09 Jeep JK - Power Steering Gearbox issues

tuc8458

Hi all,

I have an 09 Jeep Wrangler X with a 3" Rubion Express lift and 35" tires. I purchased the Jeep about a year ago. Mild off roading and tooling around town since than. In the past month though it has been painful. While offroading at Tierra Del Sol I noticed my power steering slowly leaking fluid at the bottom of my gearbox onto the pitman arm. I took it into my mechanic and he had it rebuilt. One week later I was out offroading with my wife and this time it was not a slow leak but a blow out. I am taking the jeep back into the mechanic on Monday.

In the meantime I have some questions...

This only occurred during some mild off roading with the quick disconnects disconnected. I have been offroading many times prior to this and in much harsher conditions with no issues. Could something else be causing the gearbox seal to break? When is it time to add a brace? Are they worth the money? Could another component cause the gearbox to fail?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Steve

jeeeep

Hooked
the stock gear box does not like going full lock to lock on turns with larger tires, if you're steering to full lock change your steering habit or extend the steering bump bolt to keep it from going full turn.

if you're attempting to do donuts in the sand or snow same thing, it'll ruin your steering box

Top Bottom