regear & 35's - since you're already wanting 35's you won't be happy until you get them. Trim factory fenders & run a budget boost - you don't need 3.5" for 35's. Throw a budget boost on it & get on down(up?) to Uwarrhie!

Auto or manual?

Already sound advice, just to add to it, the 3.8 with an auto trans, 35's/4.88 will be sluggish on the highway. Go up to 5.13 (wont cost more) and bring the rpms into a more acceptable area.

Again, chop the fenders, get your 35's (review the new tire database on here) maybe 305/??r17 might fit the budget better or even be taller depending on tire manufacture. Budget boost with new longer shocks, then regear and you are good to go. Gear are not that hard, it's lots of math/trial and error on shims, find a good friend with the tools and get it done.
    ** 2010 Unlimited Rubicon ** Gone but not forgotten...
    ** 2016 Renegade Trailhawk**

Douchebag
    I have run 35's on my old JK without issues (a bit of power loss) and without a lift on stock gears. I was able to do some wheeling, but tires rubbed on the fenders when the Jeep flexed. I would go with trimming the stock flares, and a coil spacer and shock extension kit since you are not rockcrawling, and you will keep pretty close to stock suspension handling. That will not break the bank and will allow to save for a future lift. I would not re-gear right away; see how the Jeep handles and if you are willing to live with it. I honestly would not put money on the D30. In the meantime keep an eye out for a pair of Rubi axles (I have seem them as low as $2500-3000 and up locally in the past).

Also save yorself form adding weight to the rig, bumeprs, winch, or other items you wil not need if you do not take the rig crawling. A stock rubi rocker\slider will do the trick to protect the body and it is pretty light.

Good luck!

Gui

I appreciate the ideas but forget about what I picked. Should I lift then upgrade the drivetrain or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyCarolanNC View Post
    I appreciate the ideas but forget about what I picked. Should I lift then upgrade the drivetrain or vice versa?
    Lift and tires 1st.... Drive train later...
    If you have not already think about gussets for your C's.
    Smitty's Build

Lift and tires first. If/when you can't stand the gearing or start breaking stuff then do the gears and replace parts when the time comes. I wouldn't drop money into the drivetrain until it's necessary.

-
    I say c gussets, lift snd tires. Doesnt sound like itll be wheeled much anyway. You wont be happy until your jeep fits the bill visually. Starting out sinking thousands in to a jeep that looks the same afterward will be disheartening lol.

Which first: Drivetrain or Lift?

Thanks y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by xflstl View Post
    Lift and tires 1st.... Drive train later...
    If you have not already think about gussets for your C's.
    Rebuilt 44 I'm looking at has them. It's a shop who builds them as a kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctimrun View Post
    Lift and tires first. If/when you can't stand the gearing or start breaking stuff then do the gears and replace parts when the time comes. I wouldn't drop money into the drivetrain until it's necessary.
    3 kids. Can't be a vehicle down. If I had 3.73s the feeling I got from others was it might be kinda tolerable, but 3.21s will suck.

Quote Originally Posted by MedixJK View Post
    I say c gussets, lift snd tires. Doesnt sound like itll be wheeled much anyway. You wont be happy until your jeep fits the bill visually. Starting out sinking thousands in to a jeep that looks the same afterward will be disheartening lol.
    Yup. Won't be easy to explain to the wife. "No babe, it's a 1310 & those ball joints? Totally rebuildable."
    Last edited by ScoobyCarolanNC; 03-05-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast