How to Wheel in the snow

deezus

Another how do you do this noob thread. Here goes, I was out ion the snow, came up to a patch of snow that was maybe 20" deep if that, tried to go through it got stuck in 4hi, so I switched to 4lo still stuck. Put lockers on and had to really spin tires to get out. My question is what is the best way(safest) to wheel in the snow? Is it safe to spin wheels in 4lo with lockers on?
My rig:
2013 JKUR
3.5" RK Xfactor
5.13 gears
Nitto TG 37"

I ask because I have searched the web and don't really see any videos of proper procedures to use lockers and 4 wheel drive. I see people going through deeper snow than me and they are blazing through it so I'm sure its me not doing it properly.

Thanks!

Last edited:

TFD

4hi unless you're in really deep snow. Get a winch and go with a group. You don't want to get stuck in deep snow alone.

TrailHunter

Hooked
My Snow story.... 15 years ago I borrowed my buddies crew cab Superduty on 35's and headed to the Sierras with my girlfriend.... One afternoon we headed for a trail we had been through in the summer. About 2 miles in, the snow started getting really deep but I kept plowing.... thinking I was invincible....Before I knew it, the truck was buried over its axles. After an hour of trying with no luck, she started hiking for the main road for help (she was very familiar with the area). The next 3 hours I tried every trick in the book.... My balls were numb from laying in the snow and my hands were killing me from the cold. All I had was a hammer and some towels. It was the towels packed under the air downed 35's that finally set me free. I hauled ass back, meeting her and a local guy in a truck at the trail entrance. The sun was setting and a snow storm was on it's way so I was grateful and mad at myself at the same time. I look back now at how unprepared and stupid I was.... Unprepared because I had no tools or supplies and Stupid because I should of left that crazy ass no good b&$@h in that guys truck and headed straight home....saving myself from 3 more years of total misery.... The End.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My Snow story.... 15 years ago I borrowed my buddies crew cab Superduty on 35's and headed to the Sierras with my girlfriend.... One afternoon we headed for a trail we had been through in the summer. About 2 miles in, the snow started getting really deep but I kept plowing.... thinking I was invincible....Before I knew it, the truck was buried over its axles. After an hour of trying with no luck, she started hiking for the main road for help (she was very familiar with the area). The next 3 hours I tried every trick in the book.... My balls were numb from laying in the snow and my hands were killing me from the cold. All I had was a hammer and some towels. It was the towels packed under the air downed 35's that finally set me free. I hauled ass back, meeting her and a local guy in a truck at the trail entrance. The sun was setting and a snow storm was on it's way so I was grateful and mad at myself at the same time. I look back now at how unprepared and stupid I was.... Unprepared because I had no tools or supplies and Stupid because I should of left that crazy ass no good b&$@h in that guys truck and headed straight home....saving myself from 3 more years of total misery.... The End.

The ending is the best. :cheesy:

WJCO

Meme King
Another fun tip for snow. Carry a snow shovel of some type. They make some small compact ones now. It can save your ass for not only digging out the Jeep but for your own health and safety. And if you're going into those conditions, always carry a warm jacket and/or sleeping bag for the conditions you may encounter.

deezus

Another fun tip for snow. Carry a snow shovel of some type. They make some small compact ones now. It can save your ass for not only digging out the Jeep but for your own health and safety. And if you're going into those conditions, always carry a warm jacket and/or sleeping bag for the conditions you may encounter.

Thanks. Good advice

deezus

I air down my tires (similar setup to yours) to 11 psi every time I'm offroad, and may try 9 in the rear next time I am out.

Ok. I am going to take that into account really appreciate the feedback. So in the snow I could put it in 4 low and don't have to use lockers right?

swampdog

Ok. I am going to take that into account really appreciate the feedback. So in the snow I could put it in 4 low and don't have to use lockers right?

I'm in NC so I don't have too much experience with snow, but from my understanding, lockers are a no no in ice / snow.

Top Bottom