Portable welder?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I've been wanting to learn to weld for a while now and would like to purchase a welder. Is there one that would both work for the garage and trail use?

I believe the Hobart Trek 180 is no longer made.

Miller makes a portable unit that is about $2K https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/multiprocess/miller-multimatic-200-mig-welder

I don't know anything about welders. What are the best options out there?

Being that miller is hobart parent company, I would be inclined to believe that this is equivalent to the Hobart Trek 220. A 220 setup will give you penitration for pretty much anything you would do on a jeep. That being said, the portable unit looks to be about 2x the price of a standard unit (even something like the Hobart 210 MVP, which can run on both household 110 for smaller jobs, and 220 for full power)

I like the idea of a portable welder, but the price is steep considering I am still learning the art. Miller is a GREAT brand, American made, and I am confident this is a quality product.

In for additional info :thumb:

Edit: checking out the link further, this looks like you will need dedicated power to run this welder, MVP plugs for 110 and 220. I am not seeing any evidence that this unit could be powered on the trail, through a standard power converter off a jeep. You may need a generator if this is the goal. Again, In for additional info.

Last edited:

ttfhell

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Confirmed. You would need a generator or dedicated power source.
120V/20A; or 230V/18A

Source: weldersupply.com

Attachments

• 1461427988680.jpg
    1461427988680.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 282

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Nope. Have 220 in the garage though. Open to suggestions oh wise one.

He's just stating that there doesn't seem to be a completely portable welder... Trail weder (with onboard power supply) on the market today. A lot of the current machines have become much more portable, yes, but they aren't truly take anywhere units like the Trek or Passport.

MTG

Caught the Bug
He's just stating that there doesn't seem to be a completely portable welder... Trail weder (with onboard power supply) on the market today. A lot of the current machines have become much more portable, yes, but they aren't truly take anywhere units like the Trek or Passport.

He's a little bitch and I'm just flicking him shit. ;)

This is an awesome machine. With the ability to Tig, mig and arc all different metals. If I were to buy a welder right now it definitely would be a millermatic 200. The presets or whatever they call it feature on the 200 rocks. Makes setting up and learning your machine a breeze.

Portability wise. Yea you'd need a generator or someone in the group would need to take one.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I just started welding actually was welding today too. IMO I would find a used one on Craigslist. I love the functionality of the ready welder that GoldenJK posted.

During EJS this year, we ran into this. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461472361.690132.jpg

They didn't have even a complete set of tools, let alone know how they would make it off the trail. I pulled out some steel that I carry, some tools and at least carry some rod and a pair of jumper cables. We got busy and another guy brought up a wire feed welder in a box. He had made it from a HF welder. It ran off dual batteries and worked AWESOME!!! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461472536.073183.jpg

They were at least able to put it back together and get off the trail. Going to get one of those for the trail.

Top Bottom