MOAB Mends!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A week before the 50th Annual Moab Easter Jeep Safari, Cindy and I got a chance to go wheeling and help Dynatrac with a variety of photoshoots out on a host of different trails. On one of the days, we ran Gold Bar Rim and Golden Spike and spent a good amount of time getting their rig twisted up in the Golden Crack. Of course, for the purpose of just highlighting their all new XD60 and nothing else, they decided to run all factory steering components and without a ram assist. As you can imagine, doing this with a set of aired down and sticky 39" BFG Krawlers proved to be a bit of a challenge and unfortunately, it was one that would ultimately lead to a failure at the drag link.
IMG_4895.jpg

Lucky for them, Cindy and I had our trusty welder with us as well as a grinder to help with the prep work.
IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4901.jpg

After straightening out the drag link the best we could, it was time to start burning it back together.
IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

It's a good thing we also had a tool bag full of good bar stock. I think this one in a 7mm size should do well to help hold things together and won't be missed.
IMG_4915.jpg

It may not be the prettiest thing but it worked and got him off the trail. And that, my friends, is our MOAB Mend of the day. For those of you out in Moab now or have been there before and had a bit of trail carnage of your own, we'd love to see and hear all about it and would especially love to know how you mended things up to get you off the trail. :cool:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Love the ingenuity! How did it hold up the rest of the time? Did you guys replace it once you got to town?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Love the ingenuity! How did it hold up the rest of the time? Did you guys replace it once you got to town?

Held up great and got them off the trail without any problems. Of course, Cindy and I have done this before and knew it would work. They did replace it once they got back to town.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Hopefully then send you the old one...it would make a great conversation piece for the Wayalife garage wall. ;)

jesse3638

Hooked
I think I saw somewhere on the internet where someone did the same thing to repair an axle housing...;). Glad to see it held up. Trail ingenuity is awesome great thread starter.

JAGS

Hooked
Held up great and got them off the trail without any problems. Of course, Cindy and I have done this before and knew it would work. They did replace it once they got back to town.

Can't weld, can I just use a boat ton of zip ties. [emoji106][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

BTkillerr

Drag link on Kane Creek

2 years ago on Kane Creek I broke the drag link where it bolts to the knuckle. Just the threaded end broke leaving just enough to sit down into the knuckle. Another jeeper on the trip had some bailing wire and wired that sucker up tight and added in 2 very thick zip ties to seal the deal. Made it back to the EJS trade show where Currie sold me their display drag link. Steering helps a bit on the trail:crazyeyes:
2nd break of that trip...so far nothing this trip :doh:

BTKillerr

Benito

Caught the Bug
I think I saw somewhere on the internet where someone did the same thing to repair an axle housing...;). Glad to see it held up. Trail ingenuity is awesome great thread starter.

I think that was in one of the wayalife videos.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Yeah, as most of you know, I've done a similar fix in the past only it was on the Rubicon and to fix a broken axle tube. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea and a bigger wrench stock. What does your welder run off of?

LOL!! We have an old Hobart Trek 180 and it's a portable mig welder that has it's own battery. You can burn 1/4" for about 10 minutes with it. Unfortunately, Hobart has discontinued it. :grayno:

mdrums

Strong Drag Link?

OK so obviously the stock drag link has limits....so what are some of the stronger drag links on the market?

I've been reading about the Steersmarts Yeti Drag Link and tie rod and have read those are very strong......what else is really strong?

thanks...great 1st post and thread!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
OK so obviously the stock drag link has limits....so what are some of the stronger drag links on the market?

I've been reading about the Steersmarts Yeti Drag Link and tie rod and have read those are very strong......what else is really strong?

thanks...great 1st post and thread!

How many broken stock drag links have you seen? I haven't seen many. I wouldn't waste your money on something that isn't needed.

Top Bottom