35s with a 3.73 gear ratio

VicEspo468

I am expecting to buy 35x12.50R17 mud tires and 17x9 Mickey Thompson Baja Lock wheels within the next few months. I drive a stock '07JKU with a Smittybilt Front Bumper and will be buying a 2.5" spring and shock lift from Teraflex. I would just like some opinions on if I should get a new front and rear gear ratio instead of keeping my 3.73 stock ratio.

Napalm

I rolled around with 35s on 3.73s for a while. It sucked but was doable. If you've got the funds, regear.

keno4x4

I would agree with napalm. I am running 35's with 3.73's. It works "OK" until a decent grade on the highway comes up and I am pack up for a trip. My 2 door struggles!! Planning on regaer soon.

Samlautranger

The graph posted above is for the 2007-2011 3.8.

Here is one for the 2012-2016 JK with the 3.6.

Big difference between the two.

Been research this myself. Use to have a Rubicon manual. With 4.1 gears. Once upgraded to 315s, ran fine. Re programmed as well..

Recently test drove a used 2015 JKU with 3.73s and 35 x 12.5 MTs on it. Drove like a dog, just did not have any get up and go torque or power.

I am in the same boat. Was going to get a Willy's that already has the 3.73 gears, or order a sport and do the $695 up grade to 3.21. But, since looking at putting on 35s/315s (which are actually about 34.5"), be better to put that money towards a re-gear which is going to run around $1,100-$1,200.

Seems to me, from research I am doing, is that 4.56 gears is the sweet spot for 315s or 35" tires. If you have Auto transmission? (Going Auto this time, was not happy with the JK's manual last time). 4.88s if you want to go 37s.

Attachments

• gallery_2_46_253610.jpg
    gallery_2_46_253610.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 229

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The graph posted above looks a bit off.

Here is one that I believe is more accurate.

Been research this myself. Use to have a Rubicon manual. With 4.1 gears. Once upgraded to 315s, ran fine. Re programmed as well..

Recently test drove a used 2015 JKU with 3.73s and 35 x 12.5 MTs on it. Drove like a dog, just did not have any get up and go torque or power.

I am in the same boat. Was going to get a Willy's that already has the 3.73 gears, or order a sport and do the $695 up grade to 3.21. But, since looking at putting on 35s/315s (which are actually about 34.5"), be better to put that money towards a re-gear which is going to run around $1,100-$1,200.

Seems to me, from research I am doing, is that 4.56 gears is the sweet spot for 315s or 35" tires. If you have Auto transmission? (Going Auto this time, was not happy with the JK's manual last time). 4.88s if you want to go 37s.

The OP has a 2007 so he has a 3.8, not a 3.6 like the graph you posted so your graph is not accurate

deadguy

I drove with 35s with a 3.8 on 3.73s for almost 80k miles and it was not that bad. Does a regear help? Yes. My mpg actually got worse when I regeared if your worried about that(depends on what gears as well). Some hills were tough in the highway but not unbearable at all

Samlautranger

Of course with the 3.6 Auto 2 door, I still debate if upgrading the gearing to 4.1 would be better than 4.56, for 315 or 35" tires. I know AEV recommends and ships out their builds, with 35" tires, with 4.1 gears.

Wish Jeep would allow the 4.1 gear upgrade on all models, not just the Rubicon edition. :mad:

Eezybreezy08

Regear for certain. I have an 08 that had 3.21 gears and I ran that with 33. It was horrible. I know you said yours is 3.73, but still, factoring in 35, it will still suck. Now if you had the 3.6 that would be a different story

NavyJeeper

Got my Tj from a yahoo who owned the jeep just for show never took it off road and I have a 2.5 4 cylinder. This thing can crawl but doesn't do anything on the road. Axle update is in process as we speak as I wanna get bigger tires. You gotta re gear or axle up if you wanna have a worth while rig

ob_tj

Got my Tj from a yahoo who owned the jeep just for show never took it off road and I have a 2.5 4 cylinder. This thing can crawl but doesn't do anything on the road. Axle update is in process as we speak as I wanna get bigger tires. You gotta re gear or axle up if you wanna have a worth while rig

Oh shit I thought you had the 4.0!

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I had 35s on my 2010 with 3.73s and it was doable as mentioned before. A programmer helped with the shift points. I now have 37s with the same gears and I don't really use my OD anymore but it's still doable. With 35s I got around 14.8 MPG around town. I'm getting around 13.8 with mostly highway driving with 37s. I will finally be able to re gear in about a month.

Top Bottom