10 Hour JK Ride With Young Kids

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Going on a family vacation to Gulf Shores, AL the last week of June. We were planning on renting a minivan due to my wife's concern with the comfort our 18 month old and 3.5 year old being in car seats. She thinks they'll be uncomfortable in the back seat of my JKU. I assured her that they won't care because they're in the car seats anyway. We plan to get a hotel halfway through the the trip going there, but we'll be driving straight through on the way back. What are your thoughts, experiences, etc.?

The minivan would be more comfortable for mom and dad. Kids won't care either way. Take breaks and let them run around. I try to drive at night/while they sleep to make up time that way.

Being that the kids are in car seats, it won't make a difference to them at all. We've made that drive, and a number of other long trips, with the kids in a variety of vehicles. I would venture to say it would be much more comfortable for the adults though. Have a great vacation!!

bonedaddy

They will be fine, i have a 4 yr and 2 yr and we have done runs up to GA from FL a number of times, the girls did just fine! And we didn't even stop a long the way ... Just for gas and potty breaks ...

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Our plan is to leave after work on Friday and drive as far as we can before stopping for the night. I've been known to drive all night and that may be the case too, depends on how tired I get. We'd take my wife's Honda, but it's pushing 170,000 miles, I'm not worried about the mileage because it's the most reliable car I've ever owned, but it's certainly the most uncomfortable also. I'm gonna try and convince her that we're taking the Jeep, but we may still look into renting a van. My sister-in-law got quotes earlier today, but I'm gonna see what I can work out with Enterprise because I get a discount through work, we'll see what happens...

Ddays

Hooked
Ditto on the car seats for the kids deal. They'll either be miserable or happy as clams but the vehicle won't matter. Did Atlanta to Pittsburgh non-stop twice; Once with two screaming kids and the other time they played games the whole way. Go figure....

As far as the vehicle for adults, I just did 18 hours non-stop last week twice on a trip and I gotta tell ya, I was not tired at all from driving the Jeep. The seating position felt great the whole way and other than the shitty 300 mile range of these bastards, I coulda gone for hours more between stops...

Edit - gas is still cheap too! Didn't cost me an arm & a leg.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Luis And I drove 32 hours none stop. 10 hours is nothing. when we go out wheeling it's 12 plus bouncing around in it.

Take the jeep !

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Take the jeep! I just drove cross country for the Moab run in mine! 33+ hours one way!!! Would do it all over again in a heartbeat

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Take the jeep, or u will wish u had it and regret not taking it.

That's what I told my wife, when else will we have a chance to cruise along the beach with the top down and maybe even the doors off!

We drove it from home to Gatlinburg, TN a couple years ago, it's about the same distance and both of us were comfortable the whole trip.

The van would cost us close to $500 for 10 days up to 1,100 miles, $0.25 per mile after that. It's 730 miles from home to Gulf Shores, so we'll be way over that 1,100 miles. So I figured the rental would cost $600 or so in the end. Driving our own vehicle just makes more sense financially.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
That's what I told my wife, when else will we have a chance to cruise along the beach with the top down and maybe even the doors off!

We drove it from home to Gatlinburg, TN a couple years ago, it's about the same distance and both of us were comfortable the whole trip.

The van would cost us close to $500 for 10 days up to 1,100 miles, $0.25 per mile after that. It's 730 miles from home to Gulf Shores, so we'll be way over that 1,100 miles. So I figured the rental would cost $600 or so in the end. Driving our own vehicle just makes more sense financially.

Grab her purse and take your balls back, then take the jeep !

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Going on a family vacation to Gulf Shores, AL the last week of June. We were planning on renting a minivan due to my wife's concern with the comfort our 18 month old and 3.5 year old being in car seats. She thinks they'll be uncomfortable in the back seat of my JKU. I assured her that they won't care because they're in the car seats anyway. We plan to get a hotel halfway through the the trip going there, but we'll be driving straight through on the way back. What are your thoughts, experiences, etc.?

In February we did the haul from VA to FL that is a 13 hour drive with a 1 and 3 yr old. We didn't stop going either way.

There were periods of laugher and periods of screams and tears. I wont lie to you and say it was sunshine and rainbows. Overall it saved us from a hotel bill where we wouldn't sleep anyways because the kids would be playing.

Were they uncomfortable? No idea, they can't tell me yet. ;)

We were riding with my brother and his kids in his tahoe last summer and I almost drove separate to have the Jeep! I've driven mine non-stop to and from CO it's not too bad. Of course I wasn't on 37's then :-D

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Just make sure you get your attenuator installed before you go! :yup:

Don't know if we'll have to worry too much about them screaming the whole way, they're pretty good in the car and hopefully they'll be sleeping most of the trip.

Top Bottom