coilovers

BEE'S TWIN

http://theshockguy.com/piggyback_2_0.html

I was thinking about upgrading to some coil overs and saw these. I don't have any experience with coil overs yet and saw a lot of fellow jeepers on here run them. Are they a pain to install? Are they really that beneficial towards on road and off road daily driver? How much travel should I go with, with a 4.5 inch lift?

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Coilovers will change your offroad experience for the good, period. They may require mods to install. EVO's kit are true bolt ons as the bracketry to mount them installs without the need to cut or weld. As it relates to these shocks? Dunno. If you are going to put the coin for coilovers, for a little more your better off with Kings, because of customer service and ability to adjust them. Just my:twocents:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
http://theshockguy.com/piggyback_2_0.html

I was thinking about upgrading to some coil overs and saw these. I don't have any experience with coil overs yet and saw a lot of fellow jeepers on here run them. Are they a pain to install? Are they really that beneficial towards on road and off road daily driver? How much travel should I go with, with a 4.5 inch lift?

Did you mean to post this up in the TJ Tech Forum? Because, I would be cautious about running just any ol' coil over system especially on a TJ that's a daily driver as you will more than likely find that your ON ROAD handling will suffer significantly. EVO has spent a lot of time and money developing their coil overs for the JK so that they can run and handle exceptionally well on and off pavement.

BEE'S TWIN

Did you mean to post this up in the TJ Tech Forum? Because, I would be cautious about running just any ol' coil over system especially on a TJ that's a daily driver as you will more than likely find that your ON ROAD handling will suffer significantly. EVO has spent a lot of time and money developing their coil overs for the JK so that they can run and handle exceptionally well on and off pavement.

Yes it was supposed to be on the TJ Tech Forum. My bad. I just ran into a guy over the weekend who had a 5 inch lift with coil overs and he said it was the best thing he ever did. He gets amazing on and off road ride. I just thought I would ask before going for it.

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it was supposed to be on the TJ Tech Forum. My bad. I just ran into a guy over the weekend who had a 5 inch lift with coil overs and he said it was the best thing he ever did. He gets amazing on and off road ride. I just thought I would ask before going for it.

Thanks

Well, not saying that it can't be done and if he's happy with what he has, you might want to consider it. All I'm saying is that you should be careful about just installing any ol' coil over system.

BEE'S TWIN

Ok thank you. After watching all your videos with Moby having coil overs and everyone else made me want hem. But it sounds like I will stay with the 4 link rear and radius arms in the front with regular coil springs for now.

Thanks Eddie

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Coilovers will change your offroad experience for the good, period. They may require mods to install. EVO's kit are true bolt ons as the bracketry to mount them installs without the need to cut or weld. As it relates to these shocks? Dunno. If you are going to put the coin for coilovers, for a little more your better off with Kings, because of customer service and ability to adjust them. Just my:twocents:

There is a lot of cutting involved in the EVO bolt on install! No welding though.

Moabrubi

Coilovers may look cool, but they take a lot of work to get right on a TJ. You need to know what you are doing when tuning them. Also, if you are running less then 12" of travel there aren't really any benefits for you average Jeeper. Take a look at what the Savvy LJ did in the KOH Everyman Challenge with standard 4" coils and tuned shocks. It beat a bunch of rigs with coilovers and it even had smaller tires.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Coilovers may look cool, but they take a lot of work to get right on a TJ. You need to know what you are doing when tuning them. Also, if you are running less then 12" of travel there aren't really any benefits for you average Jeeper. Take a look at what the Savvy LJ did in the KOH Everyman Challenge with standard 4" coils and tuned shocks. It beat a bunch of rigs with coilovers and it even had smaller tires.

Not true, coilovers are not legal in the stock class.

BEE'S TWIN

Here is a picture of how the front mount kit will set you up.

Here is a picture of the rear kit

By staying with the 12" coilovers you will be able to keep everything under the tub of the jeep.

coilover1.jpg coilover2.jpg

What do you think? This is brackets shocks springs and all hardware from davesoffroadsupply.com.. $2150

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a picture of how the front mount kit will set you up.

Here is a picture of the rear kit

By staying with the 12" coilovers you will be able to keep everything under the tub of the jeep.

What do you think? This is brackets shocks springs and all hardware from davesoffroadsupply.com.. $2150

How tall will you need to set your ride in order to make all this work?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
He said I will be fine with my 4 inch LA that I would be fine... Is that true?

I don't know, probably. But, that doesn't really answer the question of how tall your ride will have to be in order to make it all work. The reason why a lot of TJ coil over kits cut into the tub or even out the hood is to help keep your final ride height down lower to give you a lower COG.

BEE'S TWIN

Here is the reply:

Yes but what he isn't taking into consideration is that a lot of Project-JK guys are also running 14"-16" travel coilovers. So they have 2-4" more of shock to fit on the rig. Most 4" lift kits for a TJ use a 10"-12" travel shock, you are going to be running a shock around the same length as that.

You will also have some adjustment in the axle side shock mount. Mount the lower side shock mount on the backside of the axle as low as you can and you gain 2+" of room for your shock than you would if you did the shock mount on top of the axle tube.

Thanks!

David Williamson Jr.
5955 Sullivan Trail
Nazareth, PA 18064
484-554-3584
www.davesoffroadsupply.com

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the reply:

Yes but what he isn't taking into consideration is that a lot of Project-JK guys are also running 14"-16" travel coilovers. So they have 2-4" more of shock to fit on the rig. Most 4" lift kits for a TJ use a 10"-12" travel shock, you are going to be running a shock around the same length as that.

No, this is NOT correct. We are running 12" coil overs on Moby and that isn't even relavent as Moby is a JK. I am specifically inquiring about your TJ and all I'm asking for is what your final minimum ride height will "need" to be? This not a trick question and there's nothing for me to take into consideration. So far, this guy still hasn't told you - I wonder why that is?

You will also have some adjustment in the axle side shock mount. Mount the lower side shock mount on the backside of the axle as low as you can and you gain 2+" of room for your shock than you would if you did the shock mount on top of the axle tube.

There is a reason why good coil over kits do what they can to get the lower mount relocated higher up if not place them on top of the axle. To purposefully mount them as low as you can makes no sense to me but, that's just me.

BEE'S TWIN

I just talked to Jason at Off Road Evolution and i think I am going to go the way he was saying. It sounds like they do TJ coilover conversions all the time.

Sorry to make this such a big deal.

Thanks You

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just talked to Jason at Off Road Evolution and i think I am going to go the way he was saying. It sounds like they do TJ coilover conversions all the time.

Sorry to make this such a big deal.

Thanks You

:cheesy: It's no big deal to me and if anything, I was sincerely interested in knowing as I had not seen the kit above before. Just wierd that you couldn't get a simple 4" or 6" or what have you answer out of him. :idontknow:

BEE'S TWIN

Ya nothing out of him. :eek:
He just said not to worry it will work.
ORE had to say this:
We do may coilover conversions on the Jeep TJ using the Gen Right Offroad kits. Gen Right has the front and rear Jeep TJ coilover conversion kits available and as I mentioned we install them very often.
Coilovers are fine for daily driven vehicles, as you may know many of the EVO MFG suspension kits are coilover kits and installed on customer vehicles on a weekly basis.

So I think I will go with that

Top Bottom