How to spend my money?

LearJeff

So, to be right up front about it, I'm a total newbie when it comes to Jeeps. I've wanted one for a long time but never pulled the trigger. However, a couple of weeks ago, I finally bought one and I love it! As with most things in life, I usually dive right into the deep end long before I actually know how to swim. And so, against the advice of several friends, I bought a 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock (White 2 dr, auto...long story) but, like I said, I love it. But I always knew I would want to "enhance" whatever Jeep I bought. So what I was hoping to achieve here was to gather opinions and info from people much more knowledgeable than I am regarding what mods to do first, but with a slight variation. I am curious: what recommendations would everyone have with graduated dollar amounts? In other words, to start with, what would you do with your first $500? After that, what about the next $1,000? The next $1,500? The next $2,000? And finally, the next (and final...at least for a while) $1,000? If I've done my math correctly, that's a total budget of $6,000, and let's say spread over a 6 month period. The Jeep is my daily driver (though my commute is only about 5 miles round trip and only about 2-3 times per week) but I also want to take it wheeling on occasion, hopefully on some Wayalife adventures. Is an additional $6,000 in mods to a 2016 Rubicon remotely enough of a budget to consider tagging along or am I pipe dreaming? If so, better I should find out sooner rather than later. Depending on the number of tips and suggestions I get, I am contemplating starting a "build" thread wherein I incorporate the feedback I get here. I dunno, sounds pretty cool to me. However, I've belonged to many other car clubs and have a lot of experience being a new guy on the forums, so maybe it's not as cool as I think! Anyway, there you have it guys and gals. I am sincerely looking for your input but I also humbly submit myself to your ridicule as well! Thanks everyone.

WJCO

Meme King
First you need to decide what you want, not what we want. It gets expensive quick. If you're planning on getting off-road, larger tires are normally the first mod, but that requires lift and can require other things. Also with a 2016 you need to be careful that you don't put your warranty at risk. Build threads are cool and you'll notice they take place over years, it's not a dream build in a couple posts. Most important, enjoy your Jeep.

LearJeff

Definitely enjoying it so far! As far as what I want to do, I guess I could sum it up by saying "as much as I can for as little as possible!" Now there's an original thought, huh? But I am so new to this scene I don't even know what questions to ask or how stupid they're gonna sound. For instance, I do want bigger tires. But I'm wondering if that automatically means a lift? Would I also need to buy new rims? Would I need to ditch my factory fenders? I am doing lots of research on my own but also hoping to hear advice from people who have already been there, done that. Scary about the warranty possibly being at risk... Thanks for the heads up for sure! I really appreciate it.

Mtank16

First of all you have a Rubicon Hardrock. It is already a capable Jeep. I would say the first decision are you going to build a trail rig vs an overland rig. Trail would be lift and tires. Overland would be roof rack for your camping gear, winch to get you out just in case, and other safety gear. As said before, gets expensive fast but most importantly enjoy your Jeep.

Jeepnoub

As a guy who has bought a lot of cars/motorcycles, do a ton of research, build a list, and just keep adding to the list over a 6 month period. I wouldn't do anything over $100 for the first 6 months. I've made the mistake a spending a ton of money on parts and at the end of the day wasn't exactly what I wanted. Nothing like buyers remorse on a $700 shock when I wanted to get the $1200.

As wjco suggested, think about the warranty and enjoy the jeep first. I'm in a similar place as you, and have had my online cart filled with credit card info put in several times.

lots of great info here. Just be patient your jeep isn't going anywhere.

LearJeff

Really, really good advice guys. Both the "be patient" part and the overland vs trail rig decision. I'm thinking I'll take the foot off the gas for a while and keep researching and day dreaming. (My wife would probably thank y'all, too!$$$)

Mtank16

Good decision. Once you start upgrading it takes a lot of will power to stop. It's a sickness in a good way but a bad way for your wallet. I have a 2016 JKUR and went the overland rig. Wife Ok'd buying the Jeep as long as we go camping. I've bought the front bumper, winch, Gobi roof rack and some RockHard armor underneath, along with a long list like the rest. Spend the extra time doing research to make sure it fits all together or you'll end up with a bunch of extra parts. Good luck.

LearJeff

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of knowledge I was hoping for. I definitely posed my initial question incorrectly but you guys obviously knew (from experience) what I needed to hear. Sincere thank you's all around.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My suggestion is always recovery. I have a Hard Rock as well and went with winch, skids and diff covers first. Add in straps, shackles, snatch block etc and you're pretty much there. You have a very capable jeep as is, I'd just suggest some equipment to keep you protected and get you out of a tough spot. Next I went with a leveling kit to give me that extra bit of ground clearance and a better stance but kept stock wheels and tires. But it all kind of depends on what you want to use the Jeep for. 6k will definitely get you some good shit. But beware, that 6k turns in to 12 really quick. And as far as WAL runs, keep an ear out for a run that suits you or plan a small one and ask guys here if they want to go. WAL is just as much about running a stock sport as it is a built rig on 60's. I look forward to seeing which route you go with your Jeep.

JeepJeep75

Definitely do a LOT of research on whatever you have your eye on. My first mod was upgrading the headlights. After reading everything I could find about all the different lights available, I made my choice. Be very careful you don't get wrapped up in marketing hype. Companies like Terraflex have a ton of somewhat humorous advertising videos on the Tube, but that doesn't mean they have good quality parts. Same with Smittybuilt, lots of adverts, and all the local shops pedal their products, but that doesn't make them great. Just keep in mind that most, not all shops will push the stuff that makes the shop money. Spend some time here on WAL and all of this will become clear. Do your research. If you decide on a bumper, google everything you can about it, good, bad, ugly, broken, problems, put all of these words in front of the brand you want and see what comes up. Good quality parts for these jeeps are not cheap, so spend a bit of time learning about said parts BEFORE you buy them. If you ask about whatever it is your interested in here on WAL, you will get very honest answers. Sometimes it's not what you'll want to hear either, but remember, you asked, and you will get honest opinions, good and bad. The most important thing though, it's your money, your jeep. Build it the way you want it.

Be weird. Don't do anything except it enjoy it as is.
Save your money until you have enough to pay for all the mods you want.

herb04

someone once told me and Ive heard it many times go out and get some dirt on the tires and decide what needs upgraded. decide what kind of wheeling you want to do rocks, trails, overland etc. there are lots of things to upgrade, but you need to decide whats A in your budget and B your needs. I have had my TJ for a year and have done a few small things and I am just now looking into a new rear axle. no need to rush and waste money do it right the first time or your 6k could be a waste.

Eezybreezy08

Most folks like to put on lift and tires first. Depending on tire size you will probably also have to regear. Depending on lift size will also tell you what else you might need to buy to go with the lift. For instance, you have a 2 dr. Any lift 3" and up you will have to have front lower control arms, rear upper control arms, also draglink flip kit is suggested instead of drop pitman arm, change out front and rear drive shafts, and depending on what lift you go with, you might have to buy shocks too. Now anything 2.5 and under you probably won't need all that. Just do your research. There is plenty of info on this forum. Don't limit yourself to a certain price cause it's gonna keep getting bigger and bigger. Have patience. Get what you need first and then add the little things that you might want. Have fun with it

Speeddmn

As others have said, enjoy it first. Since you asked what is what, how is how, etc here is a quick off the top of my head list and rough cost.

Wheels/tire combo: 330 x 5 for tires is 1650 wheels figure 200 each so that is another 1k (2650)
Can save 800 bucks just by re-using your current wheels and buying spidertrax wheel spacers.
Winch: 500-1200, depends on size and brand. Lower end Warn 8000 would be 499 or so, top end power plant is 1800 ish... Zeon 10s is roughly 1200
Lift: EVO 3inch Enforcer with shocks would be 1500 or so.
Front drive shaft in the 1310 series will be 450-500 roughly.
CB will be 150 with all items needed.
Money saved from wheels could be used for Trucklite headlights, that's 400 roughly.

That covers your 6 grand budget. Shop around, ask questions. You might not need the better CB, but being cheap is expensive in the end. Also it's not said enough around here, be careful selecting the companies you spend your money on. Just because they can advertise doesn't mean they can back up their product.

$6,000 is a great budget to start with. Like everyone has already said take it out and play with it as is. Stock Rubicons will do a lot. Take your time and decide what you want on your jeep. I have been building mine in my head for over a year since I sold my TJ. I'm waiting on my Hard Rock to come in. once its here I will take another year or so to refine my build while I pay down on my loan. I couldn't believe how capable a stock Rubi is. Nice thing with the HR is the bumpers are already pretty tough.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
So, to be right up front about it, I'm a total newbie when it comes to Jeeps. I've wanted one for a long time but never pulled the trigger. However, a couple of weeks ago, I finally bought one and I love it! As with most things in life, I usually dive right into the deep end long before I actually know how to swim. And so, against the advice of several friends, I bought a 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock (White 2 dr, auto...long story) but, like I said, I love it. But I always knew I would want to "enhance" whatever Jeep I bought. So what I was hoping to achieve here was to gather opinions and info from people much more knowledgeable than I am regarding what mods to do first, but with a slight variation. I am curious: what recommendations would everyone have with graduated dollar amounts? In other words, to start with, what would you do with your first $500? After that, what about the next $1,000? The next $1,500? The next $2,000? And finally, the next (and final...at least for a while) $1,000? If I've done my math correctly, that's a total budget of $6,000, and let's say spread over a 6 month period. The Jeep is my daily driver (though my commute is only about 5 miles round trip and only about 2-3 times per week) but I also want to take it wheeling on occasion, hopefully on some Wayalife adventures. Is an additional $6,000 in mods to a 2016 Rubicon remotely enough of a budget to consider tagging along or am I pipe dreaming? If so, better I should find out sooner rather than later. Depending on the number of tips and suggestions I get, I am contemplating starting a "build" thread wherein I incorporate the feedback I get here. I dunno, sounds pretty cool to me. However, I've belonged to many other car clubs and have a lot of experience being a new guy on the forums, so maybe it's not as cool as I think! Anyway, there you have it guys and gals. I am sincerely looking for your input but I also humbly submit myself to your ridicule as well! Thanks everyone.

Jeff,

You and I are almost in the same boat. I have wanted to get into off-roading for over 20 years, finally pulled the trigger this year with a 2016 JKUR, but I had also been saving up for a few years. My build, without the price of the Rubicon itself, is around $55k. So if you are interested in learning what I have learned, including the pitfalls involved, just hit me up and we can discuss. I have learned so much from this forum, so you are in the right place. They are SUPER helpful on here, just don't argue with them with ignorance, and you will be fine.

I must say that I feel confident that you will get good info, just understanding that upgrading a Jeep is not cheap and that if you proceed by trying to save money, you will end up spending more money in the long run. It is always best to get it right the first time. The big question really is, what size tires do you want to end up with and work towards that goal.

Please send me a PM if you want more information. Good luck and enjoy that Rubicon!!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
As others have said, enjoy it first. Since you asked what is what, how is how, etc here is a quick off the top of my head list and rough cost.

Wheels/tire combo: 330 x 5 for tires is 1650 wheels figure 200 each so that is another 1k (2650)
Can save 800 bucks just by re-using your current wheels and buying spidertrax wheel spacers.
Winch: 500-1200, depends on size and brand. Lower end Warn 8000 would be 499 or so, top end power plant is 1800 ish... Zeon 10s is roughly 1200
Lift: EVO 3inch Enforcer with shocks would be 1500 or so.
Front drive shaft in the 1310 series will be 450-500 roughly.
CB will be 150 with all items needed.
Money saved from wheels could be used for Trucklite headlights, that's 400 roughly.

That covers your 6 grand budget. Shop around, ask questions. You might not need the better CB, but being cheap is expensive in the end. Also it's not said enough around here, be careful selecting the companies you spend your money on. Just because they can advertise doesn't mean they can back up their product.

Your list is pretty complete but some of the prices are off. Enforcer will be 1500 without shocks and you'll also need a draglink flip kit, so with Rancho 9000s, we're talking $2300. Also, I can't find a warn 8000 for anythinh less than $575, but now I'm just nitpicking. Anyway, I agree with all your items.:thumb:

LearJeff

Holy guacamole did I come to the right place! I ended up finding out about WAL by randomly searching YouTube for Jeep Off-roading videos. Then I came across the incredible documentaries Eddie and Cindy made/make and I was instantly and completely hooked! And considering this was my first post, I can honestly say I hit the jackpot with you guys and Wayalife. Thanks for all the great information, insights, cautionary tales and wisdom. This is going to be a lot to absorb but it's going to be SO much damn fun. Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you posted! (Can't wait to meet a bunch of Wayalifers in person) P.S. Already purchased my window decal, a few others and my WAL tee shirt. Total newbie move, I know but what the hell!

WJCO

Meme King
Holy guacamole did I come to the right place! I ended up finding out about WAL by randomly searching YouTube for Jeep Off-roading videos. Then I came across the incredible documentaries Eddie and Cindy made/make and I was instantly and completely hooked! And considering this was my first post, I can honestly say I hit the jackpot with you guys and Wayalife. Thanks for all the great information, insights, cautionary tales and wisdom. This is going to be a lot to absorb but it's going to be SO much damn fun. Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you posted! (Can't wait to meet a bunch of Wayalifers in person) P.S. Already purchased my window decal, a few others and my WAL tee shirt. Total newbie move, I know but what the hell!

Welcome aboard. This is a badass forum. Make sure you check out the full length YouTube videos too. Great vids!

WJCO

Meme King
Also, this place will give you good information on what works and what doesn't. They won't just tell you what you want to hear. If you don't like truth, then wrong forum.

Top Bottom