Steering wheel wobble

glassboy

I have a 2012 jeep JK with 35" s and a 2 1/2" lift when I hit a bump doing about 50kms the steering wheel wobbles I don't think it's as bad as death wobble however bad enough. Is this normal with large tires or is my front end worn out?

KJ_CJtoJK

I have the same setup (2012 with 35" tires and 2.5" lift). I had less than 25,000 miles on it and everything was tight and i would experience the steering wheel wobble (start of death wobble). I cured the problem by increasing the caster using front control arm drop brackets (JKS brand). The factory caster setting is suppose to be 3.7 to 4.7 degrees, but my lift decreased the caster to 2.4 degrees. After installing the control arm drop brackets my caster increased to 5.4 degrees. You can also install adjustable control arms so that you can adjust the caster, but it costs much more than drop brackets. The drop brackets also provide an additional benefit of restoring the angle of the control arms (restore to approximately level) which gives a smoother stock ride over bumps in the road (forces better directed into springs instead of being transmitted directly thru the angled control arms to the frame).

WJCO

Meme King
You could have bump steer too. Check if your track bar and drag link are parallel. I myself would avoid drop brackets if you can as it's one more thing that can loosen up under stress.

Peak

I have the same thing mine only occurs when I hit about 38mph and stops after 40mph. It started after I got my beadlocks mounted, I'm thinking its a balancing issue. Have you installed new tires or wheels?

Napalm

I had this issue twice on my 2010 2dr. First time it was a wheel balancing issue, second time it was a broken tie rod end and drag link.

Eezybreezy08

I have this problem right now. And it started when I rotated my tires a few weeks ago. And it's only between the speeds of about 50-55

Eezybreezy08

I was thinking probably the balance. I have the Goodyear mtr w/k and they haven't been wearing real good. I can't wait till I use them up and throw on a new set.

Eugene the Jeep

I had the same problem after a rotation. It turned out to be a bad brake rotor. Was really strange because I had no pulsation when I braked due to a warped rotor.

Calys003

My steering stabilizer started leaking and finally took a dump, I started to get wobble when I hit bumps. Changed it to a old man emu & all is well

WJCO

Meme King
I had the same problem after a rotation. It turned out to be a bad brake rotor. Was really strange because I had no pulsation when I braked due to a warped rotor.

Very strange. Wonder if wheels were torqued wrong or something and damaged the rotor.

My steering stabilizer started leaking and finally took a dump, I started to get wobble when I hit bumps. Changed it to a old man emu & all is well

Keep an eye on that. Glad your wobble is gone, but even without a stabilizer on the vehicle at all, it should be wobble free.

Eugene the Jeep

Very strange. Wonder if wheels were torqued wrong or something and damaged the rotor.

Yup very strange indeed. Tried removing the rotor clips, a couple of different places tried balancing, rotated tires to see if was a bad rim. Drove with it for awhile, did a brake job, replaced rotors and pads, problem solved. PITA

Top Bottom