Extended Warranty: Keep it or ditch it??

JethroJK

I bought a 6 year/100,000 mile extended warranty when I bought my 2012 JKUR. One reason is I put a lot of miles on vehicles and wanted something to cover the vehicle for a few years vice mileage. 36K will be used up in about 1.5 - 2 years easy.

I paid $2000 for it and it has a $100 deductible, it is the Platinum level coverage, highest you can get.

I like the comfort of having a extended warranty. Unfortunately all I have heard is "bad" about Chrysler warranties and after I start modifying it I feel like they are going to use those modifications to deny any claim under the warranty.

So my question is should I keep it or get a refund? The refund will go towards the loan but it is that much less I have to pay towards the vehicle.

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks. :thinking:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well first if you drive it that much what are you planning to mod? If you drive 36,000 miles in 1.5 years I would touch anything on it as gas would suck I wouldn't be keeping the vehicle long either.

I didn't get the extended warranty just for the fact that I plan to mod my jeep and didn't feel like paying extra and then maybe have it voided.

JethroJK

The plan is a 2.5 inch lift, some 35s, and bumpers. All of which after the factory warranty runs out which should be in about 9-10 months.
Understand what you are saying about gas but it is what it is.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
The dealer voided my factory warranty after they seen my Jeep had been modified. We immediately cashed in our extended warranty. Different people have had different experiences. Our Jeep has been highly modified which could have led to them voiding the warranty. It is what it is, but for me the extended warranty money went right back into the Jeep. :rock::brows:

JethroJK

The dealer voided my factory warranty after they seen my Jeep had been modified. We immediately cashed in our extended warranty. Different people have had different experiences. Our Jeep has been highly modified which could have led to them voiding the warranty. It is what it is, but for me the extended warranty money went right back into the Jeep. :rock::brows:

That is what I am afraid of happening. Thanks

Deuane

Having a new bumper, 2.5 inch of lift, and 35 inch of tire is no big deal on the warranty.. the bumper is flenzy anyway, the tire, it get worn like any other vehicles. With 2.5 inch of lift, they will deny to work on your suspension, any suspension issue, just keep your extended warranty. Any major custom to your jeep Like having an ARB air lock on your front and rear differential.. OR having a rubicrawler -twin stick. they will not touch your transmission or change your transmission fluid, and they will not touch differential too.

JethroJK

Having a new bumper, 2.5 inch of lift, and 35 inch of tire is no big deal on the warranty.. the bumper is flenzy anyway, the tire, it get worn like any other vehicles. With 2.5 inch of lift, they will deny to work on your suspension, any suspension issue, just keep your extended warranty. Any major custom to your jeep Like having an ARB air lock on your front and rear differential.. OR having a rubicrawler -twin stick. they will not touch your transmission or change your transmission fluid, and they will not touch differential too.

The things you mentioned though are the main reasons that I feel like just getting a refund. Ultimately the warranty will only cover like electronic stuff by the time I get done. Suspension, transmission (which they will say is caused by the lift), intake issue (cold air intake), etc. So I just feel that if I keep it I have a slim percentage (20%) chance of ever really using it and getting my money's worth. Now if I keep it stock and just roll that way, then it makes since to keep it. But even with that, I read about others having issues getting factory warranty work completed, so how much luck will I have with an extended warranty? Really think I am just going to get a refund but still thinking...

:thinking::yawn37:

egalv55

How do u go about getting your warranties refunded I have the complete warranty it cost a decent amount and then decided to get bigger tires and a lift so its basically useless now haha

JethroJK

How do u go about getting your warranties refunded I have the complete warranty it cost a decent amount and then decided to get bigger tires and a lift so its basically useless now haha

Call the dealership where you got it and they have a person that does it. Just as for them. Some car makers allow the dealership to complete the refund some require the dealership to deal with them. Not sure how Chrysler does it. But start by asking dealership.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
The factory warranty had no cash value, although i argued heavily that it did. The dealer handled the paperwork to cash in the extended warranty. We had a check in less than a week.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I never had any real experience with off-roading or Jeeps when I bought my 2008. I figured that since I was so new to it all that I would err on the side of caution. I bought the Rubicon because it already had lockers and all the other bells and whistles designed into it and I wouldn't have to wrestle mentally with additional equipment later.

I also bought the extended lifetime warrantee because I figured this would be my one and only Jeep until I was too old to drive. If there was any design flaw, the dealership would cover it and my wallet would be reasonably safe.

Over the years I have modified my Jeep quite a bit, learned a great deal about the mechanics, and have driven in some very challenging situations. Not to mention the terrific people I have met.

Closing in on 90,000 miles with the Jeep. I have never had a need for the lifetime warrantee. All repairs were for items not covered; items like the clutch and tires that are excluded because of normal wear and tear.

In retrospect: most, if not all, of the possible things that could go wrong would not be as expensive as that warrantee.

p.s. I bought a 2013 Rubicon. The lifetime warrantee was not offered and I didn't take the extended warrantee. Just my decision to face the future knowing that any major failures of the Jeep will come directly out of my wallet and not from a "safety deposit" called a warrantee.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I got the extended warranty last June and ditched it in July after having a discussion with the dealership's service advisor. When I brought my JK in for the first complimentary oil change the advisor was all over the vehicle like a tent. When I asked him what he was looking for he said, "Any mods that might void the warranty." That's a red light. They're looking for ways to not get involved in maintaining the warranty. I get it that if I center punch a tree on a muddy hill climb in Indiana it's on me, but I don't want a battle over the factory lockers 'cause I've got 285 tires on it. I don't want to pay for something I hope to never use, and when I need it, I can't use it. I'm gonna use the refund for a starter kitty for mods and repairs.:twocents:

TacPen

Banned
What amazes me is that Jeep makes this vehicle, pretends to pander to the community and then looks for ways to void the warranty (at least that's the impression I get from reading the various forums). It just seems like a crappy thing to do, especially since they're cashing in on the customer base (record Jeep Wrangler sales in 2012).

Moochie

TacPen said:
What amazes me is that Jeep makes this vehicle, pretends to pander to the community and then looks for ways to void the warranty (at least that's the impression I get from reading the various forums). It just seems like a crappy thing to do, especially since they're cashing in on the customer base (record Jeep Wrangler sales in 2012).

For what I do with my Jeep I think my dealership has been very fair with any warranty claims that I have had.

MTG

Caught the Bug
For what I do with my Jeep I think my dealership has been very fair with any warranty claims that I have had.

I've seen what you do to your jeep (at night, in the dark) and you should be ashamed of yourself. ;) :cheesy:

Moochie

MTG said:
I've seen what you do to your jeep (at night, in the dark) and you should be ashamed of yourself. ;) :cheesy:

I thought I saw you peeping through the garage window.

Top Bottom