P0430: Probably Bad Catalytic Converter

plext0r

As noted in a previous thread, I replaced the driver's side exhaust manifold on my son's 2008 JKU with 145K miles. This did NOT resolve the P0430 code and we're finally taking it to a local custom exhaust shop tomorrow for analysis. In speaking with them over the phone, they explained they would confirm the O2 readings and determine if I just needed a new O2 sensor or a new cat.

They worked up a quote and told me it would be about $500 to replace the driver's side cat. I found SWP has the MOPAR full dual-catalytic setup for $758 and I might be able to install it myself.
http://www.stevewhiteparts.com/jeep...omponents-scat/?part_name=catalytic-converter

Shouldn't I just insist on the MOPAR dual-cat setup? Why would I pay $500 to replace one faulty cat when I might need to replace the other side for another $500 down the road? Am I missing something? Thanks.

Drdiesel1

Buy the OE cat setup. Aftermarket cats are only 60% efficient and will have a shorter life.
There is no free lunch and you can bet they're making pure profit with one aftermarket cat
at that price. OE is the only way to go for a long life repair. P0430 will also set if you have
any exhaust leaks before the cat. Make sure the system has no leaks or cracks in the manifold.

Upstream (pre-cat) HO2S will switch and the downstream (post-cat) should be steady of the cat is good.

plext0r

Buy the OE cat setup.

Thanks for the advice; this is the direction I was leaning. I just picked up the Jeep from the custom exhaust shop where they ran computer diags and also tested fuel pressure. They don't believe anything is wrong with the engine to cause the cat to be fouled prematurely; the manager said he's seen cats in 2006+ vehicles lasting less time than previous vehicles. He said it used to be cats would last around 160K to 200K miles, but now he's seeing them go bad around 120K to 150K.

I took the Jeep home and plan to order the OE MOPAR 4-cat setup and install it at home as I believe I can pull it off. I hope I can reuse the existing O2 sensors since they appear to have been replaced previously.

Drdiesel1

Thanks for the advice; this is the direction I was leaning. I just picked up the Jeep from the custom exhaust shop where they ran computer diags and also tested fuel pressure. They don't believe anything is wrong with the engine to cause the cat to be fouled prematurely; the manager said he's seen cats in 2006+ vehicles lasting less time than previous vehicles. He said it used to be cats would last around 160K to 200K miles, but now he's seeing them go bad around 120K to 150K.

I took the Jeep home and plan to order the OE MOPAR 4-cat setup and install it at home as I believe I can pull it off. I hope I can reuse the existing O2 sensors since they appear to have been replaced previously.

How many miles on them ? If it's over 100K, you might wanna get two new upstream sensors from the dealer too :twocents:

Top Bottom