ROCKY HORROR ROCKS and MORE!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A few weeks back, Cindy and I went on a quest to visit a few different sites out in the Mojave desert where large rocks had either been caved out or painted to look like ghouls or menacing creatures. Of course, these are actually things we've seen in other places across the country and I thought it would be fun to start a thread where everyone could post up and share the Rocky Horror Rocks, trees and/or other monstrous land features that you've come across. If it's at all possible to include your Jeep in the pics, all the better.

The Visible Man
To kick things off, here are a few older pics that we took of a famous rock monster out in the Alabama Hills near the town of Lone Pine, CA. Back in the day, the rock used to be called "Hot Lips" because it simply had eyes and bright red lips painted on it but since that time, people have added evil eyes and sharp teeth. Today, most people know it as "The Visible Man" rock.
main.php

main.php

The Hills Have Eyes
Just east of the town of Victorville, there's an old granite rock quarry that's home to a set of boulders with faces carved into them. From what I understand, most of them have been there for a while and possibly one or two have added more recent times but above and beyond that, there really isn't much history that I could find out about them. When you're up on the hill where these rock faces can be found, you almost get the feeling that they're looking down at you.
main.php

Tessa saying "You're not going to believe me but, I could swear that there's someone behind me".
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Fish Head Rocks
Crossing through Poison Canyon near the town of Trona, there's a set of rocks jutting out of the ground next to the old highway 178 grade and both eyes and sharp teeth were painted onto them back in the 1930's to make them look like a school of monstrous piranha on the attack. Because of it, they are known as the Fish Head Rocks.
main.php

Run Moby Run!!
main.php

main.php

Trona Turtle
Just on the northern edge of Trona, there lies a rock that's been painted to look like a turtle or tortoise and if it can be considered a monster, it'll be more because of it's size than anything. Certainly, its gentile demeanor and smiling face couldn't possibly hurt a thing.
main.php

This should give you a better idea of just how big the Trona Turtle really is.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Gargoyle of the Hill
We came across this rock monster just by chance on a recent drive home from Moab. It's located near the Nevada and Utah border and stands sentry over a hill that once was the location of a transcontinental airway beacon. Because of its ferocious face and teeth that make it look like a whale ready to bite down on trespassers, Cindy and I decided to call it the Gargoyle of the Hill.
main.php

main.php

Those are just a few samples of the Rocky Horror Rocks we've come across and we'd love to see yours! :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Snoopy Rock
As you make your way up to the Black Rock Desert out on Highway 447, there a large tuffa formation that kind of looks like the cartoon character Snoopy and because of it, someone painted eyes, nose and a mouth on it to highlight the fact.
main.php

attachment.php

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Haha that's awesome Eddie! Would love to visit there. Are you and Cindy going to make some more videos? I think I have watched all of them on you tube like 5 times each, really enjoy them.

Krieger

Great thread! I've been on a hiatus for a bit, but when I saw this thread I remembered our trip to the Desert View Tower and Boulder Park we stumbled across this place while we were out on a day trip to Anza Borrego. The tower was cool but the thing that got my attention was the Boulder Park. And from what I remember it was only a few bucks & we were on our way. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459393867.914795.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459393888.832847.jpg
This is the view from the tower where we met this really cool guy named Dunken and he made Knifes and sold them
from this little table so I had to get one! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459394052.505072.jpg
Here are some shots of the Boulder park. It was such a cool trip.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459394081.233223.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459394095.986076.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459394568.016177.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459394580.428378.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459394594.263161.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459394605.798089.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459394619.649951.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459394643.237268.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Smiley Rock is a trail out in Arizona and it's this rock that gave it its name.
main.php

A cheek to cheek shot of Rubicat and Smiley Rock.
main.php

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Man! I wish I would've seen this thread earlier. There was a 6 foot tall tree stump that someone carved an old man's face into near my house. The property recently sold and the new owners are in the process of building a house, so the stump was removed to make way for their driveway.:naw:

Top Bottom