Differential Fluid question

matt87951

I have read all write-ups in this topic, but I have a concern something isn't right. I have a 2013 Rubicon, and I just changed the front and rear differential fluid today. I drained out about 3.5 QT's between front and rear, but only added back in 2.75 QT's between front and rear. Were the differentials way over filled by factory, or is my Jeep not sitting as level as I thought? How I checked for level was front to rear on frame and rock rails. Before I drive the Jeep like this, do I need to check the level a different way?

Fluid did pour out of the fill holes on both differentials when I opened those up, so either the Jeep wasn't level, or they were over full in my opinion. Thoughts?

Desert Crawler

They should take the following amounts:

Front Dana 44
2.7 pints (1.35 quarts)

Rear Dana 44
4.75 pints (2.375 quarts)

I would make sure you are parked on a level surface, remove the fill plugs and see if they will take some more fluid.

matt87951

They should take the following amounts:

Front Dana 44
2.7 pints (1.35 quarts)

Rear Dana 44
4.75 pints (2.375 quarts)

I would make sure you are parked on a level surface, remove the fill plugs and see if they will take some more fluid.

I know how much should go in, that's why I am worried since I didn't put the proper amount in either. I put about 7/8th of a QT in front and about 2 QT in the rear. I parked so the frame was level, that should equate to everything being level, no? I wasn't sure how else I could park to make it level. Keep in mind the Jeep is 100% stock from the perspective of anything that would matter in this case. I did not pull the covers (which are factory), so I assume there is some oil still in them, but because of how much came out, I figure there are two options: 1 - it was overfilled from the factory, 2 - I didn't fill them enough, and need some advice on how to make sure it's "properly" leveled, so I can add more without it coming back out the fill hole.

I will open them both back up now after it's been a good 8-10 hours, see if it's still at the top or if more will go in. It won't be what I consider level though at this point (not based on the frame) but it's just parked in the garage.

CarolinaJK

I just changed my fluid. My front 30 took right at 1 qt. Seemed low but I've quadruple checked and everything still seems full. Who knows [emoji28]

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Disconnect the sway bar and jack up the driver side front. Should give you a little more space inside the diff

utiadam

LOSER
Disconnect the sway bar and jack up the driver side front. Should give you a little more space inside the diff

Will that work since the front axle seals are inside the diff and not at the outside ends of the tubes? Just curious. This whole thread has be a bit stumped as well since i know i put about 1.5 in front and 2.5 in rear.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Will that work since the front axle seals are inside the diff and not at the outside ends of the tubes? Just curious. This whole thread has be a bit stumped as well since i know i put about 1.5 in front and 2.5 in rear.

It'll work a little bit since the fill plug is on the driver side. He won't be able to add another whole quart but he would be able to add some more.

It is easier to do with the rear because of the seals as you mentioned.

utiadam

LOSER
It'll work a little bit since the fill plug is on the driver side. He won't be able to add another whole quart but he would be able to add some more.

It is easier to do with the rear because of the seals as you mentioned.

Ohh yeah that would make sense.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have read all write-ups in this topic, but I have a concern something isn't right. I have a 2013 Rubicon, and I just changed the front and rear differential fluid today. I drained out about 3.5 QT's between front and rear, but only added back in 2.75 QT's between front and rear. Were the differentials way over filled by factory, or is my Jeep not sitting as level as I thought? How I checked for level was front to rear on frame and rock rails. Before I drive the Jeep like this, do I need to check the level a different way?

Fluid did pour out of the fill holes on both differentials when I opened those up, so either the Jeep wasn't level, or they were over full in my opinion. Thoughts?

I had this same concern when I did my regear in my 2015 JKUR. I jacked up the driverside to add more when the gears were brand new. After the break in, I pulled the filler plug and the lube came poring out and made a mess, after draining both diffs, I refilled with the axles level ONLY and have just about what your saying in the axles... This was a whole +/- 750 miles ago, and the jeep seems fine (grain of salt). In for Info as I'm wheeling this weekend for the first time sense the gear swap, and if you need more fluid then I need more fluid. :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
so long as it's level to the fill plug and 1/2 way at the axle tubes you should be fine.

I remember my 1st drain from my stock axles on the 2010 more came out then went in, I do it in the garage fairly level and haven't had any issues.

I think they are slightly overfilled at assembly. If I get the axles serviced at Jiffy lube they always manage to overfill them and I can smell the oil. Not sure how they get so much in but I usually end up pulling the fill plug and draining it level so it doesn't blow out the overflow tubes.

drive it around get it warmed up and check it again once it cools off.

matt87951

I had this same concern when I did my regear in my 2015 JKUR. I jacked up the driverside to add more when the gears were brand new. After the break in, I pulled the filler plug and the lube came poring out and made a mess, after draining both diffs, I refilled with the axles level ONLY and have just about what your saying in the axles... This was a whole +/- 750 miles ago, and the jeep seems fine (grain of salt). In for Info as I'm wheeling this weekend for the first time sense the gear swap, and if you need more fluid then I need more fluid. :thumb:

I'm going wheeling this weekend myself (First time ever for me :blush:), so I want to make sure I get it right. I made it to the airport this morning in one piece, so I feel that's a good sign, I drove about 50-miles at 70MPH. I will check the differentials on Thursday night once I get back home (another 50-miles back home). Might have to wait until Friday morning before I can check them. I'll be putting another 500 miles on the Jeep, plus however much wheeling we do this weekend.

so long as it's level to the fill plug and 1/2 way at the axle tubes you should be fine.

I remember my 1st drain from my stock axles on the 2010 more came out then went in, I do it in the garage fairly level and haven't had any issues.

I think they are slightly overfilled at assembly. If I get the axles serviced at Jiffy lube they always manage to overfill them and I can smell the oil. Not sure how they get so much in but I usually end up pulling the fill plug and draining it level so it doesn't blow out the overflow tubes.

drive it around get it warmed up and check it again once it cools off.

I will make sure to check them. I feel they were way over-filled. I don't see how I could get the Jeep anymore level that it was. Hell, getting it level took just as long as doing the actual fluid change. Last thing I want to do is ruin something on my Jeep right before I actually get to use it like I should have been the past three years. Better late than never I suppose!

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Drdiesel1

I guess no way to really tell, but a decent amount. It wasn't just a little. Less came out the front than the rear through the fill hole.

No, covers stayed on. Only used the plugs (fill plug removed first of course).

This is your answer. Without removing the cover, you'll never get all the fluid out and that's
why you can't get the required amount back in :doh:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
This is your answer. Without removing the cover, you'll never get all the fluid out and that's
why you can't get the required amount back in :doh:

IDK about that, when I did my gear swap, I OBVIOUSLY took the covers off... still could not get the reccomended fluid into the axle on a level surface, had to jack up the driver side of the jeep, and then when it came time to change the fluid after break in, when I removed the filler plug, the lube came gushing out... hense the concern ^^See my post above. :idontknow:

Top Bottom