On Board Air or CO2

whytiptoe

Are we getting away from the onboard systems and just going with the CO2 systems? What's the pro con list look like with each system? Many thanks for the help out there in this endeavor.

Peak

CO2 Pros
-You can build a system for cheap
-Very Fast
-can run air tools

CO2 Cons
-$$$ to refill
-will eventually run out
-big in size

OBA Pros
-Unlimited air
-Small
-lockers

OBA Cons
-Slower than CO2
-a good system isn't cheap
-can't run tools without a storage tank

Evil

Peak just summed it up perfectly.

It really depends on what you want it for. I am happy with my ARB/EVO OBA system, it serves its purpose of filling up deflated tires and inner tubes at the river or in the snow. I don't run air tools on the trails so I'm good with this set up.

Ddays

Hooked
I weighed both systems a while ago & ended up going with the OBA. I mounted an ARB twin under the passenger seat. It's out of the way and out of the elements so it should last as long as the vehicle. Finding a place for the CO2 tank that's out of the way means you probably will end up mounting on a roll bar, which is ok, but I didn't want to run exposed air hoses that could get snagged inadvertently. The compressor's just too convenient & I didn't want to chance running out of air either - more than likely because I forgot to fill the damn tank.

TrailRidden

I Have to vote for on board air. I've owned the ARB dual compressor for a couple years now. The fact you have unlimited air is great. Yes the upfront cost is large but well worth it in the long run imo. Throw a tank on for air tools and your set.

Warebear

CO2 Pros
-You can build a system for cheap
-Very Fast
-can run air tools

CO2 Cons
-$$$ to refill
-will eventually run out
-big in size

OBA Pros
-Unlimited air
-Small
-lockers

OBA Cons
-Slower than CO2
-a good system isn't cheap
-can't run tools without a storage tank

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462464224.590539.jpg

I'd like to have both. A twin arb set up, and one of those big bottles on the back of the roll bar. What's a good brand for the CO2?

Peak

View attachment 201811

I'd like to have both. A twin arb set up, and one of those big bottles on the back of the roll bar. What's a good brand for the CO2?

I carried both for a while, now my CO2 cylinder sits in my garage. Make your own set up. It would be just as good as a powertank. There's a few write ups on here somewhere.

professorkx

I weighed both systems a while ago & ended up going with the OBA. I mounted an ARB twin under the passenger seat. It's out of the way and out of the elements so it should last as long as the vehicle. Finding a place for the CO2 tank that's out of the way means you probably will end up mounting on a roll bar, which is ok, but I didn't want to run exposed air hoses that could get snagged inadvertently. The compressor's just too convenient & I didn't want to chance running out of air either - more than likely because I forgot to fill the damn tank.

Went through the same process late last year. CO2 tank storage and the hassle of refilling became the deciding factors. ARB under the hood, and will be adding small air tank inside the frame to run air tools (mainly impact) in short bursts. Don't think it would run an air drill without pausing to recover, but I've seen too many times battery tools are not fully charged when they are needed, so we wait while they get enough juice to use. I also want to be able to clean off paint/mud/debris when trail welding is needed, as bare metal is so much easier to weld...

Brute

Hooked
An ARB twin is hard to beat...go as big a compressor as you can, especially if you go to 37's or larger to shorten air up time and not to exceed duty cycle limits (or you'll burn them up)...you can always add a tank to the system down the road for tools (pneumatic air gun is nice for changing tires)...

Jeep2010

So everyone is saying ARB, does no one like Viair?

I have the arb for my lockers but a 2-on-2 viair for my on board and I love it! Mounted out of the way, supplies good air and I have ran my impact off it before and works really well. Yeah I have to wait sometimes but it's fine. I have it mounted right in front of my engine.

Jackal01

I had the Viair 450C with 2.5g tank. I tried to air up four 32" tires from 15psi and it took 25 minutes to get to 30psi. It then took another 30 minutes to do my friends, same specs. That was in my grand Cherokee a few years ago.

I have the ARB twin in my JKU and it smokes the Viair. One of the best investments thus far.

Last edited:

GoldenJK

Have an ARB single that works great for my 34" tires. Takes 10-15 minutes to air up all 4 tires. Mounted under hood with a quick connect mounted on the front bumper. Super easy to use.
But I'm going to 37s. The single is probably too small so a swap to a double might be needed.
CO2 storage is an issue plus risk of theft when the top is off.

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
15lb. Power tank....costs me 20bucks to fill at my local weld shop. I get 4rounds on 37s. Can fill a tire in 30seconds

There is a bracket that the tank sits in out of the way on the backside of the roll bar.

Anything can be stolen when the top is off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom