Rear Axle for TJ

zip04

I have google'd and there is a lot of information on the subject, but I am a little clueless when it comes to the axles and am trying to learn as much as possible. I just purchased a 2003 TJ X that is running the stock 3.07 gear ratio and 33" tires. I know that if I do not plan on doing too much highway driving or rock crawling, I could survive with that set up. However, I will be regearing to 4.10 or 4.56 in the near future. When I do so, I want to upgrade my rear axle and gusset the front axel at the same time. East Coast Gear Supply's Ford 8.8 is the best option I have seen, but do not know what to put for the optional/required drop down options. Since I did not put the upgrades into the Jeep, I am not exactly sure how much lift they put on it (my guess is a 3" based on the sitting height right now in comparison to my old JKU that I put a 3" lift on).

I will not be rock crawling, but will be off-roading and would like the piece of mind. I am sticking with 33s rather than going up to 35s.

IMG_3523.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457561857.814156.jpg

Last edited:

Napalm

I don't really have anything relevant to add to this thread, but I do have to say, Nice TJ :)

jeff_in_rc

If as you say you will not be rock crawling or doing any hard 4 wheeling why go thru the extra expense? You could re-gear and throw a Detroit locker in the back and be done with it. And if your not going to be doing any hard wheeling why gusset the front axle? Are you going to jump your Jeep?

BTW very nice Jeep!

holliewood61

If you get out and check the junk yards you can pick up an 8.8 with 4.10's, lsd, and disc brakes pretty dang cheap. Then you would just need mounts welded on or a truss that incorporates the mounts into it.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Rear Axel for TJ

I agree with holliewood. I did the 8.8 swap in my YJ for around $500. That included axle, brakes and brackets from ECGS. It was 4.10, LSD and had disc brakes. It was from a 2001 Ford Explorer. If you could find that combo, then you would only need to regear the front and save money for other upgrades. Do your research on 8.8s. They came in a lot of different flavors. Good luck.

Just realized you don't have leafs, lol. It might be a little more money for brackets and misc for it to work.

Last edited:

zip04

If as you say you will not be rock crawling or doing any hard 4 wheeling why go thru the extra expense? You could re-gear and throw a Detroit locker in the back and be done with it. And if your not going to be doing any hard wheeling why gusset the front axle? Are you going to jump your Jeep?

BTW very nice Jeep!

I don't trust the Dana 35 in the rear. Gusseting the 30 is extremely cheap for me because I have access to a great welder and a certified mechanic for free and we will be doing all the work ourselves. Essentially, I am looking for the most cost effective way to give myself piece of mind when off-roading. I do not want to be concerned about breaking my axel (specifically in the DANA 35) when hitting a decent bump or tree root.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I've seen this swap done a lot, the 8.8 is a good inexpensive choice for the TJ. With the 4.0 motor and 33's you will be fine with 4.10 gears, the 8.8 is narrower than the 35 so you will need spacers to match the front.

geberhard

Douchebag
X1000 on the 8.8 explorer recomendation. You can pretty much pickup any 96 and up Explorer and will lieklly have 4.10's. LSD and discs. I have helped on several swaps and the 8.8 is a stout axle. Figure another $300 for TJ brackets (or if you are crafty and want to do in teh cheap plasma teh stock brackets of the D35 and weld them on (we did one and was a pain but doable).

I recommend welding the tubing to the center section,as it is prone to spinning if you are going to weld the brackets anyway might as well get it done. You will need a d-shaft and a yoke flange conversion (i.e. to use a regular CV and 1310 shaft and playing a bit with the e-brake cables. find a 4 banger TJ and swap in the front axle and you will have matching geasr for less than the cost of gears and install.

Fun projects and clean TJ good luck!

Gui

ob_tj

This is the route that I am going with my TJ. Just need to get my hands on an 8.8 and someone to help me do the install

geberhard

Douchebag
Good call on the Ranger axles. They are actually very stout, just harder to find. If you can luck out on a Ranger rear end, IIRC most 2010 and up have LSD and disc brakes (aside from the ones that Overlander mentioned with disc on earlier years). cost of a decent used exploder local is about $200, figure $300 in brackets, another $200 in d-shaft and misc and another few hundred for a used 4 banger TJ front axle and you are pretty much done with extra $$ for beer :)

fincher

I really need to start collecting parts for this too. So I can have it built before I break my Dana 35

geberhard

Douchebag
I am not affiliated with this company, but this is the kit we bought along with the conversion flange for Mitch's swap. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10249.html I think not bad for about $250. We installed years back a kit from RE and also a kit from MadMac (not sure if they are still around), but his was the most straightforward and beefiest setup. We normally put the D35 side by side and go through a lot of measuring and use magnetic angle finders.

Looking forward to see you building this up, love them 8.8's!

Azzy5779

My 4.56's

I just found out that I have 4.56 gears in my 03, I bought it like this. I cannot help you with how it fits, but if you would like to know about what Rpm you turn on the highway, its about 2200 or at least around that. I have a 03 Tj on 33's with a 4 inch lift kit on stock axles. What are those wheels? The more I look at them, the more I like them.

Azzy5779

Rear Axel for TJ

Ok thanks, they look like Fuel Revolver wheels. Nice Tj, I like the color.

Last edited:

zip04

I just bought the Jeep, not sure yet. Been looking up axel upgrades/regearing. Haven't really looked too much into those wheels yet.

Top Bottom