Stock front drive shaft leterally destroyed my auto trans case

818 JK

been a rough couple of weeks my 2007 JK with 10,500 miles started leaking trans fluid. Looked at it and found the stock front shaft ground down the side of the case also grinding down what used to be 3 bolts used to test trans pressure. Once I got the case replaced i had a woods shaft made for the front installed and went out to TDS. The last day which my saying has always been just put the jeep on the trailer and leave but not this time we had to go to the Obstacle Course where i got hung up and pushed up the cross member with skid up to where the new shaft made contact and now it's tore up. heading back to the trailer i then heard a engine knock which now is rod and or main bearings. WHY do we do this sometimes i forget? I ordered the 505 performance 4.1 stroker motor which is 5 weeks out. I will create a new post once the motor arrives and give my feedback on how it turns out. Anyways am i the only knucklehead who has destroyed his trans case with the stock front shaft?

WJCO

Meme King
been a rough couple of weeks my 2007 JK with 10,500 miles started leaking trans fluid. Looked at it and found the stock front shaft ground down the side of the case also grinding down what used to be 3 bolts used to test trans pressure. Once I got the case replaced i had a woods shaft made for the front installed and went out to TDS. The last day which my saying has always been just put the jeep on the trailer and leave but not this time we had to go to the Obstacle Course where i got hung up and pushed up the cross member with skid up to where the new shaft made contact and now it's tore up. heading back to the trailer i then heard a engine knock which now is rod and or main bearings. WHY do we do this sometimes i forget? I ordered the 505 performance 4.1 stroker motor which is 5 weeks out. I will create a new post once the motor arrives and give my feedback on how it turns out. Anyways am i the only knucklehead who has destroyed his trans case with the stock front shaft?

Any pictures? Never heard of that. Especially with that low of miles. How high is your lift?

EDIT: I'm guessing the case was damaged after the shaft came apart completely and was swinging around? I've seen that before. Usually there is advance warning like noise and vibration.

Last edited:

818 JK

Any pictures? Never heard of that. Especially with that low of miles. How high is your lift?

EDIT: I'm guessing the case was damaged after the shaft came apart completely and was swinging around? I've seen that before. Usually there is advance warning like noise and vibration.

Have a 3" lift, the only thing that happened to the shaft the boot and clamp ripped off the first time out but since then the shaft has never had a problem in fact it was still working when I pulled it off and tossed in the trash, it looks like when the front left wheel extended full travel the shaft would rub on the side of the trans. The case was replaced already and I did not get any pictures I should have but I wasn't a part of this forum so know one the show the pictures too. I don't think my wife cares about a picture of what will continue to drain the bank account LOL

WJCO

Meme King
I haven't heard of that before. Glad it's done with. Have fun with the new motor.

818 JK

No contact with exhaust, I should have paid more attention to why the boot and clamp was ripped off and I would have seen it was rubbing on the trans case

Evil

I just cant picture it grinding hard enough to destroy it however I have not owned a auto so I don't know how much bigger the housing is. Sucks either way and glad its fixed.

Top Bottom