Factory ordering a JKU tomorrow!

MSmitty

Going tomorrow to order my JK. This will be my 3rd JK but the first I've ordered. I'm thinking 27k out the door. I'm taking off the LSD before ordering but leaving everything else. What do you guys think? Should I try for lower?

Attachments

• 1459543393300.jpg
    1459543393300.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 251

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Going tomorrow to order my JK. This will be my 3rd JK but the first I've ordered. I'm thinking 27k out the door. I'm taking off the LSD before ordering but leaving everything else. What do you guys think? Should I try for lower?

What is your goal? If it's an axle swap I'd get the 3.21s over the 3.73s. Other than that it's a really good price for a JKU.

MSmitty

What is your goal? If it's an axle swap I'd get the 3.21s over the 3.73s. Other than that it's a really good price for a JKU.

No I wouldn't change the axles. I'm putting the AEV 2.5 kit, 35s bumpers and winch. We're moving to Hawaii in about 6 months and it will be our daily driver and used for light trails to beaches.

GraniteCrystal

No I wouldn't change the axles. I'm putting the AEV 2.5 kit, 35s bumpers and winch. We're moving to Hawaii in about 6 months and it will be our daily driver and used for light trails to beaches.

What's the cost difference on doing 3.21 gears? If nothing, do the 3.73s. But if you save some by lowering the gear ratio, I'd take that money and put it toward regearing to 4.55 or 4.88. Good news is you're at sea level which helps with oxygen intake to the engine. But Hawaii still has some pretty steep hills and you may want more than 3.73 with 35s. Someone who has actual experience with those ratios may input though. This is just based on my research as I look to regear.

CarolinaJK

What's the cost difference on doing 3.21 gears? If nothing, do the 3.73s. But if you save some by lowering the gear ratio, I'd take that money and put it toward regearing to 4.55 or 4.88. Good news is you're at sea level which helps with oxygen intake to the engine. But Hawaii still has some pretty steep hills and you may want more than 3.73 with 35s. Someone who has actual experience with those ratios may input though. This is just based on my research as I look to regear.

With 3.73's and hills, you'll definitely want to regear. I live in South Carolina (few and far between with hills), but I travel to West Virginia twice a year. Those two trips alone make me want to regear my JK.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I hate to burst your bubble, but it's not likely that you will break 29k much less 27k. In the end you will most likely end up at invoice (FWP) 30,362 - axel upgrade of 352 - most of the hold back (HB) 904 for 29,100. Don't forget to add back in 2k for tax & title depending on your location = 31,100. I bought my new one 5 weeks ago. Good luck with yours!

Samlautranger

I have test driven a couple of JKUs with 3.73 and 35" tires, auto transmission. The feel sluggish to me, and that is just around flat Indiana. Looking that the gear ratio chart for the 3.6L, you really need 4.1 gears for 35" tires. If keeping the 3.73, just go with 33" tires. I have had $1200 - $2,700 quoted for changing out gears, parts and labor.

In terms of price, I think you would be lucky to get $29,000 out the door, not including sales tax.

MSmitty

Well, not as good as I hoped, but 29k out the door. I'm happy with that. Let the waiting begin!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

Where in Hawaii are you moving to? I should be landing in Hawaii around the second week of June. Hopefully my Jeep doesn't take too long after to get there.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
With 3.73's and hills, you'll definitely want to regear. I live in South Carolina (few and far between with hills), but I travel to West Virginia twice a year. Those two trips alone make me want to regear my JK.

This! I have 35s with 3.73s right now. Everything is corrected with a ProCal. On the highway it's great, even plenty of getup in town on regular roads. Once we hit hills, it's a whole different animal. I should be taking delivery of my 2016 Mojave Sand JKU this week, and ordered it with 3.21 gears because I will definitely not do 35s and 3.73 gears again. I'll either do axle swap (more than likely Rubicon axles while in Hawaii) or maybe even just regear the sport axles depending on the type of wheeling there is on Oahu. I'll eventually replace everything underneath, but will wait till I get back to the mainland for that. Shipping prices are insane to Hawaii, unless you go with 4WPs in Honolulu. They quoted me some decent prices in G2 and Currie axles, but I'll likely wait anyways. Want to check out EVOs new trailing arm system before I do anything drastic underneath. Also, coilovers in a slat rich environment like Hawaii kinda scares me lol.

MSmitty

Where in Hawaii are you moving to? I should be landing in Hawaii around the second week of June. Hopefully my Jeep doesn't take too long after to get there.

We're moving to the Big Island on the Ocean View side. Should be some time in June as well if everything goes as planned.

MSmitty

So what did you end up going with?

Base sport auto with 3.73, took off the lsd. I may just end up going a little smaller on the tires. We'll see.. I'm leaning towards the aev 2.5 kit since I won't be doing heavy wheeling. Going to go ahead and start ordering some basics, front/rear bumpers, lights, winch... I'm leaning towards some tan wheels to match the jk but the only ones I see are steel.. not too sure about the weight of those. I'll post build pics up in this thread along the way. Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Top Bottom