Light bars - Really needed???

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I am looking for your experienced based opinions about light bars.

My Trucklites work really well on their own. I have my stock fog lights mounted in my ShrockWorks bumper which do an okay job of lighting up my lower field of view, but not well enough that I would feel comfortable off-roading at night with this set-up. I have my rock lights, but they are going to help spotters, not my vision of the trail. I don't have a light bar and I'm on the fence about getting one.

To those who know from experience. Do you really feel that your light bar/s really give you the added light you need? I ask this only because I keep seeing Jeeps that run two or three light bars. That makes me think that they are using more than 1 light bar to get the light output they are really looking for OR they are just installing them to make their Jeep look more "cool."

Another question is how often do you really use the light bar?

Thanks,
Matt

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you wheel alone or are the leader of a group, the only thing they're good for is BLINDING THE HELL out of the guy in front of you.

That being said, I lead runs at night all the time (never by choice mind you) and I've yet to feel the "need" for one.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I do not understand the ones that need two or even three. I'm old school and run my KC's on the pillar.

AND the can be expensive.

RockyJk

I had a 20" on the front bumper and used it once to setup my tent at the dunes besides that it just looked cool lol

Trail JK

Rarely will you use a light bar unless you do a lot of night runs where there are no jeeps in front of you. Light bars will blind your spotter and are really only used if you are leading or alone on a trail at night. I've used mine once or twice and it wasn't really needed but kinda nice.

JAGS

Hooked
Unless you wheel alone or are the leader of a group, the only thing they're good for is BLINDING THE HELL out of the guy in front of you.

That being said, I lead runs at night all the time (never by choice mind you) and I've yet to feel the "need" for one.

Weird. Lol

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461031117.696110.jpg

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

JeepPeeps

I have a 10" KC on the winch and a 20" below the hood line and HID's on the piller

I always wheel at night and they really help but like the others say... Only if you're alone or in front, when we go with others we turn them off... They are just to bright

RedRum

Not even a little bit but they are still awesome lol ... I use mine to setup camp, it's actually perfect because it's high enough that there are no shadows

WJCO

Meme King

My Trucklites work really well on their own. I have my stock fog lights mounted in my ShrockWorks bumper which do an okay job of lighting up my lower field of view, but not well enough that I would feel comfortable off-roading at night with this set-up. I have my rock lights, but they are going to help spotters, not my vision of the trail. I don't have a light bar and I'm on the fence about getting one.

To those who know from experience. Do you really feel that your light bar/s really give you the added light you need? I ask this only because I keep seeing Jeeps that run two or three light bars. That makes me think that they are using more than 1 light bar to get the light output they are really looking for OR they are just installing them to make their Jeep look more "cool."

Thanks,
Matt

For the most part, multiple light bars are for looks. However, my light bar on the roof is a great flood light and hits the sides views of the Jeep great. My pillar spots work awesome for distance. My spots are rigid but my light bar is eyourlife (cheap). I couldn't be happier. I did primarily buy them for looks, but also knew additional light wouldn't hurt. My build thread has some pics with the lights on. Even a before and after regarding the light bar. See post 12 and post 60: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?31128-WJCO-s-Build-Thread-1999-WJ . I truthfully don't use it much though. Maybe more this year hopefully.

JeepPeeps

One thing I noticed is it helps me to see the shadows, that's why I put them low

I rode with someone who had them high and at least to me it was harder to see the terrain

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the quick inputs everyone!

I'm probably going to end up replacing my fog lights with something brighter that will augment my headlight lights on the trail.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the quick inputs everyone!

I'm probably going to end up replacing my fog lights with something brighter that will augment my headlight lights on the trail.

Just buy the light bar. You know you want to. :D

EDIT: Truthfully, the rigid spots work really well without a full light bar.

Journeyman

Thanks,
Matt

I'm pretty sure you've already answered your own question! Sounds like you want one, but don't really need one. I hear they make a shit ton of noise also at hwy speeds [emoji107]🏼

I personally would love one for my setup. But that's only because my gf and I always seem to be in the desert heading back in cruising down a wash and there's always a surprise just outside my light range that's at the end of a smooth section where the speed has started to pick up.
I could just slow down a bit! But that's boring [emoji33]

WJCO

Meme King
I'm pretty sure you've already answered your own question! Sounds like you want one, but don't really need one. I hear they make a shit ton of noise also at hwy speeds [emoji107]

I personally would love one for my setup. But that's only because my gf and I always seem to be in the desert heading back in cruising down a wash and there's always a surprise just outside my light range that's at the end of a smooth section where the speed has started to pick up.
I could just slow down a bit! But that's boring [emoji33]

Lol. I got lucky on this one. I have no whining noise. I do get a rumble from it at highway speeds but it's tolerable. I've heard from many people that they can really sing.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I put the Rigid dually spots on my A pillars and they are super bright. I can't really see the need for much more light. But I do feel that floods down low, like in the fog light position, would be more appropriate for the trails....as long as no one is in front of you. I'm still half blind just from adjusting mine. Haha

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I put the Rigid dually spots on my A pillars and they are super bright. I can't really see the need for much more light. But I do feel that floods down low, like in the fog light position, would be more appropriate for the trails....as long as no one is in front of you. I'm still half blind just from adjusting mine. Haha

I think this is the path I'm going to go down.

Thanks!

Top Bottom