2013 JK, Stalling and not starting for 5-10 minutes

Sjb1sjb

I have 2013 Jeep Rubicon with 40K miles, manual transmission, 2.5 inch lift, 35 inch tires. Using a Superchips Flashpaq (setting for tires and 89 Octane performance).

Symptoms: after driving for some time, more then 30 minutes at highway speeds, turn off do some stuff (pumping gas or shopping). Start the Jeep, put it in gear and go, after 20 feet or so she stalls and will not start, have cranking power but will not turn over. Sit for 5-10 minutes and she starts right up with out any symptoms. Can hear a odd sound coming from right below vehicle centrally located (transmission) as i crank (only hear for a split second when it will not turn over) ....... Have noticed at times that when i need to accelerate, it can be hesitant..

have had it in the shop, no problems found, no error messages

could it be a Superchips?? FYI i have put it back on stock setting

i have seen other post on other forums with the same symptoms, with no follow up or solutions
this has happened at an inter section one time, i am worried this could become a safety issue
total times of occurrence, 5-7, usually the temperature was in the 50s and above

one last point
have had issues with differential fluid over flow (Teraflex axle housing with Dynatrac diff covers)

thanks

martinzusmc

No codes? That is odd. My initial thought is Crank Position Sensor, but that would throw a code. It can very well be the supechips.. I had a 2013 Mustang I was data logging and updating the the tune.. Several time the new tune did not take. Had to flash back to stock and redo it.

When you flashed it back to stock did you change the tire size? I would reflash back to stock once more (wheel size and all) & only update the wheel size.

Sjb1sjb

update stall

this just happened

some info, i have it in factory setting (no superchips at all) current temp 42

drove for about 15 minutes, during driving in first or second gear jeep would stutter (like it was not getting fuel) for a second then jerk, this only happened 2 times
got to my destination, did some errands, back to jeep started right up. drove may be 3 minutes with one instance of a stutter.
turning left to get on the fee-way, coasting in second gear jeep stalled, i engaged the clutch to start the jeep. still would not start as i coasted (the motor was making the sound as if the cylinders wear moving but no spark, sounded like a semi down shifting)

as this happened i get a post from a different jeep forum, below

"I got a letter in the mail from an attorney's office about a class action suit on the 2013 year (my year) and they wanted me to call them. One of the symptoms is stalling. I have actually have a friend with a 2013 manual that does stall and won't start for 10-15 min"

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
this just happened

some info, i have it in factory setting (no superchips at all) current temp 42

drove for about 15 minutes, during driving in first or second gear jeep would stutter (like it was not getting fuel) for a second then jerk, this only happened 2 times
got to my destination, did some errands, back to jeep started right up. drove may be 3 minutes with one instance of a stutter.
turning left to get on the fee-way, coasting in second gear jeep stalled, i engaged the clutch to start the jeep. still would not start as i coasted (the motor was making the sound as if the cylinders wear moving but no spark, sounded like a semi down shifting)

as this happened i get a post from a different jeep forum, below

"I got a letter in the mail from an attorney's office about a class action suit on the 2013 year (my year) and they wanted me to call them. One of the symptoms is stalling. I have actually have a friend with a 2013 manual that does stall and won't start for 10-15 min"

Still no codes?

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
No codes? That is odd. My initial thought is Crank Position Sensor, but that would throw a code. It can very well be the supechips.. I had a 2013 Mustang I was data logging and updating the the tune.. Several time the new tune did not take. Had to flash back to stock and redo it.

When you flashed it back to stock did you change the tire size? I would reflash back to stock once more (wheel size and all) & only update the wheel size.

Wouldn't it not start if it were crank sensor?

martinzusmc

Not always.. But it would throw a code. It could misfire, not start or rough idle.. Depends if the sensor is bad or just sending a bad signal. My 2013 mustang GT had a Crank sensor issue. Would run fine and after it would warm up it would misfire and go into limp mode. TSB was to add an O ring to the sensor and do a relearn. Guess the vibrations at certain speeds would send an odd signal.

JEJ0308

I had a similar issue with my '13 JKUR, auto trans. A few times a day on average, my jeep would stall when stopped or just as I was coming to a stop. I was able to avoid it for the most part by always feathering the throttle, even just100 rpms above idle, but obviously this was not ideal. Long story short; after 3 months in and out of the shop, NO CODES, new tranny and just about every other part short of a new engine, it all came down to a bad crank sensor. The dealership hooked a computer up to the jeep and had a guy drive it around and wait for it to stall, then they would send that data into Chrysler and look for...odd stuff, I guess. Luckily I didn't pay a dime for anything and the dealership covered the rental, still quite annoying nonetheless.
What should've cost Chrysler a couple hundred bucks ended up costing $13k+ (according to the invoices of course).

Sooo, not so short story after all, bottom line, bad crank sensor, never threw a code.

Drdiesel1

Most probable fault would be a CKP, but guessing won't help fix it. You should find someone capable of diagnosing it.

Sjb1sjb

Update, took to the dreaded dealer, they said computer needed to be updated, at no cost. Great. So they did that then drove around for an hour and could not reproduce the stall... I drove home and it seemed to be great, better throttle response, more power.

The next night driving home from work at midnight. STALL, wait five minute started right up, only to stall again and I wait five minutes to start up. I drive home pissed.

So today I cleaned the throttle body. Someone suggested that was a possible problem, will see.

WJCO

Meme King
Update, took to the dreaded dealer, they said computer needed to be updated, at no cost. Great. So they did that then drove around for an hour and could not reproduce the stall... I drove home and it seemed to be great, better throttle response, more power.

The next night driving home from work at midnight. STALL, wait five minute started right up, only to stall again and I wait five minutes to start up. I drive home pissed.

So today I cleaned the throttle body. Someone suggested that was a possible problem, will see.

That sucks. Good luck getting it fixed. What a pain.

Bustedback

It sounds like a failing crank sensor. They don't always throw a code when they fail. You say it stalls after running for a while, that tells me the issue is heat related. The crank sensor lives in a harsh environment with lots of heat and vibration, so it's not uncommon for them to crap out. I recommend replacing it with a genuine Mopar sensor. The aftermarket sensors are made to fit a variety of different years and models and could cause other weird issues.

Sjb1sjb

It sounds like a failing crank sensor. They don't always throw a code when they fail. You say it stalls after running for a while, that tells me the issue is heat related. The crank sensor lives in a harsh environment with lots of heat and vibration, so it's not uncommon for them to crap out. I recommend replacing it with a genuine Mopar sensor. The aftermarket sensors are made to fit a variety of different years and models and could cause other weird issues.

sounds like a plan, something i can do, looks easy, will keep you updated

thanks

martinzusmc

Check the wiring coming from the crank sensor as well, to make sure the insulation around the wires are not compromised. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

whistler

Just wondering if you found anything? I have a 13 with a 6 speed trans, but knock on wood have had no issues with it. A cam sensor would also give you the same results, but just like the crank should give you a code.

Sjb1sjb

update, cleaned the throttle body about 3 weeks ago, was running great, then it stalled today (no codes) waited 5 minutes, started up and no problems

before the stall
while driving she did sputter once, then parked her for an hour got back in, started her up, backed out of a parking stall put in first gear when 20 yards to a stop sign (clutch in), tried to go and stalled

this sucks

Sjb1sjb

More info. There is a common denominator that I just realized..this seems to happen when I am at a 1/4 tank of gas. Any ideas.

Top Bottom