multiple zj questions

jeepwolf

ok, im trying to lay out a extensive build plan, so far what ive decided on build is as follows, let me know if there is somethign i could do to make it better

Expedition build zj.

D44 front, chromoly axels, arb locker, diff guard, lower control arm guards
Ford 8.8 read, full spool, diff guard
4.88-5.?? gears
37inch tires
coilovers- need help finding types for mine
top out at 6-7.5inch lift for max flex of 37's
small stinger style front bumper or modify my custom one
full steel rear bumper with tire carrier
roof basket with side lights, reverse lights, and 4-6 130watt lighrs or led bar($$ is factor)
rock sliders
depending if my I6(213K miles on it now) hold well to the gear and tire chamge i may rebuild it or swap in a 4bt

qestion on the coilovers is what shocks will give me a, tolerable ride, good flex, durabillity, and 6.5-8inch lift

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, I don't have too much personal experience with ZJ's but, it sounds to me like you've got your bases pretty much covered. Regarding gears, I might go with 5.13's if you're planning to run 37's. As far as front bumper goes, I'm not 100% sure but, I think Hanson might make one for a ZJ. And, as far as coil overs go, that's a tough one as spring rates and valving will make or break a ride. I know that Off Road Evolution has built up a custom ZJ in the past with King coil overs and you might be able to have them build something for you.

jeepwolf

i was looking at kings, but 2400 for coilovers is steep for me, though i paid close that for my lift. gonna do some surfin around to find deals

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i was looking at kings, but 2400 for coilovers is steep for me, though i paid close that for my lift. gonna do some surfin around to find deals

Oh, you can find way better deals, I was just trying to address your "what shocks will give you a tolerable ride". If you can find a setup that has springs rates and valving specific to your ZJ, you'll be good to go. If not, your ride quality on pavement will be up in the air.

My old zj buddies with the 4.0 on 37s did 5.13s for gears. In my ZJ I use to have 4.56s on 33s with the 4.0 and that was a great ratio. so generally 4.88s for 35s and 5.13s for 37s with the 4.0 you an take all the gears down one ratio if you dropped in a v8 ie 4.88s for 37s

If your going 37s I would reconsider the 8.8. I know its a popular swap, but with some heavy 37s on there it would be questionable how long it would last. it might be worth it to look into picking up a 9" or dana 60.

Last think to consider depending on how much travel your coil overs will have you might want to look into re-doing the sway bars if its not going to be a trailer queen. I'm running ati-rock sway bars front and rear on a heavy wj, and with out those driving on the freeway or up mountain roads would suck even more then it does right now.

GetOut

ok, im trying to lay out a extensive build plan, so far what ive decided on build is as follows, let me know if there is somethign i could do to make it better

Expedition build zj.

D44 front, chromoly axels, arb locker, diff guard, lower control arm guards
Ford 8.8 read, full spool, diff guard
4.88-5.?? gears
37inch tires
coilovers- need help finding types for mine
top out at 6-7.5inch lift for max flex of 37's
small stinger style front bumper or modify my custom one
full steel rear bumper with tire carrier
roof basket with side lights, reverse lights, and 4-6 130watt lighrs or led bar($$ is factor)
rock sliders
depending if my I6(213K miles on it now) hold well to the gear and tire chamge i may rebuild it or swap in a 4bt

qestion on the coilovers is what shocks will give me a, tolerable ride, good flex, durabillity, and 6.5-8inch lift

Look at a place called Kevin's Offroad for bumpers, it is a smaller shop out of the Phoenix Area, he built his business around the ZJ platform

Prime8

Look at a place called Kevin's Offroad for bumpers, it is a smaller shop out of the Phoenix Area, he built his business around the ZJ platform

He makes nice looking zj sliders. Square tubular steel, side by side to give a small step as well.

in4low

ZJ Build info

Kevin is ok but hard to get a hold of someone to discuss options and will charge you hourly rate payable by credit card to tell you what he can sell you. you may also want to check with Iron Rock off road & CLS off road and Rusty's Proto fab makes a very nice steel rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. We have done a lot of spring and shock and shock valving on ZJ's & WJ's & WK's if you need help shoot me a message.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I don't think you can beat the quality, and finish of a Hanson bumper for the ZJ. They also have sliders

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rex Havoc

YAY ZJs!

Ha! A fellow Grand owner!
K, Here's my dime store opinions.
D44 front a good call, don't forget the truss, Grands can get heavy quick. (Mine runs 5000 with full tank of fuel)
Ford 8.8 is a good option if the short comings are addressed. Truss is a MUST (poet n didn't know it) as tube thickness is a bit light.
Engine choice will have a big impact on gearing. For 37s, the 5.13s would be right for the 4.0, 4.88s would be OK but may be ify turning 37s at freeway speeds. Now if you go 4BT, that changes everything for gearing. Start looking at 4.11 to 4.56s then. Diesels, they be pure low end grunt motors and that's where they like to run. Don't skimp on drive train component, think of that as the basement of a house, the rest can be changed and altered later with much less effort.
Kane Creek ZJ.jpg

My beastie on Kane Creek.

Top Bottom