Question about Manual transmission fluid

ChopperDoc

Hi everyone,
Just had a question about the manual transmission fluid, has anyone used the royal purple synchromax or the pennzoil sychromesh? Please let me know what you think

swampdog

Nope, I just did mine last week with the Mopar fluid from the dealer specifically for our transmission. Worked great and still shifts smooth. You will need 3 quarts.

JKbrick

I know a lot of people don't like royal purple but I do, I emailed royal purple to ask them about synchromax in the six speed transmission and transfer case and they said it was fine for either.

JeepDrum

Mine has had pennzoil in it for about 10k miles and I have not noticed a difference from when I had the fluid from the factory in it. Getting that drain plug out was a real pain in the ass though.

ChopperDoc

Mine has had pennzoil in it for about 10k miles and I have not noticed a difference from when I had the fluid from the factory in it. Getting that drain plug out was a real pain in the ass though.

Thanks for the info JeepDrum, if you have not noticed a difference than I guess I will not go with Pennzoil. I hope everything goes well when I change it, used a cut off wheel and made a tool for the drain plug. I don't know why they would put the exhaust directly in the way of the drain plug

JeepDrum

Thanks for the info JeepDrum, if you have not noticed a difference than I guess I will not go with Pennzoil. I hope everything goes well when I change it, used a cut off wheel and made a tool for the drain plug. I don't know why they would put the exhaust directly in the way of the drain plug

Yeah I had to make a tool also. If you're looking for a oem replacement, the pennzoil has been fine. I've heard royal purple and amsoil are supposedly better somehow, but I have no experience with those brands.

ChopperDoc

Yeah I had to make a tool also. If you're looking for a oem replacement, the pennzoil has been fine. I've heard royal purple and amsoil are supposedly better somehow, but I have no experience with those brands.

I wanted to go synthetic but wanted to check with everyone here first to find out what is working the best

rinkishjk

I have been running amsoil syncromesh oil for a long time. No issues. I just use a pair of vise grips on the drain plug. It's a terrible spot with the cross over tube. I have used the rp and Penn also.

ChopperDoc

I have been running amsoil syncromesh oil for a long time. No issues. I just use a pair of vise grips on the drain plug. It's a terrible spot with the cross over tube. I have used the rp and Penn also.

thanks for the input rinkishjk, you like the amsoil better, can you notice a difference between amsoil and the others?

rinkishjk

thanks for the input rinkishjk, you like the amsoil better, can you notice a difference between amsoil and the others?

It did make a difference with the shifting feel for me, especially when it's cold. I have about 92k on my jk, and honestly I've been using it since around 20k. I also use their atf4 equivalent fluid for the tcase. Have had great luck so far.

ChopperDoc

It did make a difference with the shifting feel for me, especially when it's cold. I have about 92k on my jk, and honestly I've been using it since around 20k. I also use their atf4 equivalent fluid for the tcase. Have had great luck so far.

I will have to look in to this, do you have to order this or is it available at auto store?

explorebc4x4

I changed my fluid end of December and used pennzoil synchromesh. I have put about 15,000 km since then and it is now not shifting as nice as before I changed it, especially in the mornings when it's cold. This weekend I'm changing it again and using mopar fluid.

Samlautranger

Hi everyone,
Just had a question about the manual transmission fluid, has anyone used the royal purple synchromax or the pennzoil sychromesh? Please let me know what you think

I switched out to Royal Purple in my old 2012 Rubicon. May have just been psychological, but felt it shifted smoother and ran better.

jesse3638

Hooked
Can someone confirm the quantity of fluid used? I went to the dealership to get the fluid and was told it'll take 1-3/4 quarts and bought 2. I see some say I'll need 3. Just don't want to get in the middle of it and not have enough and no way to get more...haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
That sounds about right. I bought the oil to do it a few months ago but never got around to it. I think I only bought 2 quarts. I’m on my way home now I’ll check when I get there in a few minutes. I think I went off the write up here on WAYALIFE for the quantity needed

Top Bottom