Manual or Automatic

Mtb275

Ok, so here is the deal. I'm looking at purchasing a new Jeep. I want your opinions on what your prefer and a brief explanation why. A Manual or Automatic?

Quick background. Jeeps have been in my family for many generations. I had a 48' and now have 2008 JKU sport. Everything is manual in the 08', tranny, doors, window, etc....My wife and I originally purchased the used 08' as a future second vehicle. And as a tow vehicle behind our motor home. I was going to slowly build it into a very capable wheeler. We were then going to buy a nicer SUV for my wife to use as the "soccer mom" car.

Well, plans have changed. After looking at many SUV's, my wife decided she would rather drive our jeep, but wants it with more amenities, specifically cruise control and Bluetooth. So, who am I to argue, off to look at new Jeeps.

I drive a Nice truck for work and I am able to use that for towing, hauling, etc.. I will still need to tow the new Jeep behind our motor home. I know you can flat tow both the automatic and manual. The jeep will be a 2016 JKU Rubicon.

I enjoy driving a manual transmission. To me it is what a jeep (or sports car) is supposed to be. But it is nice to free up your hand to hold a soda while on the trail.

What say you?

Last edited:

Trail JK

Since it will be your wife's car does she have a preference?

Also, not a fan of drinking while driving be it on the trail or road.

GraniteCrystal

Automatic. I also love driving a manual, but only when I have the need...the need for speed. The other 95% of the time it's incredibly nice to have that free hand...reaching for things, dealing with kids, etc. Plus cruise control is a must have. Even in the city, I use it constantly.

It's OK to feel like you're betraying your roots when you buy an automatic. But you'll start feeling better about it after a month.

Also, don't drink and drive, especially on a trail.

Mtb275

Since it will be your wife's car does she have a preference?

Also, not a fan of drinking while driving be it on the trail or road.

She doesn't care either way. Her first car was a manual.

In my opinion a beer is not bad to have, getting buzzed or drunk is. Maybe I should edit the post to say soda.

jeeeep

Hooked
Automatic.... with the option of tap shift on the newer models you get the best of both manual and automatic

Ctimrun

I thought I was going to get the manual, but am glad I drove the auto with the new 3.6, was surprised how well it drove. I say at least drive one (if you haven't already) then go from there. For a family wagon I would go auto.

Mtb275

I thought I was going to get the manual, but am glad I drove the auto with the new 3.6, was surprised how well it drove. I say at least drive one (if you haven't already) then go from there. For a family wagon I would go auto.

I should go drive one. And it will be more than a family wagon. It will get built up to be a capable wheeler.

My wife said she also wants the rims with the bolts around the outside....... I got a laugh out of that one. Beadlocks with 37's will be added at some point.

swampdog

I love my manual, when wheeling I definitely understand and can recognize the automatic makes it much easier, but a well geared manual JK is an absolute blast offroad.

mastrcruse

Auto. I had an auto in the DFW traffic and it wasn't fun. If it was just a offroad rig or "fun" vehicle I might reconsider but glad I have one that I don't have to push a clutch.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I've had the 2016 JK Rubicon in Automatic and have wheeled about 4 times so far. I am VERY impressed with the gearing and the transmission. Gone are the days of HUGE jumps in the shifts when in 4-Lo. I remember when it would go from 1-2 automatically and it when surge. No more. Having the vehicle in 4-Lo is great of easy trails in which I can get up to 25-30 no problem. The internal gearing is really nice.

The bonus is when you go to semi-automatic shifting, in which you can pick your gear and it will stay. This was VERY helpful in descents and such. It would just crawl.

Just get the Automatic and you will have no regrets.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
My first jeep was a 2012 2 door rubicon with a manual. I loved it, and still kind of miss it at times. When I got my 4 door, I went automatic and at first I was like " Well that was a stupid decision what the hell was wrong with me".....Untill I took it wheeling and I love it offroad. Not that you dont have control with manual, but its so nice to be able to crawl even slower than you could without having to deal with a clutch. For my 2nd car I typically tend to have but always switch out, its always manual to keep me happy.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
For me I love my auto my wife drives the jeep everyday so I would stay auto just for her, but it's also nice with the auto because out on the trail I feel like there's to much going on with a manual aha idk how some of those guys can wheel a manual on some of these trails. To much to pay attention to aha.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Automatic.... with the option of tap shift on the newer models you get the best of both manual and automatic

49540174.jpg

Automatic. I also love driving a manual, but only when I have the need...the need for speed. The other 95% of the time it's incredibly nice to have that free hand...reaching for things, dealing with kids, etc. Plus cruise control is a must have. Even in the city, I use it constantly.

It's OK to feel like you're betraying your roots when you buy an automatic. But you'll start feeling better about it after a month.

Also, don't drink and drive, especially on a trail.

No you wont, If you wanted manual, you will always want manual. At least thats how I was with my first and only automatic trans car Ive ever had. I was so glad when it was gone. :doh:

I love my manual, when wheeling I definitely understand and can recognize the automatic makes it much easier, but a well geared manual JK is an absolute blast offroad.

If you truly loved manuals, you wouldn't ask. Go for the automatic.

This the the truth.

Top Bottom