Transfer case

metalic

I broke my Tcase Friday night climbing a hill. I have an 07 auto and a friend has his sport case out of a 08 manual. Will this bolt up to my auto?

metalic

What will your friend do if you take his case?

Just curious, what broke?

He switched to a rubi case and wants to sell his stock one.
I'm not sure yet what is broke as I'm pulling it later today to investigate. Just checking in case my is messed up too bad.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Middle of hill climb it was like it went into neutral. Shifted case into neutral and now the Tcase won't shift.

Have you checked the bushing on the linkage? It's a small plastic bushing that is a common break. In eddie and coneys pilgrimage to the promise land Moab videos it happens. Check it out. It's a $2 part. Cheaper than a new case.

metalic

It happened late. We're throwing it on the lift in a few hrs. I've had friends with that happen. Would it cause it to pop out of 4low?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked the bushing on the linkage? It's a small plastic bushing that is a common break. In eddie and coneys pilgrimage to the promise land Moab videos it happens. Check it out. It's a $2 part. Cheaper than a new case.

What he said ^^^^

More than likely, you just have a bushing on the linkage that needs to be replaced.

metalic

What he said ^^^^

More than likely, you just have a bushing on the linkage that needs to be replaced.

That will be the first thing that's checked. My 2dr had this issue when we bought it and the dealer fixed it prior to purchase. My question is would that happen while driving? It had been in 4 low for a good hour while we was playing around before it quit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That will be the first thing that's checked. My 2dr had this issue when we bought it and the dealer fixed it prior to purchase. My question is would that happen while driving? It had been in 4 low for a good hour while we was playing around before it quit.

I have literally seen where the bushing in question has dried out and crumbled away. For your purposes, it could have just been a coincidence that it gave way when it did. Either way, I would give it a look as it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to fix than replacing your whole T-case. Also, you should know that there is a lever on the side of the T-case and you can shift it by hand if needed. You will need to pull your front drive shaft to get to it though.

metalic

I have literally seen where the bushing in question has dried out and crumbled away. For your purposes, it could have just been a coincidence that it gave way when it did. Either way, I would give it a look as it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to fix than replacing your whole T-case. Also, you should know that there is a lever on the side of the T-case and you can shift it by hand if needed. You will need to pull your front drive shaft to get to it though.

Thanks
I never would of thought it would of broke just holding it in gear.

I think I should've been more clear and stated that I'm only swapping cases if mines bad. It is going on a lift in a few hours to investigate the issue and if found to be something broke in case I was wondering if my friends would fit.

metalic

The planetary and the ring that's pressed into the case was almost to fall out and had the shifter forks all bound up.

Attachments

• 1459177995040.jpg
    1459177995040.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 72
Top Bottom