Thinking about a cooler, need some info

el_chupo_

I am thinking of picking up a new cooler, as right now they only hard cooler I have is a 100qt Igloo Marine extreme. It fits in the back, but at about 34" it is a little big for regular use for 2 people.

The other issue is that I have a Tuffy Security deck to worry about - but I dont have it in right now, as some other stuff is in the Jeep, so I cannot get measurements...

So first up, anyone happen to know height and length I can fit (preferably on driver side where the bump is) in there at the top (where cooler is widest).

Also, anyone happen to use a particular cooler that fits under the security deck?

I also know the recommendations for the ARB fridge will come in - it is being considered, but a good mid sized cooler will be used with other vehicles and situations (Igloo certainly wont fit in any of the other cars, and the ARB wouldnt either... Also, ARB wont fit under the deck in the size we are thinking about, so it would be used in different situations anyways.

EDIT: Ended up ordering Siberain Coolers 30qt model, link is in post 15 below.

Thanks All!

Last edited:

Desert Crawler

I picked up a Coleman 48 qt cooler. It's 14.5" tall which is the absolute tallest that will go under my Aries trunk enclosure. It fits perfectly, but I don't know how much room is under the tuffy. I have no complaints with it, but l think I will pony up for a yeti or pelican cooler when I need another.

RUBEERCON

If space is an issue you may consider a flexible soft cooler. I run the AO coolers boating and wheeling. Look at the carbon series it holds ice longer than the canvass series. The 3 pack is worth getting, 3 sizes at a discounted price. Cheaper than a Yeti bag.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458704995.408912.jpg

I also run a yeti hard cooler if I'm on a 3 day trip. Work great but interior space is limited due to wall thickness. RTIC is a great option if considering a Yeti. Zero difference other than price.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I got an Igloo Marine too and been happy with it. I can't see spending money on one of those Yeti or the others that are several hundred dollars.

Desert Crawler

For the price it is tough to beat the igloo marine coolers. I have one, but due to the size of mine it generally only gets used at music festivals, or when I'm towing my jeep trailer. The reason I'm eying the pricier hard coolers is for their bear proof qualities.

el_chupo_

I picked up a Coleman 48 qt cooler. It's 14.5" tall which is the absolute tallest that will go under my Aries trunk enclosure. It fits perfectly, but I don't know how much room is under the tuffy. I have no complaints with it, but l think I will pony up for a yeti or pelican cooler when I need another.

That is cutting it close, hopefully I get a hair more room with the Tuffy, but we shall see. 14.5 cuts out a huge number of options larger than about 35 quarts. And almost all of the Rotomold coolers...

Thanks!

If space is an issue you may consider a flexible soft cooler. I run the AO coolers boating and wheeling. Look at the carbon series it holds ice longer than the canvass series. The 3 pack is worth getting, 3 sizes at a discounted price. Cheaper than a Yeti bag.
View attachment 194271

I also run a yeti hard cooler if I'm on a 3 day trip. Work great but interior space is limited due to wall thickness. RTIC is a great option if considering a Yeti. Zero difference other than price.
I am getting soft coolers as well - we use a soft cooler for most day trips, or if we know we will be just packing a lunch or drinks for a day. One we have right now is going to be replaced, actually looking at AO/Bison coolers for that particular need, as well as the new RTIC soft cooler.

Right now we have one sized for 6 cans (4 bottles of water and some ice fit well). Then a "30 can" one (with no ice), that is more like about 16 cans and some ice, but it will also hold about 15 bottles of water with ice, so we use it the most. The AO SUP cooler looks to be about the same size.

I dont want to go too big on the soft sided one though, always handy to have that seat/table when out somewhere where I might want more stuff.

Looking at RTIC, Bison, Grizzly, K2, Pelican, Orca, etc. Hell, even learned that Walmart is getting into the game with an Ozark Trail branded rotomold, I believe a 52qt for $150, and a couple other sizes.

I got an Igloo Marine too and been happy with it. I can't see spending money on one of those Yeti or the others that are several hundred dollars.

I like the igloo, but I dont have space to store a ton of hard coolers with none being able to fit inside of each other, and if I can get a midsized that will suffice for most of our needs, and be certified for bear areas for overnight trips when we go places where that is needed, ill spend the money once. Especially with the more moderately priced alternatives like I mentioned above. Just have to know it fits, and wont be able to get the tuffy deck back into the Jeep for several days.

But I have no complaints about the Igloo (looked it up, its actually their Max Cold line), it will hold ice for 2-3 days in TX heat with moderate use, which is just dandy for 1/4 or less the cost of a large Yeti.

el_chupo_

Found in some online searching that height is 14.5-14.75 depending on if you have the carpeted liner in. I also have the locking cubby from Tuffy, so that may cut down a little too.

Gonna have to look for some uniquely shaped coolers if I am going to stay under 14.5" though...

Napalm

My friend has a SubZ cooler. it looks like a pretty serious cooler and it's made right here in Fort Worth. It looked comparable to Yetis or Pelicans. I'll get some measurements for you tomorrow but I do believe it will fit under the security deck.

el_chupo_

So I can confirm I have right about 14.5", and not much more. From my searching, that kills about every brand of roto molded cooler I can find, including most of the 20qt versions.

I have found a couple of igloos that might work, but it looks like if I want a cooler under the security deck, i am going with a soft cooler...

Unless anyone knows of one I am missing that will fit.

Speeddmn

Check out RTIC coolers

Not bashing the company but they are a Yeti knock off. They changed a few small things to get around patent issues. Also they used to have a 5 or 7 year warranty and now its 90 days. Last I heard they were still back ordered.

There are plenty of good coolers out there and if you use these heavy duty ones they will all keep ice for 5 plus days no problem.

Personally im a fan of the coleman extreme series. I think Kelty has a 35-45 qt aize that has a hard top and collapsed sides. Might be worth a glance.

JKDOC1

Coleman actually makes one that is exactly like the ARB but for way cheaper and I think it does fit under the deck....I should be getting my deck in soon so hopefully I will have an answer for you on that one

el_chupo_

X2 for Pelican, keeps ice for days in the back of my pickup in the Hot summer sun, better latching of the lid than the Yeti too.

Check out RTIC coolers

Thanks guys - I am not looking for general cooler info or recommendations though. I think I am aware of most brands of rotomold coolers on the market, which is why I posed the question. Pelican is one of the tallest, and the lest likely to work for the specific desires for this situation.

I do have one of the RTIC soft sided coolers on order, much prefer the design over the Yeti Hopper, but wish it had the same outer materials, but we shall see how it goes.

I have found one that is looking promising, but the 30qt has me hesitant at $200+, but it might be my only option. I was just hoping to hit the 40-50qt size. But, this should hold about 20-22 bottles of water + ice, or easily handle 24 cans + ice (probably 30 cans if trying). It would probably be good enough, if im honest.

http://siberiancoolers.com/shop-coolers/siberian-30-white
transparent+Cooler+Generic+WHT+Front2.png

Found this one too: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B6LL0QY?psc=1

But its really only about 33 qts, and its right at the limit for my jeep with the security cubby + security deck.

Not bashing the company but they are a Yeti knock off. They changed a few small things to get around patent issues. Also they used to have a 5 or 7 year warranty and now its 90 days. Last I heard they were still back ordered.

There are plenty of good coolers out there and if you use these heavy duty ones they will all keep ice for 5 plus days no problem.

Personally im a fan of the coleman extreme series. I think Kelty has a 35-45 qt aize that has a hard top and collapsed sides. Might be worth a glance.

I couldnt care less about them or the others knocking off Yeti (and really, all the rotomold stuff is close enough to not sweat for my needs), I dont need a sticker to make my day.
They just dont fit. I would even spend Yeti money if I could get one to fit.

Like you, I know any good heavy duty coolers should work, the height is killing me. If I had another inch of space, this would all be moot. Even the 36qt Coleman Xtreme 5 looks like its about 3/8" too tall.

Kelty is pretty cool, but I just dont think I need a fully collapsible with the soft sided coolers currently available.

Coleman actually makes one that is exactly like the ARB but for way cheaper and I think it does fit under the deck....I should be getting my deck in soon so hopefully I will have an answer for you on that one
Only Coleman one I found is their PowerChill Thermoelectric. Not quite the same as an ARB, as they advertise "up to 40* lower than ambient". If it were inside a running vehicle, that would be good, but in a Jeep, in TX, in the summer, it just wont fly for me. Daily temps all summer of 95-105 means a full on fridge (ARB or Engel), or a lot of ice.

Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone!

Last edited:

el_chupo_

View attachment 194271

I was going to ask, what makes the Carbon series better than the other vinyl series or canvas?

AO makes the Bison, which I like for the Molle (add a small pouch for dry stuff).

Thanks

el_chupo_

I went ahead and ordered Siberian 30qt listed above. I found a 15% off coupon, and this weekend (Easter weekend) they are doing 2 free tumblers with a cooler purchase. Dont really need them, but the cooler with coupon is much cheaper than a Yeti 20qt Roadie, which was one of the few that will fit under the security deck, and has 50% more capacity.

Not bear certified, but I can cross that bridge when needed, as I would most likely need a larger cooler in a different location (or without the security deck) anyways.

Last edited:

RUBEERCON

I assume the canvas breathes and the carbon vinyl material is sealed better. I have experienced it first hand while boating with my friend and both coolers. The carbon keeps ice better than my canvas. I'm moving on to the carbon style or possibly a rtic bag.

geberhard

Douchebag
I know you are lookng for coolers but there are also mini fridges that will run in about teh same range size wise and cheaper than an ARB fridge. have you checked out www.truckfridges.com and compact appliance offerings?
P65_vl1.jpg

Top Bottom