CoWj Build /I'm back

xwaz

So after about 9 months of owning my 4runner and experimenting with long travel ifs and fancy traction control systems and all those other do-dads I decided that I needed a solid axle jeep again. But I didn't want a wrangler because I started to really like the v8 in the toyota and needed another one. So on to Craigslist I went and after a couple days of searching I found a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited also known as the Wj. It fit the bill quite well. Front and rear solid axles, dana 30 in the front with factory 3.73 gears and a vari lock lsd, rear was a dana 44a with match gears and lsd, at first I was a little sceptical on the strength of the aluminum housing. How ever upon further research I found that the gears are larger and thicker cut, the pinion shaft is the same size as a Dana 60 30 spline shafts and the best part is post 1999 models don't use c-clips "Score!!!".
The wj has the 4.7 power tech v8 with only 106k miles and its has been perfectly maintained by the previous owners. Transmission is the 545RFE mated to a NV247 Full time 4wd t case with a 50:50 lock in low range. Suspension is a 4 link with track bar in front and a 3 link in rear with a triangular upper link that keeps the axle in the middle of the vehicle and doesn't bind up when flexed.
This was the limited model but it came with a gas tank skid plat along with the original quadra drive system aka the vari lok progressive front and rear clutch style limited slip diffs. But being a limited the interior is loaded with goodies like 10 way adjustable heated power seats (heat and forward and back don't work on the drive side but ill fix it some day). Adjustable pedals, dual climate control, a vic or vehicle in car control which has tire pressure sensors options for what happens when it locks, adjustable service interval, mpg read out, and more.
The build won't be starting until I sell the toyota but one it is. The long arms and 33s and lockers will start rolling in along with ton of other little stuff to help Support the main items.

xwaz

First things forst had to flex out the suspension which had probably never seen dirt in its life and wont till its gone and the jeep is lifted.

Attachments

• 1457327851897.jpg
    1457327851897.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 1457327862230.jpg
    1457327862230.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 1457327872549.jpg
    1457327872549.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 1457327898558.jpg
    1457327898558.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 368

CCJKUR

First things forst had to flex out the suspension which had probably never seen dirt in its life and wont till its gone and the jeep is lifted.

not to bad for stock, back in high school me and my brother had one with th 318 in it, and had some fun times, excited to see this build

xwaz

not to bad for stock, back in high school me and my brother had one with th 318 in it, and had some fun times, excited to see this build

Thanks i cant wait to get my hands dirty. I think he would have had a zj 1st gen grand based on the 318 being a 5.2 v8. Where as this is a wj 2nd gen. My first car was actually a zj with a 4.0 the build thread is probably still kicking around and could be found if you searched COZJ.

WJCO

Meme King
Nice rig. Another WJ owner here from North of Boulder. Have fun. Indeed the 44a is a beefy size gear set and close to a 60. I just re-geared mine. FYI I don't think a locker is available with the varilock, have to switch to an open carrier.

xwaz

Nice rig. Another WJ owner here from North of Boulder. Have fun. Indeed the 44a is a beefy size gear set and close to a 60. I just re-geared mine. FYI I don't think a locker is available with the varilock, have to switch to an open carrier.

Nice I'm in Niwot, and the plan was to do an arb which is a carrier style locker in its design.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I really love my WJ. I to have the 4.7 with 545rfe and quadratec. Mated with some duratracs, it has been the ultimate winter vehicle. That being said, the winters have eaten her up. I am going to have to cut both rockers out and replace with something custom. Also every bushing in every control arms are shot and shocks are bad, so I will be needing to either to replace or by a lift kit. Lol other then that, great jeep.

xwaz

I really love my WJ. I to have the 4.7 with 545rfe and quadratec. Mated with some duratracs, it has been the ultimate winter vehicle. That being said, the winters have eaten her up. I am going to have to cut both rockers out and replace with something custom. Also every bushing in every control arms are shot and shocks are bad, so I will be needing to either to replace or by a lift kit. Lol other then that, great jeep.

I think it might be worth to through a 3" short arm on just for the little extra clearance expecially if the jeep will see mild trails that you maybe don't wanna take the big ol' jk out on and just wanna cruiser in a/c and comfort ;). For The rocker you cab always cut them off then weld on some 2x4 rectangular steel tube as a slider then weld out rigers that bolt to the frame for extra support.

Last edited:

xwaz

First things first. Gotta start fixing the neglect from the previous owners yes ownerS there were 7 but I'm gonna hold on for a long time.
The drivers door panel was suffering from the infamous short door wire problem which ment that the main negative wire that runs out of the door was a couple cm too short and had actually broken inside the rubber boot because of stress of normal door operation. This meant that the driver door controls didn't work when the door was open and sometimes worked when it was closed. So I went it and spliced a 2" piece in between the two broken pieces so that it wouldn't have any more stress and after a few minutes it was working perfectly again. Next is passenger side auto locking is broken sounds like a stripped gear. And then new driver seat motor. Possibly ill fix the heated seat as well for those chilly Colorado mornings.

xwaz

Only pic but you can kind of see the new wire.

Attachments

• 1457413839729.jpg
    1457413839729.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 163
Top Bottom