Here's my old 1953 M38A1

p38

Caught the Bug
IMG_0611.jpg
This is my 1953 M38A1 as it looked 2 years ago

IMG_2403.jpg
This what it looks like now.

BdugJK

Wow that is nice! Going to have to show my dad the picture, maybe get him to do a little more to his old willys!

p38

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. I did elaborate a bit when i posted the pictures in the pictures and videos forum.
So here's the rest of the story:

Dad gave me the jeep when I was in high school. The date of delivery on the data plate is 4 - 1953, same as my birthday. Way to go dad! It was stock Military 24 volts with snorkel and exhaust extension. I drove it to school, (got it stuck in the river), we took it hunting, he used it to haul firewood, he and mom went on drives. For the next 40 years it had run time, and it had down time. It ended up parked in a shed. Two years ago I pulled it out, got it running and took my wife for a ride. It popped out of second on a downhill and she got scared. "You've got to fix that - it's dangerous", said she. "Yes dear", said I. "Will it take long, is it a big deal?" "No dear, a simple tranny swap should do it."
Out came the tools, out came the beer, out went the plan. I honestly did have a rebuilt T90 - honest! With an overdrive! The F head gave way to a V6 which fell victim to a few beers and a "Why mess with a V6 - just put a V8 in it?" "Hell yes - pass me a beer." And so it began...

Rather than box and scab onto the old frame, a new frame was built out of 2X4 square tube. I bought another 53 M38A1 and we cut and spliced the body at the door well and aft wheel well, a gain of about 17 inches. New front and rear ends - Dana 44/60, were set at 102" center to center. Lockers, 4 wheel discs, spring over, power steering.
Chevy 350 with throttle body, SM420, Atlas Transfer case, 27 gals custom fuel tank. 250 amp alt, dual batteries, inverter. Custom side panels rolled out of 3/16 aluminum plate, cut in a tailgate, and bobbed the front fenders. Traded the stock military windshield for a civilian model - better field of vision. Added custom seats

It is an absolute kick to drive. Looking forward to some off-road trips this year.

Top Bottom