Ultimate Wayalife - How Many Engage Their Kids in their Build Efforts?

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Howdy,

Just curious, how many of you engage your kids in your Jeep build projects?

One of the reasons I bought the Jeep, now, rather than couple years from now, was to specifically be able to engage my 15 year-old son in the process. He's faced some challenges so I wanted something we could bond over, something he could put effort into and get a sense of ownership in it.

The Jeep Wrangler's well-targeted for this. It's the the 4-wheel equivalent of a Harley Davidson. Mods, kits, lifestyle to support every dream and budget imaginable. There's electrical (e.g. CBs, lights), decorative (trim), mechanical (suspension, bumpers, tires), and so on. 'Can' you do this sort of thing on other vehicles, such as a pick-up? Sure, but in my view none so directly support doing so.

So, over the course of this season, some initial projects we'll be doing include:

• Leveling Kit
  • Armor
  • Exhaust

So what about you?
Son, daughter?
Ages?
Projects?

:)

NV375

Howdy,

Just curious, how many of you engage your kids in your Jeep build projects?

One of the reasons I bought the Jeep, now, rather than couple years from now, was to specifically be able to engage my 15 year-old son in the process. He's faced some challenges so I wanted something we could bond over, something he could put effort into and get a sense of ownership in it.

The Jeep Wrangler's well-targeted for this. It's the the 4-wheel equivalent of a Harley Davidson. Mods, kits, lifestyle to support every dream and budget imaginable. There's electrical (e.g. CBs, lights), decorative (trim), mechanical (suspension, bumpers, tires), and so on. 'Can' you do this sort of thing on other vehicles, such as a pick-up? Sure, but in my view none so directly support doing so.

So, over the course of this season, some initial projects we'll be doing include:

• Leveling Kit
  • Armor
  • Exhaust

So what about you?
Son, daughter?
Ages?
Projects?

:)

Son now 18 has helped me with the first suspension and a few other things on my '14 JKUR. Also the going out and using the jeep is part of the process.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Son now 18 has helped me with the first suspension and a few other things on my '14 JKUR. Also the going out and using the jeep is part of the process.

My first outing was with my daughter. Last week, took my son out for his first time. He was really enjoying himself. I did note a few times it got awfully quiet in the passenger seat, when the jeep started approach 45 deg leans or dips :). Said, "I really had fun today. I hope we do this again!" Well, I think it's safe to say, having just bought a jeep, he'll get to do it at least once or twice more ;).

metalic

My youngest is 10 and helps out. He also enjoys driving while wheeling. This is my boy driving up a dry rocky creek bed.

Attachments

• 1459702940433.jpg
    1459702940433.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 166

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The wife and I don't have any kids but we do have nieces and nephews. I try to get them involved anytime I'm workin on the jeep and anything else. Our two oldest nephews know how to do basic maintenance and some work. My oldest nephew was living with us for a bit and he helped me swap the tranny in my burban, we also swapped the tranny in his Tahoe when it went out. I was right there with him but made him do most of it so he would learn. He done intake gaskets on it a while back by himself with a few phone calls to me.

My wife's nephew helps quite a bit and knows quite a bit now. It's funny when he gets to go wheelin with us and he knows more on people's jeeps than they do.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
My youngest is 10 and helps out. He also enjoys driving while wheeling. This is my boy driving up a dry rocky creek bed.

Love the pic, thanks for sharing. This year my son starts driving. Jeep will definitely be part of it.

WJCO

Meme King
Absolutely. Our oldest is 5 but I always try to involve them with car and home projects. I want them to learn as much as they can so when they're older they can do skills themselves and not have to pay someone else. We also all have fun in the process.

Jaydoc1

I'm going to be honest, this JK is a learning experience for ME. It's my third Wrangler but the first one that I've ever done any wrenching on myself. I've left the suspension and all the armor to Trail Jeeps but did the EVO Protek skids, the LOD front bumper and Warn Powerplant install, and the fender chop myself (thanks in every way to the write-ups on Project JK). I've had my girls (10 and 11) and my wife helping me with all of them. image-42473572.jpg Right here is where my wife asked if I was qualified to do this. (No. No I'm not.) image-3046086388.jpg Then she jumped right in.

image-1367392610.jpg

image-456409416.jpg

Both of the girls learned to drive in the JK in Moab. So it's definitely a huge deal for me and my family.

Last edited:

Labricon

Caught the Bug
My sons are 23 and 20. Eldest was in snugly on my chest for ATV rides at 4 months and my younger son started same way on a snowmobile at 2 months...since then we have been on water and downhill skis, snowmobiles etc including projects around home and my parents cottage and they have always participated. It's been great fun!

BamBamDeer

My Girls....17 and 10 help with every step. My 17yo checks the fluid levels for me. My 10yo is learning and she can check the tire pressure.

They Both Like Driving....

Attachments

• 1459715724383.jpg
    1459715724383.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 1459715742962.jpg
    1459715742962.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 104

Eezybreezy08

I have 3 kids that can actually do something right now. The girl and the middle age boy actually likes to help more than the oldest. But the oldest likes the trails the most

USMC Wrangler

4 kiddos here and they all help to some extent. All of us enjoy being out in the Jeep and my middle two kids named it Spider. Here are some shots of my 10 year old helping out...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459721978.887735.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459722010.538611.jpg

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Glad I asked the question. I've gotten a kick out of every one of you. Glad to see kids' involvement is so broad:)

professorkx

yup, my son's have always loved to design and fabricate. my youngest is now 26, and we are converting his CJ5 to a king coil overs with 3 link in the front and 4 link in the rear. next winter, we are swapping a V8 into my oldest sons 2007 JK. doing this with the boys is what makes it so much fun...

pop2tu

My youngest son 16 helped install my lift kit. 20160326_114114.jpg
My oldest has no desire, that is what makes them unique!

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Not yet since he just turned 5 years old a couple of weeks ago, but he is interested already!! Here is his drawing of RubySky:

12963482_10153530838931305_879969140444571690_n.jpg

He is excited about the new build, let me tell ya. Dad proud.

TwistedJK

My family is ALWAYS involved, in one way or another, with our jeep. My son (4 yrs old) likes to hand me tools while I'm working on the jeep and I let him help with simple stuff. Both of my kids love off-roading. One of the main reasons we've become so involved, and continue to do so, with the jeep lifestyle is because of the family friendly environment. I know there are asshats out there (I may even be one lol), but everyone I've met from here has been great.

wave2me

My son is Autistic and very much dislikes change. What better tool for him to learn to except change. Helping with upgrades with the YJ and explaining the change that will take place. We have learned together so much from owning a jeep and dealing with G's challenges that it goes way beyond just working on them.

Very enjoyable read this thread is, well dun jtpedersen [emoji111]🏻️

Top Bottom