Beware of Self-Car Wash

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
My son borrowed my Jeep to go to the snow. Like a good son, he stopped and washed it on the way home. The next day I am in the garage and WTF?!?!? The Jeep is covered in scratches. Son told me he used the brush at the car wash. It looks like the brush was covered in sand and rubbed all over my Jeep. Needless to say son is at his girlfriends while I try to rub out the damage.
FML!

image-295017652.jpg

image-4219312264.jpg

image-4121703750.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
O.... M.... G.... That totally sucks!! :shock:

While I'm sure that a good ocilating buffer can take that out, a good one costs a lot of money and takes a lot of work to do right. Your best bet might be to hire a detailer to do it for you.

Robar

The Enforcer
That sucks a big one. On the flip side, he did a good job and didn't miss a single spot. :blush:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Btw--this thread reminds me that it's not just OCD that makes me feel the brushes every time I go to use them at these places and even change stalls when they feel stiff. :crazyeyes:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I am pretty damn CDO (alphabetically correct) myself and only use these places when I am on the road. I have a power washer and brush to get her clean. I spent the day with rubbing compound and buffing the hell out of it. Not too bad but still scratched. :grayno:

FoxC

Well, look at it this way, at least he washed it...:thinking:
It will buff out though. My daughters put some nasty scratches on my last family car which was a very dark grey and they buffed out with a good buffer and polishing compound. Just dont hold it in one spot too long or you will end up with rings instead of staight, scratches.:naw:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Btw--this thread reminds me that it's not just OCD that makes me feel the brushes every time I go to use them at these places and even change stalls when they feel stiff. :crazyeyes:

+1 on that. I've gotten to the point now that I don't even use the brush. I go to the car wash later at night with my bucket and sponge, and hand wash it that way. Too many muddy trucks use the one in my area.

Like eddie said, a good buffer would take it out, but they are expensive. I have a Porter Cable orbital that I use on my vehicles. I've gotten my moneys worth out of it!

MTG

Caught the Bug
highoctane said:
+1 on that. I've gotten to the point now that I don't even use the brush. I go to the car wash later at night with my bucket and sponge, and hand wash it that way. Too many muddy trucks use the one in my area.

Like eddie said, a good buffer would take it out, but they are expensive. I have a Porter Cable orbital that I use on my vehicles. I've gotten my moneys worth out of it!

Good idea with the bucket and sponge!

Jersey_Devil

Holy Crap! I got a scratched up like that in the woods if not worse, I used NUFINISH scratch remover, works like a charm! I think after it actually has a better finish than the day I drove off the lot!

U can get it at any auto parts store.... Orange container with black letters

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Holy $h!t Don, I just cried a little... That's terrible. Hopefully some rubbing compound and black wax will make him good as new.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Haha...

Looks like he needs to pay up for a full detail

Ummm ... His mom tried to defend him by saying the Jeep had scratches before. If I were to make him pay for a full detail, rest assured it would come out of my bank account. :grayno:
I spent literally the whole day with rubbing compound and elbow grease. It is as good as its gonna get, which considering the condition it was in is not too bad.

TacPen

Banned
Easiest thing to do next time you're at the self-wash is just to high-pressure rinse blast the brush before you start washing the rig. I always do this and it seems to get all of the muck and sand off the brush (yes, I also learned through experience).

mo-jac

Yeah, that's a 3-stager for sure especially being a dark color.

• Polish compound
  • glaze
  • finish off with a good wax
You'll be good as new again and better

Top Bottom