The Butters JK Build

Stotch

Caught the Bug
This is "Butters" back when it was new to me.
Jeep.jpg
It is a 2009 6-speed with mostly stock X model components. From what I've gathered the previous owner didn't give a shit. Underneath the carpet was a bunch of garbage (chewing gum, cigarettes, sticky stuff...). It was a repo though, so that was all expected. It has a cheap coil spacer lift with no new links or shock extensions or anything else. Decent 16x8 Alluminum alloy wheels and new 305/70R16 Falken Wildpeaks.

FYI: I'm playing catch up. Most of this was done over the past year. I'm going to try to keep a build thread up to date from now on. As much for my own enjoyment as any of you I'm sure. :) Any advice is always welcome.

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
First Mod, Center Console and Clean!

Picked up a console from a junk yard for $75.
Old
oldConsole.jpg
New
newConsole1.jpg
newConsole2.jpg
Also tore up the shift knobs getting them off, so I got me some Rock Knobs!
RockKnobs.jpg

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Top Hardware Repair and New Bestop

The stay pad/bow straps were all ripped up so I had to dremel off the old rivets and used tow straps to re-attach with some metal trim screws I picked up.
stayPadRivets.jpg
stayPadRivets2.jpg
Sorry I don't have pictures of the rest. I also put in a new tinted window Bestop after. Made a huge difference!

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Body Armor 4x4 Rocker Guards with Step

They look great. Really sturdy even though they are body mounted.
rockers.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Stubby Bumper Mod

Finally worked up the guts...
That's my dad's brand new 2016 JKUR HardRock (named Stryder) next to Butters.
stubby.jpg
stubby2.jpg
Added caps, still cleaning it up...
stubby3.jpg
This was the first write up I saw on WAL. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
DIY Self Disconnects

Still a work in progress... advice is welcome :)
Clevis pin, and washers
disco.jpg
Stow brackets
disco2.jpg
disco3.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Seat Belt Addition

Added a third seat belt for the back of the 2-door seat. It should work great for sqeezing in a nephew for a trail ride :)
belt2.jpg
You can see where I cut slots in the floor for the belts. Bonus: My DIY Hi-Lift jack mount!
beltandjack.jpg
Inside the under-floor storage where I bolted the belt onto the body.
blet.jpg

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Trying the bare frame look in the rear. I'd still have some cleaning painting to do, but maybe with the EVO rear...
1459560717192.jpg
1459560727627.jpg

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
JKUR coils and shocks!

Coils (17/59) and shocks were off a 2015 JKUR, new swaybar links too; $50 off craigslist. Lost about 1/2 inch going from the 2" BB, but now my geometry matches up a little better. It rides and steers like brand new too! Still 1 1/2" taller than stock :)
FrontBefore.jpg
FrontAfter.jpg
RearBefore.jpg
RearAfter.jpg
AfterJKURsusp.jpg

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Leveling

Chopped my 2" budget boost with a hand saw and put it back in the front to level it out. I was in a hurry so I didn't get many pictures, but I got this one right after I put them back in. Also put in some used rear sway bar links ($10 on CL) in the front; the sway bar is finally level!
Leveling.jpg

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Added a third seat belt for the back of the 2-door seat. It should work great for sqeezing in a nephew for a trail ride :)
View attachment 194585
You can see where I cut slots in the floor for the belts. Bonus: My DIY Hi-Lift jack mount!
View attachment 194586
Inside the under-floor storage where I bolted the belt onto the body.
View attachment 194587

Those look like the vinyl seats in the '09 I had. Loved vinyl, because you're apt to get caught in the rain with the top down, where I live. Nice Jeep! It's good to see another 2-door build.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Those look like the vinyl seats in the '09 I had. Loved vinyl, because you're apt to get caught in the rain with the top down, where I live. Nice Jeep! It's good to see another 2-door build.

Thanks! I love being able to just wipe down the seats. Both my TJ and YJ had cloth seats, smelled like wet dog for days if I was caught in the rain.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
More Leveling and Extensions

Put in the front shock extensions and cut short coil spacers for the rear. Still waiting on the rear extensions and bump stops...
shockExt.jpg
Then took it out for the weekend!
JeepFlex2.jpg
JeepAtCamp2.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
EVO 1/4 Pounder Time!

Just put this on this weekend. Still waiting to get a winch and put the lights back on (probably a fairlead mount). Looking at a Warn M8000 on craigslist right now...
0.25PounderBefore.jpg
0.25Pounder.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
KC Lights

I put the KCs back on the 1/4 pounder today. Still looking for that perfect winch...
KClights.jpg

Top Bottom