Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: CoWj Build /I'm back

Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    If you plan on doing a lot of recovery work, some cluster hooks are a good addition to your tool kit. They hook into the small holes in the frame that are for that purpose.

Another method is to use a strap through a wheel.

Great work clearing things up.
    Huh that's super cool I may pick one up to throw in my tool kit. I seem to get called out a lot after a storm so maybe this will help in the future!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Ran down to the front range for a long weekend of work, doing some R&D and custom install of a ZR2 diesel Dual battery system and many other things. But all of it almost didn't happen due to a major storm that hit Wednesday and Thursday night. On Wednesday night we got 7" of nice fluffy powder which is always a fun experience.0213192104.jpg
    0213192129b.jpg I drove around for a little while in the powder for fun, and I am extremely impressed with how well the Falkens hook up. I have around 20k miles on them at this point and they look and feel brand new still. Thursday rolls around and boom we get hit by another 7" however this time, it's super heavy dense wet snow. Of course this fell during the day which was just above freezing before dropping back down nice and cold in late afternoon. So all that wet snow turned start to ice. And came the first recovery of the night around 9pm, as I was driving around I came across a Tj on 32 muddies that had tried to pull out of a parking spot on the side of the road. Well due to the snow and ice it kept sliding down the hill away from the road. With a quick pull on a strap he was up and on the road again. Next was a Range Rover that had driven from Texas all day for a weekend of skiing in CB. With all the wet snow they had been driving through the radiator iced up and the truck went into limp mode on Monarch pass. They slowly made it to the center on Gunnison but upon coming to a stop it died, permanently. Of course it had no tow points on the front. So it was to pushing, I gathered a few locals and we pushed this range Rover out of the middle of the biggest intersection of Gunnison. They got a ride to a hotel and that was that.
    I was still waiting to make the call of whether or not I was still gonna try to make the drive back to Longmont, at this time it was still dumping, monarch was closed, and my hope was fading. I awoke on Friday, to sunny blue skies. So I quickly hopped online to check the conditions of Monarch and it was still closed. This time for avalanche mitigation... Oh boy...
    0215190212.jpg
    I had a class till 2pm so I was planning on leaving after that if it every opened. Around 1pm I checked again, and found that an avalanche did happen. But on the west side of town near Blue Mesa.
    But monarch was open! So off I went, after finishing class I loaded up and headed out excepting some snow off the roads. And they were dry and clear...
    0215191425.jpg
    Tons of snow of the road side of Monarch.
    0215191603a_HDR.jpg
    Not nearly as much on Kenosha pass.
    Upon making it home after stilling in a bit of Denver and Golden traffic, I went and filled up gas to see what gas mileage the Jeep got with the 4.56 gears. So the total was 230.9 miles and the Jeep used 11.9 gallons, so 19.4mpg!! Which is awesome and it has stupid amounts of power for climbing hills and passed now. Screenshot_2019-02-15-18-21-55.jpg
    And what was this waiting for me at the shop???
    0216191919_HDR.jpg Question is, what vehicle is this for?

Nice looking ARB bumper!

Nothing but a Thing AZ Explorer's Avatar
    Solid mpg numbers!

The drive back was just about normal for this time of year. The usual small amounts of falling snow that get progressively heavier till I get on the west side of Monarch where is returns to just a light flurry.
    0218191553_HDR.jpg0218191553b.jpg0218191554a.jpg
    Stopped on a dirt road near the summit of Kenosha pass to take some photos of the Jeep in the sun.
    0218191713a.jpg0218191713e.jpg
    Next was another quick stop in Salida where I had caught up to the snow that was predicted to be all over the mountains and front range.
    0218191730a.jpg
    The snowfall increased the closer I got to monarch, now starting to have a little dusting of snow on the road.
    0218191734.jpg
    Never really covered the road but just had enough snow to make it rather dark out. But other than a few deer running out in front of the Jeep nothing exciting happened on the Pass.
    0218191743_HDR.jpg
    Lots of snow towards the top of the pass. Probably a good 8-9 feet that the plows had cut through over the past couple storms.
    Nothing majority exciting, just a normal drive in the winter of Colorado.

Made an attempt to get out camping last night to a rather failure of a trip but on the bright side I had a blast just doing a bit of snow wheeling around Salida on the some of the Forest service roads in the area. There was snow ranging from 6" on the main road to over 2 feet of drift snow off on some side roads.
    0223191745b_HDR.jpg0223191745_HDR.jpg
    Nope not making it up to this campsite, this was a 3' drift that the Jeep fell into luckily it backed right out without issue.
    0223191817.jpg
    The main road wasn't great but it had been driven unlike all the side roads.
    0223191812a.jpg0223191812b.jpg
    Well this is where I had camped last time I was here... Don't think it's gonna happen.
    0223191844.jpg
    Ok, one last road, and it looked promising, only 8-10" of snow but the actual sites had more drifts up to 3'. I think it was at this point I called it and faced another issue.
    0223191848.jpg
    Airing up it gonna be fun... To say the least. I did think about just driving part of the way back to Gunnison without airing up but I had gone down to 14psi and while I would have driven with around 20psi I didn't wanna do it with 14psi.
    So it was a rather failed going trip but a great snow wheeling trip. Got some convince back from my last big snow trip, which was back in 2015 when it ended like this.
    IMG_20151113_095159948_HDR.jpg

Snow like that sucks to drive in, but camping on top of 3 feet of snow is actually really fun. You can level the snow and put a tent anywhere. But without snow shoes, walking around is pretty cumbersome.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Snow like that sucks to drive in, but camping on top of 3 feet of snow is actually really fun. You can level the snow and put a tent anywhere. But without snow shoes, walking around is pretty cumbersome.
    Yup, I did find a spot that was only 4" deep and really wanted to camp there but I had seen a heard of about 200 elk in the canyon and the area I selected was at the bottom on the canyon where they all go funneled down into a narrow section, and that's right where the tent would have gone. So I didn't really want to wake up surrounded by a heard of elk. Plus they scared me by standing right behind me and when I turned around right on the edge of the tree line there were just hundreds of eyes staring right back at me.

Next up the front end gets an update finally!
    0310191455_HDR.jpg
    While I like the look of the Flatlands bumper it honestly was a POS I bent the winch plate up by an inch as well as bent both mounting brackets causing the bumper to shift up and bend the fenders as well. That's what I get for getting the cheap option. Well I learned my lesson.
    0321192006.jpg
    ARB Time!! And if you look closely it doesn't have a winch in it! Well I think the Wj ARB is has the smallest possible clearance for a winch. Even with the top mounted solenoid removed it wasn't even close to fitting that Zeon in there. That or the Zeon is a giant winch. I would have had to cut the entire front cross member out but I wasn't willing to do that, so a few phone calls later we installed the bar without a winch. Hoping a late shipment from warn would arrive in Colorado soon and I could grab a 9.5 XP-S as a upgrade.
    0322191657.jpg
    Amazingly the Warn shipment that was 12 days late showed up the next morning so after a few shop project a took Burt (My Tacoma) down to Denver and picked up my new ultra badass winch! And it came with a sweet bonus!!! A Warn wireless controller kit just randomly in the box and a sticker on the outside saying one was included!
    0323191742.jpg
    I am in love with the new look, so I pulled CoWj inside to pull the bumper off and get the winch in.
    0323192052.jpg
    Clocked and loaded.
    0323192313_HDR.jpg
    Now that is what I call drool worthy...
    0324190906_HDR.jpg
    Gotta love having a long driveway, on a hill, and with a perfect tension weight to help get the new line spooled in perfectly.
    0324190906.jpg
    Really digging the Wireless Remote. Cool addition to the kit.
    0324191633_HDR.jpg0324191633a_HDR.jpg0324191633b_HDR.jpg0324191633c_HDR.jpg
    Of course I had to get some glamor shots while driving back to Gunnison. Oh and Monarch, yeh it's a breeze now, I can hold 60 up the east side if I want. And with the better cooling design of the ARB it stays perfectly at the normal operating temp.
    0325191800.jpg
    Gotta got a photo of MT CB when I was up there for my Birthday. All about the glamour shots with the bumpers right now.

Nothing but a Thing AZ Explorer's Avatar
    Huge improvement with the ARB bumper. The whole Jeep looks great!

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast