Detailing your jeep

Platty

I am a keen detailer, which may not be compatible with owning a Jeep.
Anyone else into detailing there Jeep?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I spray it with the pressure washer every once in a while. But in the summer the top and doors are off for like 6 months so it gets really dusty inside and I don't worry about it. Although I am going to clean the inside tomorrow.

Donny

Very hard to OVERLY detail here in the desert...but I wheel on Sat and after church on sunday I spend about two hours going over DOZILLA :rock:

It's very relaxing and it's fun to spend time with my grandson.

Donny

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Oh yeah, I really try hard to keep my Jeep detailed but nobody is a keener detailer than GCM 2 :D

GCM 2

I love detailing any vehicle! I posted this up before somewhere, but this last JK Experience I went from clean, to muddy, to detailing, back to clean. Like it never saw mud

Attachments

• image-4093679607.jpg
    image-4093679607.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,314
  • image-903915753.jpg
    image-903915753.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,318
  • image-1690127375.jpg
    image-1690127375.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 1,359
  • image-1071091310.jpg
    image-1071091310.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 1,363
  • image-4006975934.jpg
    image-4006975934.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,343
  • image-1229162860.jpg
    image-1229162860.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,350
  • image-1608213032.jpg
    image-1608213032.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 1,367

JAGS

Hooked
I love detailing any vehicle! I posted this up before somewhere, but this last JK Experience I went from clean, to muddy, to detailing, back to clean. Like it never saw mud

Hey GCM2, any idea where that write up is at? I've tried to find it in the past as you had some great pointers in there about engine, undercarriage and wheel well/fender detailing. :thumb:But I can't ever seem to find it? Maybe someone else remembers and can link. GCM2 mentioned the products and process.

At the time i read it I had never been in thick mud so couldn't appreciate it. I've been out in mud several times since and boy.....:crazyeyes:...cleaning is an art form.

Atch

Yep I detail mine often. There is nothing wrong with keeping a clean jeep, i typically detail mine after I get home from wheeling trips. This time of yr I wash my jeep once a week to wash all the salt off.

FuriousDz

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????? Do you really take everything apart? Now that is dedication!
Wish I had the time and space to be able to go that far. I still have mud from the last wheeling trip in places i THOUGHT I cleaned. Any tips you have for getting the mud stains off the soft top/anything plastic and engine compartment are appreciated. :thumb:

MUD.jpg

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????? Do you really take everything apart? Now that is dedication!
Wish I had the time and space to be able to go that far. I still have mud from the last wheeling trip in places i THOUGHT I cleaned. Any tips you have for getting the mud stains off the soft top/anything plastic and engine compartment are appreciated. :thumb:

View attachment 11043

Before I go in the mud, I use black magic clear tire shine on all my plastic.. its keeps the mud from sticking....:idontknow:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can use simple green on your engine and I would imagine your soft top as well. Spray it one, let it sit for a minute then spray it off. Should make it shine.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug

That is very cool! How many hours does it take to get the mud ALL the way out? Man I though I was anal :cheesy:

I just found out it takes a fuzzy rag to get all the light colored dirt out of the texture of the dash. Man that stuff was hard to get clean! I used to have a F150 Platinum and I was a super freak about keeping it clean. Since I got the Jeep I'm a lot more laid back.

Thanks for the Pics! :thumb:

GCM 2

........Do you really take everything apart? ..... Any tips you have for getting the mud stains off the soft top/anything plastic and engine compartment are appreciated. :thumb:

I don't have to take everything apart every time because out here in the desert things dont get nearly as dirty as the rest of the world. As for cleaning the soft top; buy a big can of foaming tire cleaner, a large sponge or wash mitten and go to town. It will remove most stains and bring the top back to a like new condition. If the stains are not wanting to go away, use a little more soaking of the foam in those spots. I would not do this every wash, but I do my soft top once or twice a year and after 4 years it still looks great.

That is very cool! How many hours does it take to get the mud ALL the way out? Man I though I was anal :cheesy:

I just found out it takes a fuzzy rag to get all the light colored dirt out of the texture of the dash. Man that stuff was hard to get clean! I used to have a F150 Platinum and I was a super freak about keeping it clean. Since I got the Jeep I'm a lot more laid back.

Thanks for the Pics! :thumb:

Really I just don't let the crud build up. The JKX is a special event that covers more miles than most guys will wheel all year, so doing a quick wash down along the route when possible is a great help. But when I am at home in AZ, I just clean it after I have hit the trails for a weekend. Sometimes the jeep sits all week after a weekend of wheeling because I am traveling for work, I just look forward to cleaning when I get home. Drives my wife nuts!
-The tip of using Foaming tire cleaner I mentioned above, well I also spray my armor, rock sliders, bumper, axles, frame rails (and underbody once or twice a year) with it too after a good wash. Basically any black metal gets sprayed to prevent staining and corrosion. I DON"T SPRAY COILOVERS OR SHOCKS, stains the aluminum body really bad.
-The paint, it gets spray washed and foaming brushed washed at the carwash near my house (yes a foam brush, its a jeep, not a Ferrari, its going to get scratched on the trails anyway). After the wash, I dry with a big micro-fiber absorbent towel, like a new space age spongy chamois material. I use spray on quick detailer wax after every wash, and I use a high quality carnuba hand wax once or twice a year. Here is something many have seen me do, and I do it to all my rides: buy a California Duster (a big rectangular mop for wiping the paint of your car) and wipe the vehicle off a few times a week or as much as you want between washes. It really does keep the paint clean, especially out here in the desert dust.
-The interior, gets vacuumed practically every wash. I run with out a top almost 90% of the year and it collects dust and leaves from being out and open. I also pull the carpets out once or twice a year (or as needed after nasty wheeling trips) and spray wash the entire inside, and also wash the carpets. Some guys hate carpets, I did not have them in my CJ-5, CJ-7, J20 or TJ, but I kept the carpets in my JK and I like it. It keeps the heat out from the underside and most importantly, keeps the noise down big time. Unfortunately, I have a 2009 craptastic plastic interior, not much to look at compared to the new models but I do wipe it down every wash with something like Turtlewax ICE interior/exterior treatment and it works awesome on plastic.

Not much more than that, because I stay on top of all the cleaning regularly it makes it easy. A post-JKX cleanup; 2-3 days of serious cleaning, 5-6 hours a day at a minimum. A usual saturday wash down; 1 1/2 hours to wash, dry, wax, vacuum, armor all tires and black metal parts.
Easy as that brother :rock:

Last edited:

FuriousDz

I don't have to take everything apart every time because out here in the desert things dont get nearly as dirty as the rest of the world. As for cleaning the soft top; buy a big can of foaming tire cleaner, a large sponge or wash mitten and go to town. It will remove most stains and bring the top back to a like new condition. If the stains are not wanting to go away, use a little more soaking of the foam in those spots. I would not do this every wash, but I do my soft top once or twice a year and after 4 years it still looks great.

Really I just don't let the crud build up. The JKX is a special event that covers more miles than most guys will wheel all year, so doing a quick wash down along the route when possible is a great help. But when I am at home in AZ, I just clean it after I have hit the trails for a weekend. Sometimes the jeep sits all week after a weekend of wheeling because I am traveling for work, I just look forward to cleaning when I get home. Drives my wife nuts!
-The tip of using Foaming tire cleaner I mentioned above, well I also spray my armor, rock sliders, bumper, axles, frame rails (and underbody once or twice a year) with it too after a good wash. Basically any black metal gets sprayed to prevent staining and corrosion. I DON"T SPRAY COILOVERS OR SHOCKS, stains the aluminum body really bad.
-The paint, it gets spray washed and foaming brushed washed at the carwash near my house (yes a foam brush, its a jeep, not a Ferrari, its going to get scratched on the trails anyway). After the wash, I dry with a big micro-fiber absorbent towel, like a new space age spongy chamois material. I use spray on quick detailer wax after every wash, and I use a high quality carnuba hand wax once or twice a year. Here is something many have seen me do, and I do it to all my rides: buy a California Duster (a big rectangular mop for wiping the paint of your car) and wipe the vehicle off a few times a week or as much as you want between washes. It really does keep the paint clean, especially out here in the desert dust.
-The interior, gets vacuumed practically every wash. I run with out a top almost 90% of the year and it collects dust and leaves from being out and open. I also pull the carpets out once or twice a year (or as needed after nasty wheeling trips) and spray wash the entire inside, and also wash the carpets. Some guys hate carpets, I did not have them in my CJ-5, CJ-7, J20 or TJ, but I kept the carpets in my JK and I like it. It keeps the heat out from the underside and most importantly, keeps the noise down big time. Unfortunately, I have a 2009 craptastic plastic interior, not much to look at compared to the new models but I do wipe it down every wash with something like Turtlewax ICE interior/exterior treatment and it works awesome on plastic.

Not much more than that, because I stay on top of all the cleaning regularly it makes it easy. A post-JKX cleanup; 2-3 days of serious cleaning, 5-6 hours a day at a minimum. A usual saturday wash down; 1 1/12 hours to wash, dry, wax, vacuum, armor all tires and black metal parts.

Thanks a bunch! Never would have thought about using the tire foam cleaner, excellent idea :clap2:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I use Wizard's Vinyl Shine for the interior plastic and leather...or pleather. 3M Commercial Car Soap. California Duster. SM Arnold Absorber to dry. If I want to get real crazy when not using the car wash wax I'll use Liquid Glass as a polish...very rare though.

JAGS

Hooked
-The tip of using Foaming tire cleaner .......
-The paint, it gets spray washed and foaming brushed washed at the carwash near my house.......dry with a big micro-fiber absorbent towel..... spray on quick detailer wax ......carnuba hand wax once or twice a year. ......California Duster
-The interior, gets vacuumed practically every wash. ....... pull the carpets out once or twice a year and spray wash the entire inside, and also wash the carpets. .....craptastic plastic interior, not much to look at compared to the new models but I do wipe it down every wash with something like Turtlewax ICE interior/exterior treatment and it works awesome on plastic.

Not much more than that, because I stay on top of all the cleaning regularly it makes it easy. A post-JKX cleanup; 2-3 days of serious cleaning, 5-6 hours a day at a minimum. A usual saturday wash down; 1 1/2 hours to wash, dry, wax, vacuum, armor all tires and black metal parts.

Kind of cliff noted a bit, but that was almost a carbon copy of the info I was searching for. Thanks for taking time to post this again. :thumb: I understand it takes time to detail, but I like how you listed the products you use. It's going on the shopping list for tomorrow. I'm also going to print this out for safe keeping. :yup:

Serg5000

This past weekend I used Turtle wax ice on the hard top I have hanging in the garage. I have had it for four years and it was looking a little rough. The desert sun is a mofo here. I will say that after giving it a few coats with that spray wax it looks like new. Thank you for the heads up on that stuff.

i also stay on top of cleaning our jeep. I clean it after every run. I use the shop vac after every wash. it looks good for being an 08.

Top Bottom