Flat Tow

tkettle

Does anyone have any experience flat towing a JKU behind a motorhome? Any advice is appreciated!!!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Don't do this. This guys tow point broke off. He drove it from the freeway off the off ramp and into the parking lot with only one chain connected. No damage to truck or motorhome. Lol safety third

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461715565.482783.jpg

tkettle

I guess I was just looking for words of advice, any issues to watch out for? I assume you just put the Tcase in neutral and hook it up? Also, any recommendations for brand tow kit/ braking kit?

Mtb275

There are lots of options for tow kit. If you have a stock bumper you can use most kits you find online. Check Craigslist. I actually have a mount for a Jeep I would sell you cheap. My front bumper is aftermarket, so I came up with something a little different.

Brake system, most states require them, I like the invisibrake, I don't have it, but it looks the best to me.

Mtb275

Oh and you can use your stock lights. There is a plug and play kit you can buy. Real simple install. Gives you a 4 prong at front of Jeep.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461717722.748934.jpg

TennJK

We flat tow my rig and the biggest thing that I've encountered is making absolute sure that everything is perfect before you leave. Also someone makes a pressure monitor that gives you live readings of the pressure and temperature. I've had some expensive mistakes, but if you do it right then it works great. IMG_9126.jpg

tkettle

We flat tow my rig and the biggest thing that I've encountered is making absolute sure that everything is perfect before you leave. Also someone makes a pressure monitor that gives you live readings of the pressure and temperature. I've had some expensive mistakes, but if you do it right then it works great. View attachment 200307

Please forgive the noob questions , but pressure and temp of what?

tkettle

There are lots of options for tow kit. If you have a stock bumper you can use most kits you find online. Check Craigslist. I actually have a mount for a Jeep I would sell you cheap. My front bumper is aftermarket, so I came up with something a little different.

Brake system, most states require them, I like the invisibrake, I don't have it, but it looks the best to me.

Thanks for the offer, but I also have an aftermarket bumper (aluminum). I guess I will need to look at a new one with front shackles... Happen to remember the brand of the light wiring kit?

TennJK

Please forgive the noob questions , but pressure and temp of what?

The air in the tire. If the heat spikes up then you know you have a problem. Mine got so hot that I melted the caps on my stems. Definitely good insurance to have

Mtb275

Thanks for the offer, but I also have an aftermarket bumper (aluminum). I guess I will need to look at a new one with front shackles... Happen to remember the brand of the light wiring kit?

Hopkins. Just google flat row wiring harness for jeep. A few options. Mine was in the $80ish rang

Taumsauk

Been flat towing my Rubicon since 2012. I've pulled it from St. Louis to 43 states over the past 4 years with zero issues. I cannot speak highly enough of blue ox for making a great tow bar and shrockworks for making an incredible front bumper. These two mate up perfectly and the design of thee shrockworks shackles is bombproof. They are unlike any others on the market (at least that I've ever seen). Happy to answer any questions if it helps you out!

Taumsauk

A few pics of my Jeep being flat towed and a closer up shot of my bumper.

Attachments

• 1464067433947.jpg
    1464067433947.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 1464067459412.jpg
    1464067459412.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 1464067584613.jpg
    1464067584613.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 181
Top Bottom