Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D44 front axle seal replacement overview

D44 front axle seal replacement overview

Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post
    It's a very awkward procedure. Helps if you have a friend holding the seal, and socket steady and centered in the housing while you drive it in from the outside. If it starts to go in sideways stop immediately and reposition it, don't try to straighten it out by hitting it more.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I don’t have any experience with the synergy seals, do they look like the OE ones? If you use the method described above it should go nice and easy. Make sure you’re hitting on the flat of the seals and as mentioned above while you hold the seal and sockets together have someone lightly tap to get started straight.. put a little oil on mating surfaces

Sorry quoted the wrong response quicksilver..

Fresh Catch
    I bought this Yukon (YT SA-01) Inner Axle Side Seal Installation Tool. It is now $150 on Amazon. It made the job of pressing the seals in very easy.

Thanks for the write-up!

I used it tonight to replace mine. Only part I struggled with was pulling the carrier out. I ended up using a ratchet strap. Image1537945411.988883.jpgImage1537945442.778369.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dhughes16 View Post
    Thanks for the write-up!

I used it tonight to replace mine. Only part I struggled with was pulling the carrier out. I ended up using a ratchet strap. Image1537945411.988883.jpgImage1537945442.778369.jpg

No problem. Hope it helped. Dang I’ve seen them tight but that’s a creative way to get it out!

Been Around the Block jtpedersen's Avatar
    Took care of my front axles seals over the weekend. Had a few observations I'd share, which might be of use to others.

* Some folks have to work harder than others to get their diff carrier in/out. Going through a tech manual, I find there is actually a tool, a spreader, intended to be used for this operation. The diff can be spread up to 0.020". Of course, we all have one of these in our toolbox .
    spreader.jpg
    line sketches courtesy of www.alldatadiy.com

* I was concerned about the plunger, particularly give the comment about bending it. In the instructions, it is the last thing removed, first thing reinstalled. All I did, was make sure the e-locker coil was properly aligned when putting the diff carrier assy back in. No issues.
    Plunger.jpg

* The e-locker coil plug disconnect cost me a lot of time. Seriously did not want to risk damaging that. No one 'really' had good guidance on it, anywhere I searched. In the end, once the bolt is removed from the outside, all I did was use a pair of channel-locks to push it up. The top of the jaw gripping on the housing's edge, the bottom jaw gentle pushing up on the socket. Whole thing popped up real easily.
    Diff-425.JPG

* One item I've had problems with in the past, is having the positioning ring walk back up the axle. I'm still using D44s, so I can use the castellated ring to guide the axle. This time, I used a single wrap of duct tape to backstop the ring. Worked like a champ. Having also oiled the end of the shaft to help ease it through the seal, it worked perfectly.
    Diff-425-2.JPG

* The Tool
    I've enjoyed seeing the wide range of contraptions, drive rods, and what-have-you, folks use for seating the seals in. I came up with a rather elegant approach that can work well for everyone.

Picked up 2 ~30" 3/8" drive extensions, a 1-11/16" 3/4" drive socket. To connect the extensions (~$25 for 2 3-packs at Harbor Freight) to the 3/4" drive socket, I used a 3/8-to-1/2" adapter into a 1/2"-to-3/4" adapter. I debated between 1-11/16" socket. I'd recommend 1-3/4". Couldn't have worked out better.
    Diff-425-3.JPG
    Diff-426.JPG

Of course, here's the kicker. Project took longer than expected. 2 hours before needing to leave for Easter dinner, an hour drive away, I still had no axles installed. Under the gun, got it all back together, new diff cover, added fluid, dropped Stitch on the ground, my wife loaded dogs and food, and away we went .

Hope this overall thread proves useful for all. When I did a Google search for variations of 'jeep jk d44 front axle seals' this thread always showed up on top.

Backlash

Did you guys recheck the backlash? Should it be checked even if the shims were changed or the pinion wasn't changed? I'm thinking not, but............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12